Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Fossil Cave. Australia's ancient mega fauna.


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

I saw this on 60 Minutes the other night. A cave in Australia's Outback with many well preserved fossils inside.

Video in link for anyone interested.

http://sixtyminutes....videoindex.aspx


The Nullarbor Plain is famous for its emptiness. But that wasn't always the case. More than 50,000 years ago they resembled the plains of Africa. Giant creatures roamed the outback - scientists call them mega fauna.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#2    Odds

Odds

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Joined:25 Jul 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia

  • -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

That cave is incredible. What i wouldn't give to see those enormous creatures in the flesh... Preferably in an armoured car, lol. Nice post.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#3    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

    SandersonHapgood

  • Banned
  • 3,491 posts
  • Joined:23 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostDKO, on 17 July 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

I saw this on 60 Minutes the other night. A cave in Australia's Outback with many well preserved fossils inside.

Video in link for anyone interested.

http://sixtyminutes....videoindex.aspx


The Nullarbor Plain is famous for its emptiness. But that wasn't always the case. More than 50,000 years ago they resembled the plains of Africa. Giant creatures roamed the outback - scientists call them mega fauna.
How did they get so big during an ice age when it's not supposed to be ideal for vegetation to thrive due to the extreme cold and aridity?

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#4    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostNatureBoff, on 17 July 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

How did they get so big during an ice age when it's not supposed to be ideal for vegetation to thrive due to the extreme cold and aridity?

I'm not too sure. I'm looking online now, but I think the Northern Hemisphere was more affected by the last Ice Age.

I'm glad to see a decent question out of you for once. :)

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#5    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Sorry link at top got mixed up. Cycles through different videos over time.

Here's the correct link:

http://sixtyminutes....rmalink-twitter

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#6    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

    SandersonHapgood

  • Banned
  • 3,491 posts
  • Joined:23 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostDKO, on 17 July 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:



I'm not too sure. I'm looking online now, but I think the Northern Hemisphere was more affected by the last Ice Age.

I'm glad to see a decent question out of you for once. :)
South America similarly had mega fauna. There was giant spider monkey skeletons found in the Niah cave system. The same enigma as the mega-wombats discovered in Oz. Both are fruit eating types from the tops of the trees. Connection?

Bones of giant tree-wombat unearthed

Edited by NatureBoff, 17 July 2013 - 08:10 AM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#7    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostNatureBoff, on 17 July 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

South America similarly had mega fauna. There was giant spider monkey skeletons found in the Niah cave system. The same enigma as the mega-wombats discovered in Oz. Both are fruit eating types from the tops of the trees. Connection?

Bones of giant tree-wombat unearthed

Not sure of any connection. There used to be a lot of carnivorous ground dwelling mega fauna in Australia too. Same goes for South America.

http://en.wikipedia....alian_megafauna

http://en.wikipedia....a#South_America

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#8    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

    SandersonHapgood

  • Banned
  • 3,491 posts
  • Joined:23 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostDKO, on 17 July 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:



Not sure of any connection. There used to be a lot of carnivorous ground dwelling mega fauna in Australia too. Same goes for South America.

http://en.wikipedia....alian_megafauna

http://en.wikipedia....a#South_America
So what's you're answer to the ice age mega-fauna conundrum in general then?

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#9    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostNatureBoff, on 17 July 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

So what's you're answer to the ice age mega-fauna conundrum in general then?

I haven't looked into that too much to be honest. In Australia the general consensus is humans hunted them to extinction when they arrived at roughly the same time. Plus the centre of Australia drying out.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#10    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

    SandersonHapgood

  • Banned
  • 3,491 posts
  • Joined:23 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostDKO, on 17 July 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:



I haven't looked into that too much to be honest. In Australia the general consensus is humans hunted them to extinction when they arrived at roughly the same time. Plus the centre of Australia drying out.
Ummm. Humans arriving doesn't explain why they existed in so many numbers and so large in size in the first place does it? Same issue with desertification of the central regions.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#11    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostNatureBoff, on 17 July 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Ummm. Humans arriving doesn't explain why they existed in so many numbers and so large in size in the first place does it? Same issue with desertification of the central regions.

I guess not. I didn't realise we were talking about that. I have no idea.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#12    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

    SandersonHapgood

  • Banned
  • 3,491 posts
  • Joined:23 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostDKO, on 17 July 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

I guess not. I didn't realise we were talking about that. I have no idea.
Thanks for the admission. I have an idea that an increase in tidal strength would create the conditions necessary. Nutrients would be brought up from the bottom, completely changing the biology of the ocean surfaces. More tidal strength means more energy in the ocean systems. More heavy rain systems that would extend further into the continents, although infrequently. Less cloud cover in general leading to an increase in sunshine reaching the surface. Something like that anyway.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users