Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do you keep a diary?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Do you keep a diary?  Do you still have the diaries you wrote when you were younger?  Is their content highly personal?  Would you feel embarrassed, mortified, humiliated if your diaries were made public after your death?  If the answer to those questions is Yes, then here’s some advice: do not keep your diaries, throw them away --- NOW!!! --- before you forget, before you get run over by a bus or have some other fatal accident, before your surviving relatives find them or the house-clearance man turns up to empty your house.

But whatever you do, don’t throw the diaries whole into the rubbish bin.  Burn them, shred them, tear ‘em up!  That’s the only way they will remain private.  If you don’t burn or shred or tear, you are in mortal danger of the most intimate details of your life being published, being made available for all eyes to pore over and scrutinize for every last shameful, scandalous detail.

And don’t think that writing your diaries in code is going to prevent your private life from being paraded in public.  Oh, no!  Because this man, this Diary Man, who has made it his life’s work to collect and make public your diaries and the diaries of other “ordinary” people will go to great lengths to crack your code --- just as he has done with at least one diary that came into his possession.

This fact invites an obvious question: Why would someone go to the trouble of writing their diary in code?  Could it be that they don’t want other people to be able to read the contents?  Could it be that they want the details of their life to remain private?  This is not a question that appears to concern our Diary Man.  He is very proud of his skill at cracking codes, more especially, it would seem, when the code revealed that one diary’s owner, a woman who subsequently became a school inspector, spent the afternoons of her earlier life receiving “gentlemen visitors” at her home i.e. she was a prostitute, and her clients probably US servicemen.  But that’s the nub of the matter, isn’t it?  Why pick on that woman’s diary as an example?  Why pick on the smutty, salacious details of her life?  Why not pick on run-of-the-mill diary entries?  Simple.  Where there’s muck there’s brass.

This Diary Man, as I call him, was presented on the radio programme today as being a Hero, a saver of lives; a “saver of the stories of ordinary people’s lives”, was how it was put.  Hero?  Hero my a**e!!!

Much of the second half of the programme was spent talking to people whose eyes were lighting up at the thought of the money that could be made from being involved in this diary publishing process.  You could hear their mental tills ringing up the day’s takings and their mental calculators working out the killing to be made from “saving” these diaries, from “saving” the stories of ordinary people’s lives.

And don’t think either that writing a memo in your diaries to the effect that you don’t want them published will stop this man from “saving” them.  If you want to keep your diaries and pass them on to your children/grandchildren (for family consumption only), then you’d better see a good lawyer.  Get a lawyer to draw up a document prohibiting their publication.  If you don’t, the Diary Man will go to the law to get a diary published.

And don’t make the fatal mistake of trusting your nearest and dearest not to do the dirty on you when you’re dead.  Composer Richard Strauss left some music in the hands of his widow (or maybe it was his daughter) when he died; music that he wrote when younger but didn’t want published (he declared himself to be ashamed to have had such inferior work made public), yet he was barely cold in his grave before his wife had the music published (and no doubt made herself a pretty penny or two in the process).

And what second or third rate art gallery --- and I can think of one near me --- with limited funds, doesn’t have a fourth rate painting by a better known artist on its walls; a painting that was consigned to the dustbin because the artist knew it was poor quality, would have been humiliated to have on public display, yet was “saved” by some latter day dustbin raider so that they could make a few pennies from a dead man’s discarded rubbish.

Strauss, of course, was famous before he died.  The Diary Man, however, is not interested in “famous”, but in “ordinary”.  But whether the victims are famous or not, the living, including this Diary Man, simply have no shame, no respect for either themselves or the dead, when the lure of making brass from the muck of dead people’s lives rears its ugly head.

I disposed of my old diaries a long time ago.  Have YOU burned your diaries yet?

#2    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

ill never burn my diaries, for the fact that i poured so much raw emotion into them, emotions i will never have again, im keeping them to remember the hurtles ive had to jump

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I used to keep a diary, but there's really no personal information in them....Just poetry and short stories, or ideas for stories....
Nothing personal or interesting for that matter.

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostKowalski, on 11 July 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I used to keep a diary, but there's really no personal information in them....Just poetry and short stories, or ideas for stories....
Nothing personal or interesting for that matter.
nice! do you ever go back and read them sometimes on a rainy day?

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#5    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,729 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

I still have a few journals in back from my high school years and reread them once every few years when I come across them. No shameful or scandalous details, but I'm so glad that I grew up (somewhat) . :P  
Maybe one day I'll decide to get rid of them but for now I'm keeping them around.

Edited by sarah_444, 11 July 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#6    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

View Postkannin, on 11 July 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

nice! do you ever go back and read them sometimes on a rainy day?

Sometimes, if I'm bored, or I'm lacking creative story ideas.....

#7    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 11 July 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

I still have a few journals in back from my high school years and reread them once every few years when I come across them. No shameful or scandalous details, but I'm so glad that I grew up (somewhat) . :P  
Maybe one day I'll decide to get rid of them but for now I'm keeping them around.
indeed

#8    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostKowalski, on 11 July 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Sometimes, if I'm bored, or I'm lacking creative story ideas.....
thats good almost like a realistic butterfly effect

#9    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

my diaries help me remind my self what ive had to do to become the man and father i am now, i respect my old self

#10    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

It's a journal! Not a diary.

But I've kept almost all of them. It's sometimes vindicating to see how far I've come in life.
Plus, I have sketches and pictures and memories that I'm not ready to forget.

Aren't diaries/journals really just words we want to say but don't have the voice to say it?

If my journals were to be published 100 years after  my death, I wouldn't be rolling in my grave.
It would almost be like making your life infinite.

I don't know.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,226 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

I've got one and I write in it once in a while.  Some of the things that I write about are usually about the crap I have been through.  Its a place to sound off and not hurt anyone's feelings unless they read it.  Which if I do say something that someone would find hurtful its because they did or said something to hurt me.

Yes Odd Requiem there is some stuff in there that I would like to say to someone but don't feel like I can.

#12    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostHilander, on 11 July 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

I've got one and I write in it once in a while.  Some of the things that I write about are usually about the crap I have been through.  Its a place to sound off and not hurt anyone's feelings unless they read it.  Which if I do say something that someone would find hurtful its because they did or said something to hurt me.

Yes Odd Requiem there is some stuff in there that I would like to say to someone but don't feel like I can.
ours are vary similiar :)

#13    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have a couple of notebooks of drawings and me writing about the strange nightmares iv had, various ideas and such.  If someone read those they would probably think man this guy was a Genuis, :tu:  I also have some things in there that people would think disturbing.  Eh I cant really get embarrassed after I die so I don't see the point in Burning any of it.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#14    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,418 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

I am suppose to, but it ends up a book of drawings.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#15    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 11 July 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

I am suppose to, but it ends up a book of drawings.
still a diary, drawing is expression and emotion, diary is a diary just as long as you pour your emotions into it some way shape or form

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users