Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Superhuman Intelligence: bad idea?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Cybele

• 11,648 posts

• A farce to be reckoned with!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

http://www.dailymail...-psychosis.html

Is it foolish to boost IQ as much as possible to the detriment of enhancing empathy and social skills? Which is more important?

Sometimes, Life's Tapestry is not so much rich as ripped. Although on reflection, I guess it can be both. :)

#2    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 5,029 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 12 July 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

http://www.dailymail...-psychosis.html

Is it foolish to boost IQ as much as possible to the detriment of enhancing empathy and social skills? Which is more important?

Why would they not go together?  They seem to be present in many doctors, teachers and nurses already.  The more empathy the better the job.  A high IQ with high emotional intelligence may be will only enrich both.

Peace
Mark

#3    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Cybele

• 11,648 posts

• A farce to be reckoned with!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

I agree with you Mark, it's just that in the article they were making the point that IQ tends to be favoured over everything else. That is the 'prize' we are encouraged to gain: a high IQ.

Sometimes, Life's Tapestry is not so much rich as ripped. Although on reflection, I guess it can be both. :)

#4    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,899 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

I would think that I.Q. is independent of empathy or morality. Mobster kingpins and drug lords probably have high I.Q.'s and great social skills, for instance. I mean, these kinds of people don't get to the top without the intelligence to understand and manipulate subordinates.  These are social skills, aren't they?

If I suddenly had a higher I.Q. I suppose I would be a better musician, artist and story teller, and a better debater here, but I don't think that I would suddenly become a better person. I might even think of new ways of self-promotion, which may or may not be detrimental to anyone who stood in my way to success.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 2,161 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I.Q. only really measures one type of intelligence. It's the only accepted test they can seem to come up with, though many experts agree it is slanted towards one type of thinker.

"Don't let your dreams be dreams"

- Shia LaBeouf

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,642 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

That guy never met my neighbor kid.  The kid is a genus and is the most kind and generous young man it my pleasure to meet. He gets my rock collection.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hmmmm, but how would they try and raise someones I.Q. Naturally, I mean some people just are not good with certain tasks. and the whole emotion loss thing I would think that would depend on the persons personality type?

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 12 July 2013 - 09:33 PM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users