Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Study reveals six types of non-believers

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 25 July 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Wow, six types of non-believers. I always thought that there were only two types of humans - Christians with a book from their God Jesus Christ, and atheists with a book from their God Richard Dawkins.

But you know I jest :lol: On a serious note this isn't really news. But really, for the purpose of a census isn't "atheist/non-religious" enough? Or do governments need to know how many anti-theists they have in their country as opposed to just plain old agnostics?
Like I mentioned up thread this was a privately funded study, government wasn't involved.

And I still dislike this study, even on their site they state that really there were more tha six and they categories aren't mutually exclusive.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#32    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 26 July 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

And I still dislike this study, even on their site they state that really there were more tha six and they categories aren't mutually exclusive.

Then wait for the next study which will break atheists down into twenty overlapping groups. They'll all have specific-sounding names but vague descriptions.

#33    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Then wait for the next study which will break atheists down into twenty overlapping groups. They'll all have specific-sounding names but vague descriptions.
Can I put off until they the Study: The Revenge?
Or The Study: This time it's Personal!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#34    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

I thought atheists were incapable of dogma?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#35    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 26 July 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

I thought atheists were incapable of dogma?
Are you trying to troll or something?
Personality types don't indicate abshared dogma.

-Terry Pratchett

#36    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostWickian, on 16 July 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

What category would simply not caring if religion is true or not land me in?

You're like my husband.  Doesn't know, doesn't care.

I call him an apathetic agnostic.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#37    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 26 July 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Are you trying to troll or something?
Personality types don't indicate abshared dogma.
I'm not understanding.... I'm not a troll. Atheists routinely represent themselves as being without dogma. My comment might have had my toung in my cheek, but in one thread an atheist that I respect very much says they dont have dogma.... Then in this thread a catagorical analysis says some do?

It's funny the fact that I have to explain this pretty much tells me that some atheists do indeed follow dogma.

Edited by Seeker79, 27 July 2013 - 03:17 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#38    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 27 July 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

I'm not understanding.... I'm not a troll. Atheists routinely represent themselves as being without dogma. My comment might have had my toung in my cheek, but in one thread an atheist that I respect very much says they dont have dogma.... Then in this thread a catagorical analysis says some do?

It's funny the fact that I have to explain this pretty much tells me that some atheists do indeed follow dogma.
Eh?
The best you can get from the article itself is:

The researchers had not initially thought to study the "Ritual Atheist/Agnostic group," which was described by the report as individuals who "find utility in tradition and ritual. For example, these individuals may participate in specific rituals, ceremonies, musical opportunities, meditation, yoga classes, or holiday traditions." Silver and Coleman observed that many U.S. Jews fit into the model of this group.
Don't count yoga as very dogmatic.
Atheism itself has no dogma, the only agreement among atheists is lacck of belief in a deity.
Beyond that, atheists can have whatever beliefs they want. There are, for example, buddhit atheists which does include dogma.

-Terry Pratchett

#39    Heroic Bishop

Heroic Bishop

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

You either believe in god or you don't, trying to categorize is just pedantic.

Posted Image

"Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death... I shall fear no evil. For I am at 80,000 feet and climbing." - Psalm of the SR-71

#40    Resh

Resh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

fascinating

.                                                                   Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users