Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Some People More Than

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,298 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

You come in from a summer hike covered with itchy red mosquito bites, only to have your friends innocently proclaim that they don’t have any. Or you wake up from a night of camping to find your ankles and wrists aflame with bites, while your tentmates are unscathed.

You’re not alone. An estimated 20 percent of people, it turns out, are especially delicious for mosquitoes, and get bit more often on a consistent basis. And while scientists don’t yet have a cure for the ailment, other than preventing bites with insect repellent (which, we’ve recently discovered, some mosquitoes can become immune to over time), they do have a number of ideas regarding why some of us are more prone to bites than others. Here are some of the factors that could play a role:

http://blogs.smithso...re-than-others/

Posted Image

#2    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,122 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

So Type O blood is the so called 'sweet blood'...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,298 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

I went camping with a friend once, we had a couple of days off work so decided that's what we'd do. We didn't go too far from home as it was our first time sleeping outdoors and had two sets of anxious parents hoping we'd be ok.

Everything was going well, we found our campsite, my friend parked her car in the field and we started to put up our tent. Then I could feel myself getting bitten, (parking under a tree hadn't helped) but my friend seemed to be mostly unaffected. By the time our weekend was over I was covered from head to foot in itchy red blotches from my face to my feet, what a mess I was in.....and to top it all I forgot to pack my toothbrush! Happy days :D

Posted Image

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,122 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 15 July 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

and to top it all I forgot to pack my toothbrush! Happy days :D

Nice story, but are you suggesting mosquitoes are attracted to bad breath? ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#5    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 15 July 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

are you suggesting mosquitoes are attracted to bad breath? ;)
they can't be chubb, on holiday in italy, my mum & sister were feasted upon mercilessly, while me & my dad weren't touched, and after a week of pizzas & (what the italians optimistically call) beer, we had breath that could cut through bank vaults!

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,122 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

View Postshrooma, on 15 July 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

they can't be chubb, on holiday in italy, my mum & sister were feasted upon mercilessly, while me & my dad weren't touched, and after a week of pizzas & (what the italians optimistically call) beer, we had breath that could cut through bank vaults!

Lol :)

I was just translating the data rather than making the claim.  ;)

#7    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,939 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Interesting article. I'm one of the folks that skeeters normally ignore. And on the rare occasion I have been bit, I'm not allergic- no swelling or itching at all. But my poor hubby, skeeters love him.

#8    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,950 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

In my case, there are two reasons. One, they can't find my blood. Two, I reaslly do have thick skin.  But in general it is probable tate/smell

I have type o

Edited by danielost, 15 July 2013 - 01:08 PM.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#9    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,238 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

what about sweat?

#10    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,122 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just a single 12-ounce bottle of beer can make you more attractive to the insects, one study found.

Wow, sure glad I don't limit myself to just one and don't drink it from a bottle. :whistle:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#11    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Unfortunately,I am one of the 20 per cent,and here in Northern Ontario they have a good feast on me every summer.I just have to suck it up, for me personally I take one antihistamine a day,which seems to reduce the itching for me.

May not work for everybody though.

Edited by shaddow134, 15 July 2013 - 03:14 PM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#12    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Lol :)

I was just translating the data rather than making the claim.  ;)
aren't you glad chubb, that we live in a country that's completely mozzy free?
i mean, to our right we have mainland europe, where the mozzies hunt in packs & carry flick-knives, and to our left you have the americas, where the skeeters are as big as dustbin lids & carry off untethered children.
but us, in the middle, are left to our own devices.
mind you, the mosquitos over here would have a hard time flying in wellies and a parka, umbrella in hand.....
;-)

if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#13    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,950 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Packageing a box of skitters to send to th ok.  You do know they love water right.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#14    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,122 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

View Postshrooma, on 15 July 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

aren't you glad chubb, that we live in a country that's completely mozzy free?

I don't think my other half agrees with this, she is a Mozzi Magnet.

View Postshrooma, on 15 July 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

i mean, to our right we have mainland europe, where the mozzies hunt in packs & carry flick-knives, and to our left you have the americas, where the skeeters are as big as dustbin lids & carry off untethered children.
but us, in the middle, are left to our own devices.
mind you, the mosquitos over here would have a hard time flying in wellies and a parka, umbrella in hand.....
;-)

God Bless our island.

I think they might have got in through that bloody tunnel... :whistle:

#15    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postdanielost, on 15 July 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Packageing a box of skitters to send to th ok.  You do know they love water right.
they love standing water Dan, and our water doesn't so much stand as usain bolt it down!
here in britain we have 'weather', everywhere else has a 'climate'
*sob*
:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users