Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Next Mars rover set to launch in 2020

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,858 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

NASA's next Mars rover is aiming to determine whether or not life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Science Recorder said:

NASA’s next mission to Mars could potentially determine whether or not life once inhabited the Red Planet - or even currently still does.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hopefully standard biohazard quarantine procedures will suffice should and Martian life be found and brought to Earth, even though such life might find Earth conditions hostile.

#3    Rhino666

Rhino666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

Just stop buggering about and send someone up there.

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,158 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostRhino666, on 15 July 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Just stop buggering about and send someone up there.

Yes because that will be cheap and easy won't it.

Oh wait a minute, it will be the most expensive scientific undertaking in human history, we don't know how to protect the crew against radiation yet. We don't know if the medical conditions (such as bone loss and eye sight problems) will be too serious to over come. Oh, and no government in the world is currently prepared (or able) to fund a project that will make going to the moon look like a trip to the seaside.

If you think that the research that NASA, Roscosmos and the other space agencies are doing to ensure that they don't kill the first crew they send on a mission to Mars is "buggering about" then I suspect that the astronauts and cosmonauts will be relieved that there is so much "buggering about".

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,283 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Robots are fine for now.  I agree with Waspie we are not ready for a manned trip.  This will be a lot tricker than the moon.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,156 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

For those whom may not know, the following song was part of a NASA/JPL animation(and some actual footage, not much) regarding a mission to Mars.
I think on YouTube it's entitled "30 seconds to Mars"
Thought I may share the full tune...

Edited by pallidin, 17 July 2013 - 04:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users