Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Study reveals six types of non-believers

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

View Postkrypter3, on 16 July 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

Why do people feel the need to put a label on everyone who is different, or has a different opinion/belief system than another..

I get the feeling that many "soft" sciences do little more than put fancy labels on things that are already known. Then ten years later someone else comes along and puts new labels on the same things as if they're new discoveries.

The labels do absolutely nothing to advance the understanding of these things but scientists do get grants and get to publish studies and pretend they're advancing their field of study.

#17    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think that what I am hearing here is that intellectuals and non-Christians are being called 'Atheists.' That is a rather ambiguous assumption for The Church.

#18    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostWickian, on 16 July 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

What category would simply not caring if religion is true or not land me in?

The category of Non-theist according to this study.

A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion. Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement. No part of their life addresses or considers transcendent ontology.  They are not interested in any type of secularist agenda and simply do not care.

http://www.atheismresearch.com/

#19    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,650 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 16 July 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Atheist are no different than anyone else, the ones I know are no more intelligent than anyone else, though they do want to be unique and special just as we all do.  Some are ass holes, others very nice and respectiful, just ordinary folk and like human beings in other groups, once you get to know them, yes they are all different, with diffent levels of intelligence and emotional intelligence.  

For Wickain...Apatheism:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Apatheism   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Hmm

Apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God does or does not exist, their behavior would not change.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

#20    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,269 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

View Postkrypter3, on 16 July 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

Why do people feel the need to put a label on everyone who is different, or has a different opinion/belief system than another..
Because that is how non-profit organizations are determined by the government, and how government money is doled out. That is what Labels are for, so the government knows in what Jar you belong.

My wife used to have a friend that practiced Ecstatic Dancing. Apparently it is like non-religous meditation, but obviously with dancing, to try to get that "feel" of religion without actually claiming you belong to a religion.

I think the most aggressive Atheists are just as bad as ultra fundamentalist Christians, because they go around trying to "Convert" people just as strongly as any Christian I've ever met. They will argue for weeks on end to prove they are right... when it really just does not matter.

Edited by DieChecker, 17 July 2013 - 01:24 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#21    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 July 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

I think the most aggressive Atheists are just as bad as ultra fundamentalist Christians, because they go around trying to "Convert" people just as strongly as any Christian I've ever met. They will argue for weeks on end to prove they are right... when it really just does not matter.

I have met a good few aggressive Atheists and Christians... I put that down to their nature.. What I mean is, if they are naturally a negative person and can show aggression at anyone for the smallest of things?  Then they obviously are like that naturally.. So, if you removed their title - Christian or Atheist, they'd still be aggressive to others regardless ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 17 July 2013 - 01:09 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#22    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

The "just as varied" part does not cut well with me. I mean, after "study" one encounters there are about six types of non-believers. On the contrary, without an iota of study, any random person can conceive that believers of each religion are often divided into more than types of categories, and that's not taking into account the other thousands of religions and cults and practices around the world. I mean, while there will always be differences between each and every human beings, I don't think there's a lot of different ways to perceive a non-existent God or Power. If you get my gist.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#23    keithisco

keithisco

Alien Abducter

• 5,463 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 17 July 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I have met a good few aggressive Atheists and Christians... I put that down to their nature.. What I mean is, if they are naturally a negative person and can show aggression at anyone for the smallest of things?  Then they obviously are like that naturally.. So, if you removed their title - Christian or Atheist, they'd still be aggressive to others regardless ..
Firstly Atheists are not naturally aggressive, it is not part of what being an Atheist is all about. Yes, they will argue when faced with a Theocratic viewpoint that "should" be imposed on Atheists, but that is the nature of debate and is unrelated to this topic.

The fact is that Atheists (as I consider myself) are NOT agnostic, harbours no belief in a Religious Dimension to life or afterlife but in the same vein, does not expect a theist to understand this viewpoint and therefore tends towards humanistic viewpoints whereby social fairness is bound by a consensus of humanistic understandings. I.E. some things are intrinsically wrong, Murder, Rape, Theft, Corruption, Nepotism etc etc. We are not guided by Religious Tracts or sayings, there are no religious Texts that "guide" us, it is just simple, plain humanity.

Perhaps we Atheists should write up a Bill of Rights by ourselves and Publish it with none of the attendant religious epithets attached. IMO

#24    Winter Summer

Winter Summer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 180 posts

• You're not where you left yourself.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

The study: What an incredible waste of resources and time.

Such an abundance of energy spent trying to pigeon-hole people by degrees of religious beliefs or lack thereof.

Why is religion the pet yardstick?  Think about it real hard.  It's polarizing; makes folks defensive.

Edited by Winter Summer, 19 July 2013 - 04:50 PM.

Silence often says much more
Than trying to say what's been said before.

#25    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 19 July 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

The fact is that Atheists (as I consider myself)....

You would do well to consider what is stated in the following video:

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#26    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 July 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

I disagree. At most, from a aggressive atheist you'll get insulted. At their worst, fundamentalist Christians can be life threatening.

A clarification from the researcher's website:

The project was funded entirely out of the pockets of the researchers and through the volunteer time of student assistants. No tax dollars were exploited to fund this project.

I take issue with this study simply because the classifications are so artificial. I easily fit into more than one category.

As for the six groupings, from the HuffPo article:

The research was born out of Silver's dissertation project and takes a new approach to religious classification. Silver commented in a RawStory interview, “These categories are a first stab at this. In 30 years, we may be looking at a typology of 32 types.”

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#27    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,644 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostTechnocrat, on 20 July 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

You would do well to consider what is stated in the following video:
"God did it", or rather an anthropomorphic God did it as the video was from a catholic source.

Edited by Rlyeh, 24 July 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#28    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,597 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Wow, six types of non-believers. I always thought that there were only two types of humans - Christians with a book from their God Jesus Christ, and atheists with a book from their God Richard Dawkins.

But you know I jest :lol: On a serious note this isn't really news. But really, for the purpose of a census isn't "atheist/non-religious" enough? Or do governments need to know how many anti-theists they have in their country as opposed to just plain old agnostics?

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#29    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 17 July 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

A confounding factor to me of assigning 'aggressiveness' to atheists vs Christians is that many Christians have a significant emotional investment in their beliefs that you don't typically find in atheists with their beliefs.  Are the aggressive atheists really that aggressive and rude, or is it just that they are discussing the idea of Christianity like they discuss any other idea?  The statement that, 'Christianity is based on falsehoods and wishful thinking', I think is sometimes treated as being ruder or more aggressive than the statement, 'quantum dynamics is based on falsehoods and wishful thinking'.  It's not always that some atheists are being rude when discussing Christian notions, it's that they do not give it the special reverence that believers think it deserves.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#30    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,650 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 25 July 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Wow, six types of non-believers. I always thought that there were only two types of humans - Christians with a book from their God Jesus Christ, and atheists with a book from their God Richard Dawkins.

But you know I jest :lol: On a serious note this isn't really news. But really, for the purpose of a census isn't "atheist/non-religious" enough? Or do governments need to know how many anti-theists they have in their country as opposed to just plain old agnostics?
I wonder if you could apply for disability for depression by being "theologically challenged" and having no hope in life...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users