Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Swearing parrot shocks rescue workers

timneh african grey parrot swears livingston

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,128 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

A distinctive parrot has been found which dances, whistles, and swears like a sailor.

Officials from the Scottish SPCA, who were called to rescue him from a garden in Livingston, say they were immediately struck by the parrot's wide and colourful vocabulary.

Now they are trying to find the, possibly embarrassed, owner of the foul-mouthed bird, a Timneh African grey.

http://www.telegraph...ue-workers.html

Posted Image

#2    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,900 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

Arr Jim lad it be Long John Silver's parrot and he be called Cap'n Flint...

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#3    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

hahahahaha!

#4    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,844 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Made me think of this fellow.
I'm not sure if he says WTF and/or mutha****.....maybe both.
He seems pretty upset anyway :D

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#5    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,079 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Reminds me of a joke one of my school teachers once told me.  A man buys a parrot from the shop, and gets a great discount because the parrot is known to be a potty-mouth.  But he reckons he can get around it, he takes it home and the parrot takes one look at the man's wife and says "gee, you're an ugly old bag".  The man was infuriated and demanded the parrot not say it again.  The parrot looked at him for a second and then repeated his words - "what an ugly old bag".  "THAT'S IT" the man roared, "I'm going to punish you, take fifteen minutes in the refrigerator, maybe that will curb your foul mouth".  Fifteen minutes later, a shivering ball of feathers is removed from the refrigerator and put back in its cage.  After a few minutes to warm up, the parrot takes another look at the man's wife, shakes its head and says "**** $#^ ##%(^ ****, you're ugly".  The man says, "still need to learn a lesson?  Try fifteen minutes in the freezer".

Fifteen minutes later a frozen parrot is slowly defrosting back in its cage.  After battling hypothermia and finally able to move freely again, the parrot turns and says "Ok, you made your point.  Just one question - what did that ****ing chicken in there do"?

Parrots really are funny little creatures, they'll pick up on a lot of what others say and mimic them.  One parrot belonging to a friend of mine would squawk several times imitating laughter whenever someone laughed.  Spin its cage and it does a "Wheeeeee" sound, like he's on a rollercoaster.  I'm not surprised the occasional parrot would pick up swear words, if those around them were a bit, shall we say "uncouth" in their language.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#6    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,844 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 13 July 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Parrots really are funny little creatures, they'll pick up on a lot of what others say and mimic them.  One parrot belonging to a friend of mine would squawk several times imitating laughter whenever someone laughed.  Spin its cage and it does a "Wheeeeee" sound, like he's on a rollercoaster.  I'm not surprised the occasional parrot would pick up swear words, if those around them were a bit, shall we say "uncouth" in their language.

I don't think I have seen/heard any bird that top this fellow. His "chainsaw" is amazing.>>

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#7    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,370 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

LOL at PA's parrot joke!

We all have to remember that parrots simply copy what they hear. I suspect it's the birds former owner that's the real 'potty mouth'. Also, if he kept repeating "WTF" over and over, he appears to be a pretty confused/frustrated 'potty mouth'!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#8    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,844 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostLilly, on 13 July 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Also, if he kept repeating "WTF" over and over, he appears to be a pretty confused/frustrated 'potty mouth'!

We dont know what happened before the camera was turned on. Maybe he had been presented with Hodge conjecture or something. That would make me go WTF for a while.

Even simple creatures like cats can be puzzled from time to time. :)

Posted Image

#9    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,079 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostEllJay, on 13 July 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

I don't think I have seen/heard any bird that top this fellow. His "chainsaw" is amazing.>>

The Lyre Bird is a completely different kettle of fish, it mimics the sound it hears but does a damn amazing job at it.  They aren't as friendly and therefore aren't as pet-worthy as a parrot, though.  But as far as Lyre Birds go (named for their tails, not their ability to "lie"), they have the wood over parrots, easy.  No denying that.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,738 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

I read a story a while back about this woman that taught her exhusbands parrot to cuss at his new girlfriend and call her names or something like that.

I use to have a Amazon and boy could he scream.  He would wine like a puppy but wouldn't say much else.  He was green and I had green carpet, ugh, and he would climb off his perch to follow me around.  He was really hard to see, amazing I didn't step on him.

#11    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

I love African Greys. Its amazing how they even pick up the accents of their owners.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#12    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

yeah this is crazy funny, ive seen some parrots that can actually cumunicate in a human voice, parrots are really smart

#13    MySummerJob

MySummerJob

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

Shame that they didn't record a video of this bird =/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users