Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

First ever, Man powered helicopter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,577 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

A team from Canada achieves what many in the aviation industry had deemed impossible.

"Leonardo Da Vinci's dream realised: Canadian inventors achieve world’s first man-powered helicopter flight"

It is one of Leonardo Da Vinci’s most famous inventions – that was never thought possible. But half a millennium after the Italian genius sketched the first plan for a man-powered helicopter, his dream has finally become a reality.

A team of engineers in Canada has completed the first successful flight of a helicopter using nothing but human brawn, and in doing so claimed a $250,000 prize fund.

The aircraft uses spools of string, drawn in by a pilot pumping the pedals of an otherwise fairly ordinary bicycle, to turn four massive – but very light – rotors.

The full story:

http://www.independe...ht-8706413.html

The vid:

Edited by seeder, 14 July 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

If everyone traveled like that we would be in much better shape physically and look at all the oil we would save.

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,577 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostHilander, on 14 July 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

If everyone traveled like that we would be in much better shape physically and look at all the oil we would save.

pain in the ass to park it up tho I expect due to its size

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,943 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Not quite what I was expecting but awesome nonetheless.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Junior Chubb, 15 July 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#5    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

There was a feature story in Popular Mechanics awhile back about this, cool stuff. You can probably find the story on their(p.m.)website to get a better look at the design(s).

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Looks like great indoor fun, however outside the slightest gust of wind could possibly ruin your whole day!

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,577 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostSundew, on 15 July 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Looks like great indoor fun, however outside the slightest gust of wind could possibly ruin your whole day!

Yeh but to be fair, they were just trying to win the money, the concept isnt really feasible as a mode of transport....not yet anyways, but who knows what the future may bring eh?

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,753 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Wow. Great job. And $250,000 doesn't hurt either.

It's a lot bigger than I expected, and like was already said, the rotors are so light that outdoor use is likely dangerous, given wind damage.

But yeah, like seeder said, a good start.

Edit: I don't think this could be considered "based on Da Vinci's design", as his design involves a screw rotor and this does not. An element of commonality is of being solely powered by a single human.
Still, very impressive.

Edited by pallidin, 16 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users