Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Ulfberht Swords

viking sword ulfberht

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

I think we would be surprised how much the ancients moved around. Now I'm sure it wasn't large groups all the time but someone with itchy feet wants to see what is over the next hill. He ends up in a distant land in need of a superior weapon which his tribe back home can make. "you give me shiny rock I get you sharp sword". he makes his money and doesn't come back. Olaf thinks he can make a sword just like it "BAM" it make look like a Dyson but it ain't

Now we have a bunch of "experts" scratching their heads "wha  wha  where did this come from?"

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#17    Harry_Dresden

Harry_Dresden

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• Good morning all...nice to see the assassins have all failed.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Tutankhaten-pasheri..

Comparing the Nazi's to the Vikings, is like chalk and cheese, mate.. the Vikings were the traders, adventurers and swords for hire.. whereas the Nazi's drew upon 2000 years of German and European civilization for their technology and power.. an interesting point is that the 'Ulfberht' stamped on the blades of these swords was written in Latin and not in Viking runes, suggesting that the swords were cast by foreigners at great cost and probably from ingots obtained from the east.. You mentioned the Viking boats and I must agree with you that they were well designed built and suited for the way of life of a pirate and marauder..  

Cheers..

#18    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,911 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostHarry_Dresden, on 19 July 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

Tutankhaten-pasheri..

Comparing the Nazi's to the Vikings, is like chalk and cheese, mate.. the Vikings were the traders, adventurers and swords for hire.. whereas the Nazi's drew upon 2000 years of German and European civilization for their technology and power.. an interesting point is that the 'Ulfberht' stamped on the blades of these swords was written in Latin and not in Viking runes, suggesting that the swords were cast by foreigners at great cost and probably from ingots obtained from the east.. You mentioned the Viking boats and I must agree with you that they were well designed built and suited for the way of life of a pirate and marauder..  

Cheers..

While it isn't fair to say they were /only/ pirates and marauders, it's also extremely disingenuous to suggest the Vikings /weren't/ sometimes vicious pirates and marauders, as if they were a group of noble but misunderstood mercenaries. We have centuries of reports of their ruthlessness, theft, rapes and murder.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#19    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,110 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

The show said that it is possible that the Ulfburht Swords used latin letters, for the same reason we do, on our money. A almost mystical sense that using the letters of a more ancient people bestows more power/authority.

Edited by DieChecker, 20 July 2013 - 12:56 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#20    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,759 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 20 July 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

The show said that it is possible that the Ulfburht Swords used latin letters, for the same reason we do, on our money. A almost mystical sense that using the letters of a more ancient people bestows more power/authority.

It appears whoever did the research for 'the show' didn't do a very good job (or they used the same retarded writers as the History channel)...

The Carolingian or Frankish script was developed under the influence of Charlemagne, who did much to further the religious and cultural life of his time. In 789 he decreed the use of Carolingian writing as a standard copying style to replace the national hands that had become largely illegible and corrupt.

Posted Image

Carolingian Minuscule and Majuscule 9th–10th Century

Dictionarytoday

Edited to add link

Edited by Pax Unum, 20 July 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,110 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostPax Unum, on 20 July 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

It appears whoever did the research for 'the show' didn't do a very good job (or they used the same retarded writers as the History channel)...

I believe they meant such in as far as if the swords were made by the Scandanavian Vikings, who I believe were using a runic script at the time, then the strange symbols would be mystical. Naturally if the Franks made the swords they would use their own letters.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    ProductOfSociety

ProductOfSociety

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 July 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

I was watching this Nova special on Netflix and wanted to discuss/share.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2284159044/

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Viking_sword

Apparently these Ulfberht swords were the most effective, expensive, high status swords for the time in Europe. They appear to be made of a much finer steel then the local swords. Who made them is a mystery. What the word "Ulfberht", that was engraved/inset into the blade means is also a mystery.

The metallurgy needed to make this steel did not exist in Europe for almost 1000 years after these blades were created. It is supposed that the steel came out of the Middle east as the steel has similarities to the Damascus steel, which itself is also surrounded by mysterys.

A very interesting show...

Thank you for the link. A very interesting show.

"The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us - there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries." -Carl Sagan

#23    ProductOfSociety

ProductOfSociety

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostHarry_Dresden, on 19 July 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

For a marauding , raping and pillaging group of guy's, i find it hard to believe these Vikings, knew and were capable of producing such technologically innovative swords.. more than likely the Greeks of Constantinople, paid them off with swords for service..

I understand your train of thought there. But people tend to make things (especially weapons) with more advanced technology in times of war.

"The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us - there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries." -Carl Sagan

#24    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,735 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

The swords could have been made from Damascus steel which in turn is made from  wootz steel, which was developed in India.
The technology for developing wootz steel originated in south india, mainly during 300 BC.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu (southern most states of india) have preserved the ancient steel making techniques.
Ancient Europe and Ancient Middle east had long and rich history of trade with south india, mainly with the Malabar coast and ancient Tamil kingdoms.
The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea of details the ports in the Indian sub continent in detail. it is quite possible that the ancient steel making techniques would have been transferred upward to north india and further and across the oceans to the ancient middle east and ancient Europe, with the Greek & roman traders.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users