Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are alien probes scouring the galaxy ?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,011 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

How long would it take an alien civilization to explore the whole galaxy using automated probes ?

Discovery News said:

The teams simulations mean that our solar system should have been visited perhaps more than once well-before the dawn of man. Their alien builders might have been motivated to have the machines go stealthy and cover their tracks once a planetary system survey is completed.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,507 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I suppose it begs the question if an alien species would develop such probes only to receive sporadic trickles of information spread out over millions of years? If their politics are anything like ours then it is likely it would be viewed as a waste of time. From a purely scientific research mindset though it has its merits (as well as its drawbacks).

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,551 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Well, naturally, that's what I've often said, that it'd be a much more practical and cost-effective way of exploring space than sending manned craft. It would also, of course, account for why we haven't been "Contacted" yet,

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,230 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

This could also explain why many UFOs do the "now you see them, now you don't" routine. Obviously, we don't know if there are actually any alien space probes zipping around...but it's any interesting speculation none the less.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,507 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 16 July 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Well, naturally, that's what I've often said, that it'd be a much more practical and cost-effective way of exploring space than sending manned craft. It would also, of course, account for why we haven't been "Contacted" yet,

I think it would be a more efficient use of resources with better returns if a civilization only explored the immediate vicinity around their colonized area of space which would expand as they expand as opposed to attempting to explore everything at once. What difference does it make what mineral deposits might be found 50,000 light years away (as an example)? We can only guess at what an alien civilization might consider an appropriate or efficient use of resources.

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#6    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,551 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 16 July 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

I suppose it begs the question if an alien species would develop such probes only to receive sporadic trickles of information spread out over millions of years? If their politics are anything like ours then it is likely it would be viewed as a waste of time. From a purely scientific research mindset though it has its merits (as well as its drawbacks).
if they didn't have to send information back to some "home planet" but used it themselves and learned from it, the idea is that if the probes were self-aware and self-replicating, they wouldn't need to send inforamtion back, they could keep spreading out indefinitely, carry the information themselves, so that the Galactic Civilisation could access the information whenever they wanted to. A bit like the Inter Net, I suppose, with each Probe being a server.
it's an idea that's much along my lines of thinking, and I'm glad that mainstream science is beginning to catch up with my thinking.

[/tongue in cheek]

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#7    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,516 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 16 July 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

it'd be a much more practical and cost-effective way of exploring space than sending manned craft. It would also, of course, account for why we haven't been "Contacted" yet,
so who's building the crop circles then??

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bth due to your lack of understanding.

#8    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,507 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Postshrooma, on 16 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Semi-intelligent alien probes drunk on He3? Snickering as they stumble back out into deep space, pausing to urinate on Pluto on the way out?

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,354 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

I can't see why not, our probes are scouring as much of the galaxy we can reach. Why shouldn't other folks' probes?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,551 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

inter-dimensional portholes.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#11    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,354 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Batman is.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#12    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,516 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 16 July 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

inter-dimensional portholes.
strange how they only appear really in britain, when the weather's warm.
are aliens in cahoots with the English Board of Tourism?!
:-)

#13    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,516 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 16 July 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Batman is.
bloody superheroes, coming over here, ruining our crops.....

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Probes are less expensive but also less competent and flexible, and in a situation where you really have no idea what at all you may encounter, probes could be a serious mistake.

I suspect our own exploration will be in three general phases -- first observation from the earth and near-earth space to identify planets and get and idea what they are about, then probes and later missions.  At a rate of one new colony every century, expanding exponentially, the galaxy would be fully colonized in less than a million years, so one must wonder why we weren't colonized eons ago.

#15    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

I think that must be totally absurd, the Earth is more than four billion years old already. One tenth light-speed seems terribly impractical, not even to mention that even IF their robots are self-replicating where would they get the raw materials from considering that these robots would need something more than air to replicate themselves from, and how would they ever pay for those resources ? How could any space civilization, no matter how advanced, pay for the debts for such an extended exploration of this galaxy which has two hundred billion stars ?  And even IF they could gather data and information on many different global cultures throughout this galaxy that data might just become obsolete within fifty years to say, a hundred and fifty years. And certainly long outmoded before they finish gathering their data and information from all over this galaxy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users