Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 5 votes

If Races Were Reversed

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#31    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,901 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Top 10 States with the Most Gun Violence
Wall Street 24X7 ^ | 04/15/2013 | Samuel Weigley

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:47:54 AM by SeekAndFind

.... Each state has different sets of gun ownership laws. According to the Center for American Progress, a progressive think tank that supports gun control, there appears to be a strong relationship between the strength of gun laws in the state and the amount of gun violence. In some states, gun violence exceeds the rest of the country by a wide margin. In Louisiana, between 2001 and 2010, there were 18.9 gun deaths for every 100,000 people, more than six times the rate in Hawaii, the state with the lowest violence. Based on the Center for American Progress report, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the 10 states with the most gun violence.

1. Louisiana
> Firearm homicide deaths per 100,000: 9.53 (the highest)
> Firearm aggravated assaults per 100,000: 99.51 (4th highest)
> Violent crime rate per 100,000: 555.3 (7th highest)
> Need permit to purchase handgun: No
> Governor: Bobby Jindal ®

No state had a bigger problem with gun violence than Louisiana. Between 2001 and 2010, there were 18.9 firearm deaths — which includes suicides and accidents — annually for every 100,000 residents, more than any other state. In 2010, there were 9.53 homicides involving a firearm for every 100,000 residents, by far the highest rate in the country. In November 2012, nearly three-fourths of Louisiana voters approved a state constitutional amendment that placed a very strict standard on determining whether individual gun rights can be limited. Since the amendment was passed, a host of legal challenges have been filed against the state’s gun restrictions, including a challenge of the ban on felons to own firearms. The state received an F for its gun laws from the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Among the reasons for the poor grade are the fact that the state does not require a waiting period for gun purchases or prohibit the sales of assault weapons or high-caliber rifles.

The full list link

I don't believe an accurate poll or research can ever be available as it is a human problem and as it is with all things human, it is multi faceted and conditional based on the situation and social environment of the times.

~

`edit : repaired link

-

Edited by third_eye, 12 July 2013 - 08:27 AM.

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#32    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 12 July 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

Let's say that Trayvon Martin was of European and Latin American descent. Let's say that George Zimmerman has completely SSA ancestry. What would the media coverage be like? Would the story even be a blip on the network news radar screens?

Of course not. In that case, the race of accused would not be published.
If anything, the coverage would tilt the other way, because the threat of race riots would be in case of a conviction.

But you know that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#33    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostThe world needs you, on 12 July 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

That sounds familiar. Just insert your state's name below.

Mississippi Burning

It's 2013 now. Things have changed. I don't get your other comment, so it could be that my comment is badly and confusingly worded. I'm just talking about how certain events are covered. There's an undeniable difference based on race. Black-on-Black and Black-on-White crimes don't get as much attention in the media. It could be explained by "man bites dog", but I doubt it. It borders on propaganda with few links to the reality of the majority of crimes.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#34    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts
  • Location:Currently in the middle of this land called life, exit is here and near...

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 12 July 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

It's 2013 now. Things have changed. I don't get your other comment, so it could be that my comment is badly and confusingly worded. I'm just talking about how certain events are covered. There's an undeniable difference based on race. Black-on-Black and Black-on-White crimes don't get as much attention in the media. It could be explained by "man bites dog", but I doubt it. It borders on propaganda with few links to the reality of the majority of crimes.

Understanding why society treats certain cases with more attention has to do with both the media and society itself. The media could put out as many stories as they wish and if society has no interest then they won't be read and likely not printed.

There is a reciprocal relationship between society and the media. To claim this is solely the media's doing while ignoring the social component will never lead to a thorough understanding of what a few are complaining about. Fact is many have interest in this case and it cannot simply be deduced to media generation.

Claims of propaganda border on conspiracy theory. Doubtful the majority of society considers it as such. To further claim that is proof it is propaganda and that society is just gullible is also part of that conspiracy theory. All based on some who simply do not like the social interest in the case. That is more a case of sour grapes on those claiming propaganda than it is a case of propaganda.

Edited by The world needs you, 12 July 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#35    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 12 July 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Of course not. In that case, the race of accused would not be published.
If anything, the coverage would tilt the other way, because the threat of race riots would be in case of a conviction.

But you know that.

I doubt that anybody would riot. I also doubt that the talking heads would be as empathetic or sympathetic to the deceased. I hope that I'm wrong, but thirty-seven years on this planet have instilled a certain amount of cynicism in me, and I'm not proud of it. The media is straight out of "Bonfire Of The Vanities". Jackson and Sharpton still have clout in some segments of society. The media develops amnesia when it comes to the past of some demagogues. It's not like the Duke lacrosse players were falsely accused of rape in 1960. Would MSNBC give a talk show to a White minister on the wrong side of the Scottsboro Boys case?

#36    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostThe world needs you, on 12 July 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Understanding why society treats certain cases with more attention has to do with both the media and society itself. The media could put out as many stories as they wish and if society has no interest then they won't be read and likely not printed.

There is a reciprocal relationship between society and the media. To claim this is solely the media's doing while ignoring the social component will never lead to a thorough understanding of what a few are complaining about. Fact is many have interest in this case and it cannot simply be deduced to media generation.

Claims of propaganda border on conspiracy theory. Doubtful the majority of society considers it as such. To further claim that is proof it is propaganda and that society is just gullible is also part of that conspiracy theory. All based on some who simply do not like the social interest in the case. That is more a case of sour grapes on those claiming propaganda than it is a case of propaganda.

In other words, stories about race and sex are "sexy". I can agree with that. It's a corollary to the "if it bleeds, it leads" rule. Still, it doesn't excuse the double standards. I don't like the journalistic hypocrisy any more than I like the legal hypocrisy. For instance, it's obviously wrong to stop and frisk young Black and Brown men just because they fit a certain profile. It's a violation of their civil rights, and it's impossible to get around that with a straight face. I feel the same way about establishment journalism, but, in their case, they ignore White victims of interracial violent crime.

#37    msmike1

msmike1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

seeing everyone so scared to discuss race openly and for what it is, is really getting old to me. I live in Mississippi, and I saw the list posted above. One thing most of those states, and the south in general, have in common is the highest minority rate in the nation. Do whites kill people? You bet they do. Do whites commit crimes? Yes sir, but the bottom line is that whenever you have a high minority rate, you have more murders and crime. The problem with this is that in this politically correct nation we live in, everyone is scared to say it. They make up excuses as to why this is so, as to why so many blacks and Hispanics are in prison. Oh well they couldn't have commited the crime, its because they were black. No, its because they committed a crime. I don't care personally what a persons skin color is and that is the way I raise my children. It is also not my fault that a lot of the black culture is what it is. Black on white crime runs rampant in the country and is getting worse all the time. Don't see much on the news do we? Now let a white person commit a crime against a black and all of a sudden it's a hate crime, and all whites are racist, this country hates blacks, blah blah. There is a huge double standard. If they want to riot, go for it. Burn your own crap, kill each other, whatever. At least it will give Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson something to make a buck over, racial pimps that they are.

Mike

#38    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Postmsmike1, on 12 July 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

There is a huge double standard. If they want to riot, go for it. Burn your own crap, kill each other, whatever. At least it will give Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson something to make a buck over, racial pimps that they are.

But that's not what will happen in the case of an acquittal. They will not kill each other, neither will they assault Hispanics, like Zimmerman. They will assault Whites; 14 Whites have already been assaulted in the name of Trayvon, and we don't even have a verdict yet.

Show me a Black riot where they attack each other, it doesn't happen. They will burn down Korean stores like in L.A., or drag random Whites out of their cars and pummel them like in L.A./Cincinnati.

And then the media and politicians will go searching for the "root causes" just like in the case of Muslim fanatics.

Edited by redhen, 12 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#39    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,644 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 12 July 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

Maybe a 30 second bit on the news. White people don`t have Al Sharptons or the ilk.

It saddens me that some people think along these lines. "Races reversed?" "Low information crowd?" "White people don't have Al Sharptons?" Huh? Who are Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly, but Sharpton in whiteface? Who gets more air time?.

Has anybody ever heard of Kitty Genovese, New York City, 1964?

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#40    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,644 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postmsmike1, on 12 July 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

seeing everyone so scared to discuss race openly and for what it is, is really getting old to me. I live in Mississippi, and I saw the list posted above. One thing most of those states, and the south in general, have in common is the highest minority rate in the nation. Do whites kill people? You bet they do. Do whites commit crimes? Yes sir, but the bottom line is that whenever you have a high minority rate, you have more murders and crime. The problem with this is that in this politically correct nation we live in, everyone is scared to say it. They make up excuses as to why this is so, as to why so many blacks and Hispanics are in prison. Oh well they couldn't have commited the crime, its because they were black. No, its because they committed a crime. I don't care personally what a persons skin color is and that is the way I raise my children. It is also not my fault that a lot of the black culture is what it is. Black on white crime runs rampant in the country and is getting worse all the time. Don't see much on the news do we? Now let a white person commit a crime against a black and all of a sudden it's a hate crime, and all whites are racist, this country hates blacks, blah blah. There is a huge double standard. If they want to riot, go for it. Burn your own crap, kill each other, whatever. At least it will give Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson something to make a buck over, racial pimps that they are.

Mike

What's a "minority rate," Mike? Do you mean "crime rate among minorities?" I would surmise that, the higher number of 'minority' people, the higher the crime rate among minorities.

Your post did a good job of describing riots that haven't happened. I live in awareness of what's going on around me, not in fear of what hasn't even happened.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#41    msmike1

msmike1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 12 July 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

What's a "minority rate," Mike? Do you mean "crime rate among minorities?" I would surmise that, the higher number of 'minority' people, the higher the crime rate among minorities.

Your post did a good job of describing riots that haven't happened. I live in awareness of what's going on around me, not in fear of what hasn't even happened.

Minority rate as in what percentage of the states population is considered minority. In states with a higher percentage of minorities, crime rates are higher. Simple truth. The majority of my post had nothing to do with riots. Will they happen? who knows, I don't. It is correct in stating that others, innocent others, will be affected should riots happen. I feel for the innocents involved, as there is no fault placed on them at all. The real problem is that riots are even threatened. When did it become accepted behavior in the U.S. for blacks to threaten to riot when they don't get their way, and for that to be ok? Do you all remember all the whites that rioted after the OJ Simpson trial? Yeah me neither, because it didn't happen! Now, I will admit that I was not aware of any attacks on whites specifically because of this case. I also live with a very vivid awareness of what is going on around me, I also do not forget the past.

Mike

#42    msmike1

msmike1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postredhen, on 12 July 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

But that's not what will happen in the case of an acquittal. They will not kill each other, neither will they assault Hispanics, like Zimmerman. They will assault Whites; 14 Whites have already been assaulted in the name of Trayvon, and we don't even have a verdict yet.

Show me a Black riot where they attack each other, it doesn't happen. They will burn down Korean stores like in L.A., or drag random Whites out of their cars and pummel them like in L.A./Cincinnati.

And then the media and politicians will go searching for the "root causes" just like in the case of Muslim fanatics.

You really think that no blacks were harmed in the LA Riots? 1 billion dollars in damages in 1992 in south central la and you think that was not predominantely black? Yes, some non black, non Hispanics did become victims of the riots. Reginald Denny or all the Asian store owners did become victims, but they still burned down their own neighborhood. Look, it is disgusting to even think about it. I don't get my way so I am going to riot. That is what it has come down to?

Mike

#43    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postmsmike1, on 12 July 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

You really think that no blacks were harmed in the LA Riots? 1 billion dollars in damages in 1992 in south central la and you think that was not predominantely black? Yes, some non black, non Hispanics did become victims of the riots. Reginald Denny or all the Asian store owners did become victims, but they still burned down their own neighborhood. Look, it is disgusting to even think about it. I don't get my way so I am going to riot. That is what it has come down to?

Mike

Twitter has been exploding with threats to riot if Zimmerman is acquitted. Police are preparing for it, because they are concerned about it happening. It's really crazy, is all I can say....

#44    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,312 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 12 July 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

It saddens me that some people think along these lines. "Races reversed?" "Low information crowd?" "White people don't have Al Sharptons?" Huh? Who are Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly, but Sharpton in whiteface? Who gets more air time?.

Has anybody ever heard of Kitty Genovese, New York City, 1964?

None of those people represent me what so ever. It saddens me that there is even a race card to be played here.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 12 July 2013 - 04:54 PM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#45    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,201 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostMind Explorer, on 12 July 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Lets be honest...it's the American south. If Zimmerman was black and Trayvon was white, Zimmerman would already be doing life in prison.
And how long have you lived in the American south?  Myself, it's been these 50 odd years.  When I was in grade school you would probably have been right.  By high school not nearly so cut and dried...TODAY?   Absolutely unfounded assumption.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users