Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

DARPA's new humanoid robot


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

    Astral Projection

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

http://theweek.com/a...ntimidating-yet


At 6'2" and 330 pounds, DARPA and Boston Dynamics' latest robot, Atlas, is arguably their most imposing humanoid yet. Like PetMan before it, the hydraulic-powered machine ambles along on two legs. But unlike its klutzy predecessor, Atlas possesses the sturdy resolve of a pro linebacker, and is apparently able to take a flying, 20-pound medicine ball right to the gut without tipping over.




#2    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

interesting

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

    Cheese

  • Member
  • 3,561 posts
  • Joined:17 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Star Mountain, Corporate States of America

  • We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

But can it dance like the Japanese robots?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#4    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,093 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

James Cameron is a prophet. I believe the terminator future wars took place in 2027. Boston Dynamics is Skynet.
Seriously, this thing is cool. Not as creepy as the BD's Big Dog but it will be soon. I've been working an excavator the last two days so the strength of hydraulics is fresh on my mind and I can think of few things scarier than an army of hydraulic powered machines with AI.

Posted Image

#5    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostF3SS, on 12 July 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

James Cameron is a prophet. I believe the terminator future wars took place in 2027. Boston Dynamics is Skynet.
Seriously, this thing is cool. Not as creepy as the BD's Big Dog but it will be soon. I've been working an excavator the last two days so the strength of hydraulics is fresh on my mind and I can think of few things scarier than an army of hydraulic powered machines with AI.
heavily agreed

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#6    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

    Astral Projection

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

I'm getting used to it now, but for the record the original title of this post was:

I have seen my own Death!  And it's name it Atlas!

Just for those who may be interested this is the fifth or sixth time posts of mine have been censored, modified or completely deleted.

I understand in this case that it makes a better headline now, and lets users know what the topic is about, but it still takes some getting used to on my end.  You know, being a Yankee and all, with my 1st amendment that doesn't apply here...


#7    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Awesome. I can't believe how fast they are progressing, it's great.

Can't wait until robots become sort of common place. Hopefully in my time.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#8    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 8,642 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

This Darpa 'robot' is a long long way behind Asimo and its variants, so far as Im concerned its got the yawn factor, the Japanese mastered all the things these guys are STILL TRYING to do...years ago






.

Edited by seeder, 14 July 2013 - 02:36 PM.


#9    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,093 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postseeder, on 14 July 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

This 'robot' is a long long way behind Asimo and its variants, so far as Im concerned its got the yawn factor, the Japanese mastered all the things these guys are STILL TRYING to do...years ago



While Asimo is cool it isn't what DARPA is after. Asimo is a toy, DARPAs thing is a war machine. If you kick Asimo in the chest will he catch his balance or fall over? Is Asimo an extremely strong hydraulic powered machine? DARPA is looking for a Terminator, not Short Circuit.

Attached File  image.jpg   55.84K   6 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   13.25K   6 downloads

Posted Image

#10    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 8,642 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostF3SS, on 14 July 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

While Asimo is cool it isn't what DARPA is after. Asimo is a toy, DARPAs thing is a war machine. If you kick Asimo in the chest will he catch his balance or fall over? Is Asimo an extremely strong hydraulic powered machine? DARPA is looking for a Terminator, not Short Circuit.

Attachment image.jpg

Attachment image.jpg

I totally disagree, Japan doesn't actually dream of being the worlds police and running everything now do they, unlike the US....and Asimo most certainly is no toy

In the OP article is states - and I quote:

"Yet though the machine comes equipped with laser and stereo vision systems, it is still eons away from T-800 territory, still requiring an electronic tether. Perhaps more importantly, it needs a software brain to breathe synthetic life into its intimidating physical capabilities.

That's why the Pentagon is holding a contest for more than a dozen teams to develop the software that will eventually power Atlas. Competitors from MIT, Virginia Tech, and more are currently designing computer programs that will ask the bot to enter and drive a vehicle, cross a rubble field, open doors, and use hand tools. The winning team will receive a prize of $2 million.


Now, Asimo is not tethered, Asimo can already use its hands for tools, open doors and cross uneven territory, in fact it can also run and climb/descend stairs, it can even hop on one foot turning in a circle...perhaps you didnt watch all the video?  But there are many more shorter vids in youtube, showing different aspects of asimo

I will certainly agree with you however that Darpas aims are darker, but the point I made was, what they are trying to achieve, asimo already has achieved. So then it all comes down to programming doesn't it? You could program Asimo to shoot, to drive a car, pretty much anything, you could make it bigger, fiercer, uglier, dress it in fireproof and bullet proof armor, whatever.




.


.

Edited by seeder, 14 July 2013 - 03:19 PM.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#11    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 8,642 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Anyway we are on my of my fave subjects, Robots and Androids!!

Check this one getting up from the floor



The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#12    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,093 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

View Postseeder, on 14 July 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:



I totally disagree, Japan doesn't actually dream of being the worlds police and running everything now do they, unlike the US....and Asimo most certainly is no toy

In the OP article is states - and I quote:

"Yet though the machine comes equipped with laser and stereo vision systems, it is still eons away from T-800 territory, still requiring an electronic tether. Perhaps more importantly, it needs a software brain to breathe synthetic life into its intimidating physical capabilities.

That's why the Pentagon is holding a contest for more than a dozen teams to develop the software that will eventually power Atlas. Competitors from MIT, Virginia Tech, and more are currently designing computer programs that will ask the bot to enter and drive a vehicle, cross a rubble field, open doors, and use hand tools. The winning team will receive a prize of $2 million.


Now, Asimo is not tethered, Asimo can already use its hands for tools, open doors and cross uneven territory, in fact it can also run and climb/descend stairs, it can even hop on one foot turning in a circle...perhaps you didnt watch all the video?  But there are many more shorter vids in youtube, showing different aspects of asimo

I will certainly agree with you however that Darpas aims are darker, but the point I made was, what they are trying to achieve, asimo already has achieved. So then it all comes down to programming doesn't it? You could program Asimo to shoot, to drive a car, pretty much anything, you could make it bigger, fiercer, uglier, dress it in fireproof and bullet proof armor, whatever.




.


.

I don't know what you're disagreeing with besides your approval of what these machines should be used for. I didn't say this thing was the terminator. I'm only saying that's the goal and I think you do agree with that. The reason this thing differs so much from Asimo is because of the hydraulic system. I'm sure Asimo can be made into a lot of things but its mechanics are designed differently. It takes a whole different designing and software system to create a hydraulic DARPA machine as nimble and smooth as Asimo which is probably more of a gears and bearings design. It's like comparing an airplane to a fighter jet. They both look similar to a degree but the abilities and inner workings couldn't be farther apart.

Posted Image

#13    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 8,642 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Youre right I guess, my disagreement mainly was with asimo being a toy, but thats probably as I have followed its development for years

Darpas Big Dog is a scary brute for sure, for those that havent seen this thing struggling on ice then do have a watch




and tossing cinder blocks



The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#14    shrooma

shrooma

    Incorrigible Rogue.

  • Member
  • 3,114 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

software??
pfft!!
wait 'til we're in GitS territory and putting BRAINS inside 'em!
;-)

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.
.

#15    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,093 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have seen the Big Dog and its about as formidable a robot I've seen yet. It's ability to retain balance gives it a lifelike freakiness. It looks like its thinking.

Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users