Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Greenpeace climbers conquer the Shard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    your_dark_passenger

your_dark_passenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

A Greenpeace activist today reached the top of Britain's tallest building after climbing for more than 15 hours in a protest against drilling in the Arctic.
She was one of six women who evaded security guards to scale the 72-storey Shard in central London early this morning. The six have now been arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass, according to the Metropolitan Police.
They said their action was intended to put Shell and other oil companies in the spotlight.

http://www.dailymail...c-drilling.html

Edited by your_dark_passenger, 12 July 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#2    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,730 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Have any of these stunts actually achieved any positive results? "Direct Action" really doesn't help anyone at all. it just antagonises everyone, it's hardly going to make whichever Evil multinational Corporation is your current object of hate willing to listen to your arguments, is it, and it just annoys everyone else who gets inconvenienced by the inconvenience (and often the police over-reaction) it causes, and so it's hardly going to make them sympathetic to you, is it. Just like that Sea Shepherd crowd.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 12 July 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,642 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

how does this help?
Tying yourself to a drilling rig, throwing yourself under trucks carrying Arctic oil ... that's the sort of insane stunt that draw attention to the issue "I climbed up a building"  just says "I'm a prat who likes endangering myself and other people".

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

What's wrong with climbing a tall building if you have the equipment and know what you are doing?  Of course one's message gets lost in the medium, but we all gotta have a message anyway, don't we?

#5    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 12 July 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

how does this help?
Tying yourself to a drilling rig, throwing yourself under trucks carrying Arctic oil ... that's the sort of insane stunt that draw attention to the issue "I climbed up a building"  just says "I'm a prat who likes endangering myself and other people".

I wasn't thinking about the issue until now and I bet you wern't either.

And I'd hardly call climbing with saftey ropes endangering oneself and it certainly wasnt endangering others.

#6    your_dark_passenger

your_dark_passenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

how does this help?

Greenpeace has been working on a 'Save the Arctic' campaign for quite some time now. I believe they have more than 3 million people who have signed a petition to stop drilling the Arctic. I dont really care much for their tactics. However, I do believe that they are trying to do something good and if they want to climb a building to call attention to the issues in the Arctic, I dont see why not. These women are obviously trained climbers. I believe that an organization like Greenpeace can try and make a difference and although it benefits us all, the least I can do is not look down on them.

#7    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,332 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

how does this help?
The media won't report on six protesters standing on the street holding signs.   That's how climbing the building helps.

Is that the face of someone getting arrested?   Just awesome.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

View Postyour_dark_passenger, on 12 July 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

A Greenpeace activist today reached the top of Britain's tallest building after climbing for more than 15 hours in a protest against drilling in the Arctic.
She was one of six women who evaded security guards to scale the 72-storey Shard in central London early this morning. The six have now been arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass, according to the Metropolitan Police.
They said their action was intended to put Shell and other oil companies in the spotlight.

http://www.dailymail...c-drilling.html

That kinda misses the point: in fact, it misses the point by a country mile.  Publicity is the point

#9    .AKUMA.

.AKUMA.

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

• The True Warrior Enters The Arena with all his powers
    At the Ready.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

These greenpeace dudes really need to get a life -_-

One World, One Order

The Greatest Accomplishment of the Devil, Was Convincing the world he doesn't Exist.

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,642 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

View Posttrancelikestate, on 12 July 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

I wasn't thinking about the issue until now and I bet you wern't either.
And we're still not talking about the issue, we're talking about some nitwit who climbed up a building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users