Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

americans with their hand out

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,548 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

No, ninja your wrong.  Every year tuition goes up to much the higher amount the government has to loan out.  Then the universities spend the money they don't need to pay employees and bills to build huge decoration stuff to draw mor students through their doors.  They have to spend that money, if they don't the governmentwll take it away from them and cut the next years by that amont

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#62    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 20 July 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

If we made college free you realize that it would make having a college degree almost as useful has having a G.E.D. Employers wouldn't have to pay a lot for specialized workers since everyone would be specialized. Plus none thing is free, it just means taking more money from everyone's paychecks.

You're looking at it backwards. I said we would need to have trade schools open as well. Without those, free education would be worthless. Public education is free and we're wasting millions by trying to make students stay in school till 12th grade and graduate. It's time we took the stigma off of not having a high school diploma. If students were offered trades beginning at 8th grade, we'd save a ton of money by letting them learn something useful. As for college degrees being worthless, you have to look at what college should actually be. Right now it's no more than a gussied up high school. There are students who can't read, write, or do simple math. There would be requirements. If a student hasn't learned in high school what he needs to enter college with, then he will have to pay for courses to bring him up to par. College shouldn't be for teaching the basics. And I'm speaking as one who graduated high school while only be able to do third grade math and had to do my catch-up in the community colleges.

And I don't think there would be a glut on the market - a lot of people simply don't have the time and dedication to finish a degree. But what would happen is that if colleges were stricter on admissions and the degrees themselves actually meant anything, then the hiring market would know they were hiring a quality employee instead of just a college name on a diploma, like Stanford or Yale. I think it would even out: we have a bunch of college graduates now that should be selling gas and we have a ton of bright, ambitious people who could do brilliant work in the sciences, for instance, if they only had the chance. Our colleges now train people from India, Japan, Korea. Reason? They can pay. Americans can't. We're losing our technological edge. Why can't we educate Americans who want it, rather than foreigners who will only take their training back home with them?

And even if we can't make college free, at least we can make it cheaper. There's something sick in the universities of California raising the tuition while giving their presidents a raise in the same year. Almost as sick as Anthem Blue Cross raising their premiums 18% for 630,000 members after posting their largest profit ever.

View Postdanielost, on 20 July 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

A ceo's first job is to make money for tge investers.

A CEOs first job is a responsibility to the consumer, then to his employees, and if he does that with fair play, honor and commitment, the money for his investors will be there.

Let's take Sprint. In this area they hold training classes, approximately 3 to 5 classes 2 to 3 times a year for new hires. Why? Because they treat their employees like crap and the turnover is unbelievable. Their sign here says "Hiring" constantly. Their reputation is so bad that anyone who is let go is automatically considered for unemployment payments. People here in the community know about them. The desperate ones take the 7 week training course just to earn that money, knowing they won't last out on the floor more than a month or two. It costs Sprint $100,000 per class. That's about a million to a million and a half every year just to train new employees. At one center. And there are centers throughout the US. And to top it all off, care to guess how much the CEO makes every year? In millions? Now, I don't know about you, but as an investor, I'd be pretty ticked off about that. And as anyone here with a cell phone who has had to call Sprint for customer service, you know how bad the service is and how high the rates have jumped. Now you don't have to wonder why anymore.

View Postdanielost, on 20 July 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

The reason why you interact with get paid minimum wages is because anyone can do the job.  Not everyone can be a surgeon, anybody can be a janiter.  Also the surgeon has gone to school for ten plus years and under supervision for who knows how long.  So they have earened their wages.  Are they to high probable.

Insurance might have something to do with surgeons salaries and the high charges from hospitals and doctors. You have to add in the little things, too. For instance, the administrator of a hospital in California is guaranteed a million dollar a year along with a new car every year, just by reason of her position. Is she really so important in her job that she needs a million dollars AND a new car every year? I don't think so. When you get your next doctor's bill, let me know what you think about it.

View Postdanielost, on 20 July 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

The same goes for ceos, they have more responsability than the casher does.

I tell you what. Let's have all the counter employees at Kinko's, for example, go on a tear and start acting in accordance with their wages and importance. They'd ignore customers, they'd do jobs wrong, they'd be rude, they'd run down their own company, they wouldn't help anyone when asked. Why shouldn't they do all those things, anyway? After all, the only important person in the company is the CEO. He does more than anyone else, right? Let's have all those employees quit "working for the company". As important as that CEO is, you really think he can carry the company by himself? That despite bad employees, he's going to make a profit on the market? Well, maybe he can. Look at Sprint. But are you happy with Sprint? And are you so conditioned to being the victim that you just accept being treated like that because "that's the way it is"? Will you get used to going into stores and having clerks tell you to shut up and wait your turn? Don't you think you're worthy of more respect than that? Apparently Sprint customers don't - and that's apparent by the fact that every cell phone company acts the same way, simply because they can get away with it.

And if you're going to say Kinko's already has rude and stupid employees, there's a good reason for that. Kinko's used to be one of the top ten businesses to work for way back when. The employees were on profit sharing. People stayed at their jobs and became knowledgeable in printing, computers, and copiers. Then it changed. The CEO began to take the company in another direction. The founder of Kinko's, Paul Orfalea, an honorary board member, sold his stock back to the company and decided to get out because he didn't want his name associated with the changes. One of those changes was the firing of all employees making ten dollars an hour or more and replacing them with minimum wage workers. You can guess what the quality of work is now and how knowledgeable the employees are in their fields. And you will also notice that the name of Kinko's is now Fed-Ex Kinko's. Hmmm, wonder why?

OK, I'm getting off my soap box now, because I think I've said enough.

Edited by rodentraiser, 22 July 2013 - 06:30 PM.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#63    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,548 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I didn't say the ceo did more work.  I said he had more responsibilty.  A ceo is responsible for the whole company not just one store, that is the managers job.  Sometimes they are the same person.

What an employee is worth is between them and the company.  In your example, the company thinks she is worth a million a year plus a car.

As for education, and you not being able to read.  That is the government's fault.  The bush admin came up with a test you had to pass.  Schools stopped real teaching and started teachung for passing that test.

Edited by danielost, 22 July 2013 - 06:47 PM.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#64    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,906 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postdanielost, on 22 July 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

Every year tuition goes up to much the higher amount the government has to loan out.

Please provide a link or at least some evidence of your assertion.

View Postdanielost, on 22 July 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

No, ninja your wrong.  Every year tuition goes up to much the higher amount the government has to loan out.  Then the universities spend the money they don't need to pay employees and bills to build huge decoration stuff to draw mor students through their doors.  They have to spend that money, if they don't the governmentwll take it away from them and cut the next years by that amont

I'm sorry but that has nothing to do with government backed loans. And no one has to spend anything. The government is not taking anything away. Where do you come up with this stuff?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#65    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

View Postdanielost, on 22 July 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

I didn't say the ceo did more work.  I said he had more responsibilty.  A ceo is responsible for the whole company not just one store, that is the managers job.  Sometimes they are the same person.

What an employee is worth is between them and the company.  In your example, the company thinks she is worth a million a year plus a car.

As for education, and you not being able to read.  That is the government's fault.  The bush admin came up with a test you had to pass.  Schools stopped real teaching and started teachung for passing that test.

I know I wasn't going to say anything more, but I have to add this: I knew how to read from the cradle practically. It's math that I had such a hard time with (and that wasn't necessarily the school's fault or even mine - I was going through some very tough times at home). I feel it certainly wasn't the government's fault either but whose ever fault it was, it was upon me to rectify it. I went back to community college and started again with basic math and went all the way through to physics. Still, I don't think it's the colleges' job to teach the basics, at least not at the state university level. However, I will certainly agree with you about the schools!

Edited by rodentraiser, 25 July 2013 - 01:10 AM.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users