Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Curious Case of Déjà Vu

déjà vu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,740 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Déjà vu is a rare occurrence, but you know it when you feel it. As you walk through a new city for the first time, something familiar clicks in your mind, giving you pause. You’ve definitely been here before.

But you haven’t. So what gives?

Well, no one really knows for sure. The origin of déjà vu (French for “already seen”), a sense of familiarity with something entirely new, remains hidden somewhere deep in our brains. The phenomenon is difficult to study—most people, when they experience déjà vu, aren’t hooked up to a bunch of electrodes, with clipboard-toting researchers at the ready.

http://blogs.smithso...ase-of-deja-vu/

Posted Image

#2    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

I used to get Deja-vu a lot.. It was awesome..
Then once day I came across an artificial similar to the one posted that explained it all away as a misfiring of the brain that makes reality feel like a memory.

I haven't had it since... :cry:  The Magic died.. It was killed by logic..

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,969 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've had this strongly twice and both times scared the socks off me.Its really creepy.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

• “Truth is an experience not a belief"

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

I had dejavu inside a dream earlier. In the dream i recognised where i was, even though i was lucid enough to know i had never been there and i was lucid enough to say in the dream that i am having dejavu.

I have a slightly different view of dejavu though, i think it often gets confused with precog and astral dreaming. The difference is whether you can recall the origins of it or not. I had a spate of astral dreaming 2 years ago which this past month has been coming into my physical reality. I have been visiting numerous buildings/rooms/landscapes that i dreamed of about 2 years ago, but i had forgotten about. That is why i believe in astral dreaming.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

I 'love it' when prople get creative with 'possible explanations'  usually to explain away something without the effort to really figure out what it is. It really is a big problem in physicalist philosophy.

I have experiences this on occasion, and more than just a feeling of familiarity, I can start to predict what other people are going to say. I know what's comeing next. Many have this experience its just to random to study properly. I also get this feeling when looking at some distant mountain or draw that I am drawn to. I feel like I have already been there. Sometimes so powerful that I don't feel the need to explore it.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:41 AM

I've had deja vu ever since I was a child.
It doesn't freak me out.
It intrigues me.
I remember one time in particular, I unknowingly knew the outcome of half my day. But it was weird, even tho I knew something wasn't going to turn out in my favor, I couldn't necessarily change the outcome.
It's a bizarre phenomenon.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#7    CurleyClown42

CurleyClown42

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 16 July 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Déjà vu is a rare occurrence, but you know it when you feel it. As you walk through a new city for the first time, something familiar clicks in your mind, giving you pause. You’ve definitely been here before.

But you haven’t. So what gives?

Well, no one really knows for sure. The origin of déjà vu (French for “already seen”), a sense of familiarity with something entirely new, remains hidden somewhere deep in our brains. The phenomenon is difficult to study—most people, when they experience déjà vu, aren’t hooked up to a bunch of electrodes, with clipboard-toting researchers at the ready.

http://blogs.smithso...ase-of-deja-vu/
Someone once said that Deja Vu is the universe telling you that you are exactly where you're supposed to be in life...

:alien: CURLEY :alien:

#8    CurleyClown42

CurleyClown42

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Whenever I get Deja Vu I always have to start mouthing ever sentence that someone says(everyone who is a part of it.) And I'm always dead accurate when I do...

:alien: CURLEY :alien:

#9    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

I had that feeling the first time I visited the French Quarter in New Orleans. My mother was surprised that I "knew" where certain buildings were and seemed familiar with the streets. Didn't freak me out though. I've never had another episode since.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

Also tagged with déjà vu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users