Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sun Erupts with CME Toward Earth and Mercury

sun cme nasa

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Sun Erupts with a CME Toward Earth and Mercury

www.nasa.gov said:

On July 9, 2013, at 11:09 a.m. EDT, the sun erupted with an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection or CME, a solar phenomenon that can send billions of tons of particles into space that can reach Earth one to three days later. These particles cannot travel through the atmosphere to harm humans on Earth, but they can affect electronic systems in satellites and on the ground.  

Experimental NASA research models, based on observations from NASA’s Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory, show that the CME left the sun at speeds of around 375 miles per second, which is a fairly typical speed for CMEs.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

Just tell me when and I'll make sure to duck..

:)

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,165 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

So this should be hitting Earth right about ..........................................

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

So for those who are knowledgable: anything to worry about here?

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Nope.

There might be aurora borealis further than normal (and aurora australis further south). They can cause problems for satellites orbiting above the Van Allen belts. Occasionally a powerful CME (and this isn't one) can cause power outages in extreme Latitudes like Alaska, Northern Canada, Northern Russia, etc, but that's it.

We get hit by these things regularly and hardly anyone notices. Hit the "CME tag" under the title of this topic, it will give you a list of all the threads I've started about CMEs in the last 11 months, you will see that there are quite a few (and there are a lot of CMEs that I missed and didn't post about).

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,634 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Waspie - a question - what would be an event we WOULD have to be worried about?  I mean a serious, loss of life kind of happening?  And if this one in a million thing did occur, about how long in advance could we know?  I'm thinking about the doomsday event from "KNOWING"

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

View Postand then, on 11 July 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Waspie - a question - what would be an event we WOULD have to be worried about?  I mean a serious, loss of life kind of happening?  And if this one in a million thing did occur, about how long in advance could we know?  I'm thinking about the doomsday event from "KNOWING"
That's far too much of an open question, there are a whole lot of things that "could" lead to mass extinctions (including humanity) so there is a lot of things we could worry about. There may be things we haven't discovered or considered yet. How long would we know before hand involves so many factors that the only real answer (unsatisfactory as it may be) is it depends.

The fact is that there is no evidence that any of these "could be things to worry about" pose an imminent threat.

Worry about looking both ways before crossing the road, that poses more of a clear and present danger than any sci-fi doomsday scenario.

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 11 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Sun Erupts with a CME Toward Earth and Mercury

There's been an apparent increase in aircraft incidents which is related imv. The Heathrow 787 fire and the Manchester 787 problem.

Here's a Wikipedia quote about the 777

As of 2013, the 777 has been in eight aviation accidents and incidents, including three hull-loss accidents, and three hijackings. Before 2013, the only fatality involving the twinjet occurred in a refueling fire at Denver International Airport on September 5, 2001, during which a ground worker sustained fatal burns. The aircraft, operated by British Airways, suffered fire damage to the lower wing panels and engine housing; it was later repaired and put back into service.

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 13 July 2013 - 02:19 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#9    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,820 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 13 July 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

There's been an apparent increase in aircraft incidents which is related imv. The Heathrow 787 fire and the Manchester 787 problem.

Here's a Wikipedia quote about the 777

Any particles getting through the Van Allen Belts, the magnetosphere, and also the atmosphere would have so little energy that there is absolutely NO WAY that they could cause a fire on an unpowered Aircraft, or to cause mechanical problems either. It really is not like an atomic EMP.

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

RingFenceTheCity

You have enough topics promoting your views on this. Please stop hijacking other threads.

Thank you.

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with sun, cme, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users