Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are alien probes scouring the galaxy ?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#76    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I donna wanna be too blunt, but I jest cannot see meself as a smart kinda bein not bein intrested in other foks
lake me.

#77    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

Environmentally Friendly

• 29,269 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 July 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

Ask almost any astrophysicist you might happen to find walking down the street and the first you will hear from them is, "Fermi's Paradox." .
i suppose it must get to them after too long peering through Telescopes and all that, poor old souls, they end up wandering the streets muttering "Fermi's paradox" to anyone who'll listen. Sad really. :(

Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

~ D. Trump.

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said in an hourlong speech

#78    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

Environmentally Friendly

• 29,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Anyway, is this that tired old "if the universe is teeming with life, why haven't we heard from them?"? Surely the answers are so obvious and have been repeated so many times, it's hardly worth repeating them yet again.

Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

~ D. Trump.

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said in an hourlong speech

#79    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

Environmentally Friendly

• 29,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

View Postdanielost, on 21 July 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Or as the traveler on next generation said, we aee just not interesting. Also in first contact,the vulcans only stopped by because of the warp test, ie our tech was good enough to interest them.
Well, exactly. That's one of them. It seems enormously big-headed of us to assume that any mega-technological race would find us so exciting that they just couldn't wait to say Howdy.

~ D. Trump.

#80    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,511 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think that our means of detection are probably so outmoded, and probably obsolete, that we have no hope of detecting a Star - Faring race within our System's locality.

#81    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Why not?  The universe is pretty much the same on large scales and we have a nice quiet suburb of a reasonable galaxy.

#82    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Is it arrogance to think we might be alone or is it arrogance to think that we are so special they must avoid us?

#83    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,511 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 July 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Why not?  The universe is pretty much the same on large scales and we have a nice quiet suburb of a reasonable galaxy.

Perhaps because just to get here suggests a level of technology exponentially in advance of our own (however many orders of magnitude that might be is anyones guess).

What would constitute an "Un - reasonable" Galaxy?

#84    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Yes the stars are very, very far, but we already have technologies in the worst and thousands is not millions of years.By unreasonable I include things like Seyferts or the centers of active galaxies, and probably those without gases for planets

Edited by Frank Merton, 21 July 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#85    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thousands of years are still around five hudred generations.  Assuming a generation is twenty years.  True some of the earlier generations might still be around.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#86    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Quite a few people have already made just proposals; they; are are all over the Internet.  Most of the sane ones nowadays envision trip of a few thousand years.  I think we will have that ability this century.

#87    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 July 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Quite a few people have already made just proposals; they; are are all over the Internet.  Most of the sane ones nowadays envision trip of a few thousand years.  I think we will have that ability this century.

I have no idea what you are talking about, and I'm not sure I like being associated with it.

#88    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,318 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

If Alien probes have discovered us, we're probably only a footnote in the Encyclopedia Galactica. Being primitive and harmless to the Galactic civilization, we're most likely ignored.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#89    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Perhaps they follow the federations prime directive, none interference.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#90    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,318 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I've just discovered this:

Interstellar probes can carry out slingshot manoeuvres around the stars they visit, gaining a boost in velocity by extracting energy from the star's motion around the Galactic Centre. These manoeuvres carry little to no extra energy cost, and in previous work it has been shown that a single Voyager-like probe exploring the Galaxy does so 100 times faster when carrying out these slingshots than when navigating purely by powered flight (Forgan et al. 2012). We expand on these results by repeating the experiment with self-replicating probes. The probes explore a box of stars representative of the local Solar neighbourhood, to investigate how self-replication affects exploration timescales when compared with a single non-replicating probe. We explore three different scenarios of probe behaviour: (i) standard powered flight to the nearest unvisited star (no slingshot techniques used), (ii) flight to the nearest unvisited star using slingshot techniques and (iii) flight to the next unvisited star that will give the maximum velocity boost under a slingshot trajectory. In all three scenarios, we find that as expected, using self-replicating probes greatly reduces the exploration time, by up to three orders of magnitude for scenarios (i) and (iii) and two orders of magnitude for (ii). The second case (i.e. nearest-star slingshots) remains the most time effective way to explore a population of stars. As the decision-making algorithms for the fleet are simple, unanticipated ‘race conditions’ among probes are set up, causing the exploration time of the final stars to become much longer than necessary. From the scaling of the probes' performance with star number, we conclude that a fleet of self-replicating probes can indeed explore the Galaxy in a sufficiently short time to warrant the existence of the Fermi Paradox.
http://journals.camb...473550413000244

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users