Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Alternate/Fictional Universes

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 16 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

I want to go to the Universe where Star Trek is real.

I don't.

In the Star Trek universe Earth is currently struggling to recover from the Eugenics War of the mid-1990's and is just 13 years away from World War III, which will result in the deaths of 600 million people.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#17    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,346 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

Dang I forgot about that. KHAN!!!!!

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#18    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

Maybe it would be the alternate "mirror" Star Trek universe......

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#19    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,569 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

that's the problem with those science fiction universes though. all of those big, dramatic events that are such fun to read about or watch would be pretty horrifying to actually live through!

you think, oh, star wars, yeah! i'd totally want to be a jedi! but then, bam! you're on alderaan about two minutes before the guy says "energize the demolition beam". nothing but space dust.

i may be getting a bit off topic

#20    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

View Postpatagonianhorsesnake, on 17 July 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

that's the problem with those science fiction universes though. all of those big, dramatic events that are such fun to read about or watch would be pretty horrifying to actually live through!

I've heard it said that the best science fiction is not a prediction of how the future could be but a warning of how it could be.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#21    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostZeroZero, on 14 July 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

I didn't know exactly where to place this so I thought this would fit best.

Does anyone think it's possible that in an other dimension or universe, our works of fiction are real? Maybe there's a world where the events of Harry Potter took place exactly as J.K. Rowling wrote them, or your favorite video game world is real. Is it possible, that that everything in an other universe looks like what we know to be animated? Is there a world where Looney Tunes characters roam freely and preform physics shattering stunts? It's all just something I like to think about.
Hmmmmm if there are enough universes maybe but highly unlikely. The problem here is that if nature is deterministic then all events are preordained, and not all things that can physically exist will.

Example. There is nothing in physics stopping a giant solid gold planet from existing. But there is nothing in nature that we kniw of that leads to one existing. So even though a giant solid gold planet can exist there probably is not one anywhere in all of the multiverse unless some super intelligence decides to make one.

A work of fiction to be a reality... Well there simply may not be a vector for those circumstances to arise in that particular way. Now I would imagine more realistic fictions may come very very close. But the minute details will not be the same.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#22    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 21 July 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Hmmmmm if there are enough universes maybe but highly unlikely. The problem here is that if nature is deterministic then all events are preordained, and not all things that can physically exist will.

Example. There is nothing in physics stopping a giant solid gold planet from existing. But there is nothing in nature that we kniw of that leads to one existing. So even though a giant solid gold planet can exist there probably is not one anywhere in all of the multiverse unless some super intelligence decides to make one.

A work of fiction to be a reality... Well there simply may not be a vector for those circumstances to arise in that particular way. Now I would imagine more realistic fictions may come very very close. But the minute details will not be the same.

Stranger things have happened....just ask Waspie

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=251335

10 X Moon Masses of gold COULD coalesce into one decent sized "Wanderer"

Edited by keithisco, 21 July 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#23    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 16 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

I want to go to the Universe where Star Trek is real.

Redshirts by John Scalzi is basically that kind of story.

Ensigns on the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid notice that away teams involving the captain, science officer, and medical officer always result in the death of at least one low ranking crew member. The higher ranked people might get injured or exposed to some strange disease but they're always saved at the last minute. They finally realize they're fictional characters on a badly written science fiction series that were brought to life in an alternate universe by the act of writing and filming the show. The characters figure that out about 100 pages in and it's hinted at before then so I'm not ruining much. It's an entertaining read.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#24    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 21 July 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Stranger things have happened....just ask Waspie

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=251335

10 X Moon Masses of gold COULD coalesce into one decent sized "Wanderer"
Cool.... It would seem that maybe it is possible. A planet sized diamond is also possible. But it could not be solid gold without anything in it. Still intriguing. I would love to have a car sized chunk if it. A golden meteorite would be awesome.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#25    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

if the judeo christian god is real in one of them, wouldnt he be able to go into the realities where he is not. and as its impossible to imagine a god that is more powerfull as he is already described as being beyond mortal comprehension and being over all gods this christian god must exist.
if there is a god in one of them, not that i doubt hes already in this one 0.0

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#26    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 23 July 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

if the judeo christian god is real in one of them, wouldnt he be able to go into the realities where he is not. and as its impossible to imagine a god that is more powerfull as he is already described as being beyond mortal comprehension and being over all gods this christian god must exist.
if there is a god in one of them, not that i doubt hes already in this one 0.0
The Judeo Christian god would have create all of them. But I think it's closer to the great spirit actually being all of infinite reality. If these infinite universes exist one of them is bound to evolve a god like consciousness. The multiverse being infinite it evolved an infinite time ago and has encompassed everything from all directions while continuing to evolve.

To me anything g that is infinite most likely allows for infinite consciousness.

Bruce Lee-

#27    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 14 July 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

No I don't think it is possible. Multiverse does not mean everything is possible.
I think you are right. Multiverse (if infinite) means everything possible is probable

#28    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 24 July 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

The Judeo Christian god would have create all of them. But I think it's closer to the great spirit actually being all of infinite reality. If these infinite universes exist one of them is bound to evolve a god like consciousness. The multiverse being infinite it evolved an infinite time ago and has encompassed everything from all directions while continuing to evolve.

To me anything g that is infinite most likely allows for infinite consciousness.

Not necessarily. To be 'omnipotent' compared to this universe they'd only have to be more powerful than the universe. In an infinite multiverse there'd be infinite universes created by Gods and infinite universes created by Nature. And that's not even considering universes where it is possible for beings to become Gods and create their own universes.

Frankly it's all too mind boggling, we should focus on figuring out this one before we speculate what could be. The only other thing I have to say about it is, if these fictional universes exist, why couldn't I be born in the Star Wars one? Hell I'd settle for being a Muggle in the Harry Potter universe just for the coolness aspect of REAL MAGIC. :P

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

#29    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 14 July 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

No I don't think it is possible. Multiverse does not mean everything is possible.

This.

While a multiverse is indeed possible, and other universes may vary from our own, that variance has to be within certain - fairly narrow - parameters else there would be no physics capable of sustaining matter.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#30    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,507 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think this universe or the multiverse must be a product or byproduct of something else. I mean, from where did the laws of physics that rule all this originate? Universes may be an inconsequential side-effect of this Something Else that is the True Reality.

Universes are just collateral junk. I think this may be true, because what purpose do they serve? Seemingly no purpose at all, at least from my experience from within one. The true meaning of Existence may lie external to all these worthless collections of irrelevant refuse.

There are elementary particles that exist, yet seem to serve no purpose to the construction of our cosmos. I think this is a clue or evidence of my hypothesis. I would be happy if all this were true, because then I wouldn't have to listen to people's tedious "search for meaning" talk all the time.

Plus, I could just relax and forget about it all, and not feel guilty wasting my time playing around on the internet.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users