Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dio's 'Devil Horns' What do they mean?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I've always been a huge fan of Dio, and i thought this would be an interesting article to share for those who may not know the story.

"Dio, explained that he was taught the so-called corna sign by his Italian grandmother, as a way to scare off the "evil eye", a look which is said to cause bad luck."

http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/8687002.stm

#2    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

So many people think tis is the sign of the "illuminati" and other demonic cells. From what dio says it's a way for him to keep away evil, and to longhorns fans its UT pride lol. Honestly I don't think a handsign does much really. Cool post nonetheless...

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#3    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

didn't know RJD had died.....
:-(

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#4    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Yes. The horns are everywhere now, and as a bit of an old school metaler from the 90's - Slayer, Metallica, Death, Sepultura, Megadeth and so on - the horns just mean, to me: "FTW, we have each other. We have Heavy Metal!!" I mean, it was about the music then and it's about the music now. Leave religion out of it. :)

#5    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

View Postd e v i c e, on 17 July 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Yes. The horns are everywhere now, and as a bit of an old school metaler from the 90's - Slayer, Metallica, Death, Sepultura, Megadeth and so on - the horns just mean, to me: "FTW, we have each other. We have Heavy Metal!!" I mean, it was about the music then and it's about the music now. Leave religion out of it. :)

Actually Device, UT started it before The Metal bands :yes: :P :yes:

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#6    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostJessem, on 18 July 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Actually Device, UT started it before The Metal bands :yes: :P :yes:
Okay, that's interesting. But the metalers mean it in a cooler way. :P

#7    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,831 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

View Postshrooma, on 17 July 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

didn't know RJD had died.....
:-(

Yeah that sucked when that happened, man. And stomach cancer of all things. Heavy Metal won't be the same without him.

I can't believe Ozzy is still alive, though. Dude must have nine lives.

PAWNING RESIDENT TROLLS

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

I though the horns were a sign of fertility and abundance. The symbology is still with us today in the cornucopia. The way I remember it is that there are several pagan fertility gods and Christians demonized ( literally) the image of these gods that often resembled goats or bulls.

When used in heavy metal music, it is really just a symbol of counter culture. Basically thumbing its nose religion. This is why Anton Levey used counter Christian imagery when really he gave no credence to biblical mythology what so ever.

Edited by Seeker79, 20 July 2013 - 10:05 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostPurifier, on 18 July 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

Yeah that sucked when that happened, man. And stomach cancer of all things. Heavy Metal won't be the same without him.

I can't believe Ozzy is still alive, though. Dude must have nine lives.

Well, those are exactly the type of myths i thought this thread would address to be false.

#10    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

View Postd e v i c e, on 17 July 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!

Showing my age ! .....Local Reno Band " Anastasia "....The best band in Reno during the 80's !

Posted Image

:nw:  :nw:  :nw:  :nw:  :devil:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#11    markprice

markprice

what

• 3,767 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostAlisdair.MacDonald, on 20 July 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Well, those are exactly the type of myths i thought this thread would address to be false.

You mean Ozzy does not have nine lives? Prove it.

This is getting shilly - Math

#12    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostAlisdair.MacDonald, on 17 July 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

I've always been a huge fan of Dio, and i thought this would be an interesting article to share for those who may not know the story.

"Dio, explained that he was taught the so-called corna sign by his Italian grandmother, as a way to scare off the "evil eye", a look which is said to cause bad luck."

http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/8687002.stm

You want the explanation?

LET DIO EXPLAIN IT !!!!!!!!!!

Solved !

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#13    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostSakari, on 20 July 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!

Showing my age ! .....Local Reno Band " Anastasia "....The best band in Reno during the 80's !

Posted Image

:nw:  :nw:  :nw:  :nw:  :devil:

Okay, which one of them is you? :lol:

Just the styles of the time bring back memories for me. I was a teen in the 80's and was in my 20's during the 90's, and basically everyone i knew looked like that! [above]

It's just great how metal was a real common ground for a lot of people. Still is.

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostAlisdair.MacDonald, on 20 July 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Be careful over in the conspriacy section because those guys will bury you in You Tube videos showing how everyone from Miley Cyrus and the Queen of England to George W. Bush and Steve Jobs are all in on the big boogie woogie whatever because they make that sign.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#15    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostRafterman, on 21 July 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Be careful over in the conspriacy section because those guys will bury you in You Tube videos showing how everyone from Miley Cyrus and the Queen of England to George W. Bush and Steve Jobs are all in on the big boogie woogie whatever because they make that sign.

:w00t:

Oh please!  Miley Cyrus is a no-talent hack so she MUST have made a pact with the devil to get famous.  EVERYBODY know that! ;)

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users