Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 3 votes

Study: "Conspiracy Theorists" Sane,

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,810 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

http://www.presstv.i...-vs-govt-dupes/

New studies: ‘Conspiracy theorists’ sane; government dupes crazy, hostile

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

Bring it on, folks.
Give us your thoughts.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#2    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm not really surprised at the results of the study, but it is refreshing to read it.

The fanatics are the ones who believe such a crazy story as the government so often tells.

Rather reminds me of the old tale of The Emperor's New Clothes, except that more and more of the crowd is now realizing that indeed, the emperor is butt-nekkid. :-*

#3    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,963 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

POPULAR

Finding out people can think for themselves scares the living crap out of the government and their sheep, especially the main stream media.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#4    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,810 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 12 July 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Finding out people can think for themselves scares the living crap out of the government and their sheep, especially the main stream media.

I tihink they don't like it when we think they have lied to us, while they lie more than they tell the truth.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#5    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,148 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

I don't really know what "Press TV" is, whether it's one of those "alternative" sites that use phrases like "MSM", but even if it wasn't, from the tone of that headline I would imagine it was. It really doesn't do their credibility, assuming they do want credibility, much good to use phrases like "Government dupes", it really doesn't, it makes them sound like Alex Jones. As a consequence therefore, one would have to question the objectivity of that story.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#6    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 12 July 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

I tihink they don't like it when we think they have lied to us, while they lie more than they tell the truth.
they will always hide info from us to keep us dumiefied

#7    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 12 July 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

I don't really know what "Press TV" is, whether it's one of those "alternative" sites that use phrases like "MSM", but even if it wasn't, from the tone of that headline I would imagine it was. It really doesn't do their credibility, assuming they do want credibility, much good to use phrases like "Government dupes", it really doesn't, it makes them sound like Alex Jones. As a consequence therefore, one would have to question the objectivity of that story.
Kind of a government backed news group who hates Israel and anything West related, Like North Korea's offspring

#8    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 12 July 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Kind of a government backed news group who hates Israel and anything West related, Like North Korea's offspring

What a wondrously simplistic and inaccurate statement.

You should have stopped at 'group'.

#9    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 32,610 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 12 July 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

http://www.presstv.i...-vs-govt-dupes/

New studies: ‘Conspiracy theorists’ sane; government dupes crazy, hostile

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

Bring it on, folks.
Give us your thoughts.

That is debatable to some extent because there have been conspiracy theorist who've made claims that wasn't supported by real evidence. Real evidence speaks louder than words.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#10    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostPhaeton80, on 12 July 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

What a wondrously simplistic and inaccurate statement.

You should have stopped at 'group'.
why do you work for them?

#11    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 32,610 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 12 July 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

It is no secret that the government has lied to us from time to time, but then again, conspiracy theorist have been known to use references from conspiracy websites that continue to lie and mislead people on a constant basis. Conspiracy theorist were caught using known hoaxed videos and photos in their arguments and I can list prime examples to make my point very clear.

I've caught a few conspiracy theorist red-handed as they pushed false information and misleading information as related to the world of aviation and I suspect that some of them knew exactly that the information they were posting was totally false.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#12    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for posting this article! :tu:

I found this part intriguing:

Both of these findings are amplified in the new book Conspiracy Theory in America by political scientist Lance deHaven-Smith, published earlier this year by the University of Texas Press. Professor deHaven-Smith explains why people don’t like being called “conspiracy theorists”: The term was invented and put into wide circulation by the CIA to smear and defame people questioning the JFK assassination! “The CIA’s campaign to popularize the term ‘conspiracy theory’ and make conspiracy belief a target of ridicule and hostility must be credited, unfortunately, with being one of the most successful propaganda initiatives of all time.”

In other words, people who use the terms “conspiracy theory” and “conspiracy theorist” as an insult are doing so as the result of a well-documented, undisputed, historically-real conspiracy by the CIA to cover up the JFK assassination. That campaign, by the way, was completely illegal, and the CIA officers involved were criminals; the CIA is barred from all domestic activities, yet routinely breaks the law to conduct domestic operations ranging from propaganda to assassinations.

Why does that not surprise me?

This was insightful too:

In the same issue of ABS, University of Buffalo professor Steven Hoffman adds that anti-conspiracy people are typically prey to strong “confirmation bias” - that is, they seek out information that confirms their pre-existing beliefs, while using irrational mechanisms (such as the “conspiracy theory” label) to avoid conflicting information.

The extreme irrationality of those who attack “conspiracy theories” has been ably exposed by Communications professors Ginna Husting and Martin Orr of Boise State University. In a 2007 peer-reviewed article entitled“Dangerous Machinery: ‘Conspiracy Theorist’ as a Transpersonal Strategy of Exclusion,” they wrote:

“If I call you a conspiracy theorist, it matters little whether you have actually claimed that a conspiracy exists or whether you have simply raised an issue that I would rather avoid… By labeling you, I strategically exclude you from the sphere where public speech, debate, and conflict occur.”

Edited by Kowalski, 12 July 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#13    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 15,145 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

Kind of funny that the CT crowd needs a study to tell themselves they are sane...just saying lol

"You cannot pass," he said. … "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

#14    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,980 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

The same study states that believers of the official conspiracy are not sane.

Care to find a study that agrees with your confirmation bias and doesn't upset your world view?

#15    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 10,170 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 12 July 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

The same study states that believers of the official conspiracy are not sane.
Oh? Does it now? Does it, really?

Here's the full study - here. Do feel free to show everyone exactly where it states that "believers of the official conspiracy are not sane".

Heck. I'd even take a "Conspiracy theorists are more sane".

But since neither the words "sane" or "sanity" exist within the whole study - then, best of luck with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users