Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

If You Know How a Cow Feels,Will You Eat Less

cow meat slaughterhouse

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#16    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think the problem is very simple. It not somuch the eating of meat, but the scale and manner in which the meat is cultivated.

We should all eat less meat, and the meat we do eat should have had a rich, healthy life.

Capitalist fundaments would beg to differ, Im affraid.

#17    rose quatz

rose quatz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• "If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

Phaeton80, on 13 July 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

I think the problem is very simple. It not somuch the eating of meat, but the scale and manner in which the meat is cultivated.

We should all eat less meat, and the meat we do eat should have had a rich, healthy life.

Capitalist fundaments would beg to differ, Im affraid.

I always buy 'happy chickens' as in the ones that have been living in a field I dont buy the the ones that are sad because they are all cooped up and stuffed in to cages, the happy ones taste better.

I grew up poor and on the out skirts of a farm we used to get free poultry so from a dietary point of veiw I know from experience that the ones that live a stress free. happy life tend to be better..

I am totally against the way supermarkets seem to encourage mass produced meat, and dont seem to care where it comes from.. but Im no vegetarian. I agree that the way that livestock is treated can be pretty shocking, and really at the most basic level it should be quality over quantity.

#18    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

• The slippery are very crafty.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

I've had dreams of being a deer, but I still want to hunt and kill and consume at least one deer in my lifetime.

I'd think an experience like the one in the study would give participants a greater appreciation for the creatures sacrifice. If that translates to eating less meat, well, these people aren't me.

Posted Image

#19    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,014 posts

• How is the appearance of my house that His ghost could come in among my dwelling?

:-*

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

You should only eat pests or those that would eat you first.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#20    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

Alleviating suffering has little to nothing to do with the animal. It has everything to do with making the person doing the killing feel a bit better about taking a life. I don't want an animal to needlessly suffer because I'm not a psycho, but that doesn't make the animal feel any better. It's still dead. Plus, it ruins the flavor of the meat. It's best if they go quickly and peacefully.

Ratte, on 01 August 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

I've had dreams of being a deer, but I still want to hunt and kill and consume at least one deer in my lifetime.

I'd think an experience like the one in the study would give participants a greater appreciation for the creatures sacrifice. If that translates to eating less meat, well, these people aren't me.

Rodents are disease ridden. Carnivores taste horrible -- or so I've been told.

#21    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Look, if we weren't meant to eat animals, they wouldn't have evolved to be delicious

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#22    morrowcosom

morrowcosom

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

If I knew how a cow felt when being bred and led to slaughter, I would not eat less meat. I would eat less cow and make up for that lack with other meats.

I still would not know how the other animals feel.

#23    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

DystOpt, on 01 August 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Alleviating suffering has little to nothing to do with the animal.

The animals would disagree with you.

It has everything to do with making the person doing the killing feel a bit better about taking a life.

Not so. Some people cannot act otherwise. The same impusle compels people to jump into rivers to save human strangers without even thinking.

I don't want an animal to needlessly suffer because I'm not a psycho, but that doesn't make the animal feel any better. It's still dead.

There's a difference between euthanasia and torture, you just said so, but then you claimed it didn't matter. Maybe I'm not following you here.

Plus, it ruins the flavor of the meat.

Other cultures (asian) would say the opposite. Even in Britain bull baiting (with dogs) was seen as a way to increase the flavour.

It's best if they go quickly and peacefully.

But meat consumption is not necessary to a healthy body, so it is thus cruel.

Rodents are disease ridden. Carnivores taste horrible -- or so I've been told.

Well, millions of consumers in Asia must think cats and dogs taste yummy because they eat a lot of them.

#24    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

SkepticalB, on 02 August 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Look, if we weren't meant to eat animals, they wouldn't have evolved to be delicious

Surely you jest. We've bred cattle so that the females have udders so big they can barely walk, so we can have all the milk we want. Evolution has nothing to do with it.

#25    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,820 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

I think it is true; we evolved as omnivores, which includes meat.  That doesn't mean anything other than that meat tastes good.  We can still abstain if it offends our moral scruples or if our doctor tells us to.

#26    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Just because plants don't scream, doesn't mean they don't suffer when we cut them. Just because they don't have a nervous system, doesn't mean they don't feel, in fact experiments have shown how plants react to music and caring hands.
Unfortunately we need to eat, we need protein and vitamins, and that can only come from the food we eat. Let's not forget that even drinking water means we are swallowing and digesting bacteria that is not visible to the naked eye.

I know animals suffer when I kill them to eat them and I am ever grateful for their sacrifice.
Should we eat less meat? Absolutely.
Should we give them a quick peaceful death? Absolutely.

The day might come when we'll all be able to survive on oxygen and sunlight....but that is not happening yet.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,820 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

I don't think your argument holds much water.  We know animals suffer when we kill them; the pain of the plants that you suggest is entirely hypothetical, and with little if any evidence, just a pretty vivid imagination.

Live on corn if you have to -- that has been harvested after the plant is already dead.

#28    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

That is my personal opinion and what I believe, I am not trying to convince you of anything.

Living on corn only won't give you all the nutrients you need and we need vitamin B12 and the only 'natural' way to get is from animal sources (by natural I mean without the help of technology). That shows me that we need to ingest animal food, that we have evolved or we were created to ingest animals.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,820 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

I generally refrain from eating meat because there is good reason to think they qualify as sentient beings.  This means they have emotions and feel experiences such as pain and other qualia as demonstrated by the fact that they have serotonin receptor pathways.

This seems to me a rational way to deal with a difficult moral subject, and enables me to have an adequate diet.

#30    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Frank, do you eat fish?

Also tagged with cow, meat, slaughterhouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users