Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

If You Know How a Cow Feels,Will You Eat Less

cow meat slaughterhouse

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#106    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostAggie, on 04 August 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

I used to be a vegetarian but seeing how we naturally need that one vitamin that cannot be produced in the body or be assimilated by eating plants only, completely changed my mind.

Ok, I'll bite (no pun intended), what vitamin is that?

I was a vegetarian because I didn't want to kill animals. I am not anymore, but I keep my meat intake much lower than most...to try to kill as little as I can.

I try to live a life of ahimsa (non-violence), but realistically it's hard not to utilize animal products; leather belts, boots and all kinds of things found in everyday items. But such apparent hypocrisy does not defeat the logical (ethical) argument against eating meat.

One does what one can.

#107    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,245 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

B12 is needed but now is available as a vegetable supplement.  The best natural source is pork.  I wonder what religions that ban pork make of that.

I understand the young Benjamin Franklin decided to become a vegetarian until on a trip from Boston to Philadelphia the ship got stranded by weather and the food ran out and the passengers subsisted on fish they caught.  Franklin was obliged to give in and couldn't believe how good the fresh fish was (this taste business is probably apocryphal -- at least it sound it).  At any rate he never became a vegetarian again.

#108    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Red hen: Vitamin B12, the only vitamin the body cannot produce and that cannot be ingested by eating plants only. It is now available for vegans because our modern technology is able to extract it from plants, but without our technology we could never eat enough plants to assimilate enough vitamin B12.

I agree with you about the cruelty of killing animals....unfortunately we still have to do it...one day things might be different, and I hope they will.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#109    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,466 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

I once asked an ex-gf what it feels like to be a cow but all I got was a slap in the face.  pfft

#110    ZOD

ZOD

Intern of the Illuminatti

• 5,108 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

and you get 10 points, would've also accepted pig.

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#111    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

No. All I know that it has served its purpose. I'm thankful that it made me stronger. Without us feeding them, they'd probably get killed by other animals or starving.

#112    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 05 August 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

No. All I know that it has served its purpose.

See the Richard Dawkins lecture on purpose above. There is no such thing in nature. Purpose connotates an end goal, an intentional design towards a finished product. That's not how nature and evolution work.

I'm thankful that it made me stronger.

Meat, or even protein, doesn't make you stronger. Exercise makes you stronger!

Without us feeding them, they'd probably get killed by other animals or starving.

So we're doing them all a favour? Anyways, cows, sheep and pigs have been purposefully designed by humans over thousands of years to be extremely docile and dependent. So if they can not survive in the wild now, you know whose fault that is.

#113    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,245 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:41 AM

• I have no ethical problem with the idea of raising animals for food and seeing to it they live good lives, longer than they probably would in nature, protected, well fed and kept comfortable, etc., and then seeing to it that the end is painless.  My near-vegetarianism is pushed on me by the fact that this does not describe animal husbandry as it is today.

#114    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

How about If you new how a plant felt when you picked it and ate it would you still be a vegetarian ?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#115    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,505 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 06 August 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

How about If you new how a plant felt when you picked it and ate it would you still be a vegetarian ?

I've wondered this as well. I've seen pseudo-studies that claimed plants can "feel" and react to pain (I've never had the opportunity to ask a vegan how they justify eating plants based on that). So that begs the question, at what point do we just admit that we place our right to live above that of another lifeform?

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#116    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,245 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 06 August 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I don't see where this is an excuse for eating meat, where we can be certain it suffers.  We have no such evidence regarding plants and evidence that many plants  evolved needing such pruning.

#117    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 August 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I don't see where this is an excuse for eating meat, where we can be certain it suffers.  We have no such evidence regarding plants and evidence that many plants  evolved needing such pruning.
Oh I'm not saying it is an excuse I was just pointing it out, and like Dark_Grey said we place ourselves above other lifeforms

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#118    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,505 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Dealing with morality while having an organic body is a challenge...but at the end of the day, the survival mechanism trumps all and we eat to live, right?

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users