Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

No notifications when my post is quoted.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

In my 'settings' under 'notification preferences' I have checked "Notify me when someone quotes my post [and I'm not already following]" but I'm not being notified in my display, upper right hand side of web page or by email, which is checked also. I'm only noticing replies to my comments if I randomly go back to the topic and see. But my other notifications are working fine, so it's just this one - which is quite a crucial one.

So, where am I going wrong?

Thank you.

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,147 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postd e v i c e, on 18 July 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

In my 'settings' under 'notification preferences' I have checked "Notify me when someone quotes my post [and I'm not already following]" but I'm not being notified in my display, upper right hand side of web page or by email, which is checked also. I'm only noticing replies to my comments if I randomly go back to the topic and see. But my other notifications are working fine, so it's just this one - which is quite a crucial one.

So, where am I going wrong?

Thank you.

Did you receive a notification about this quote ?

#3    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostSaru, on 18 July 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Did you receive a notification about this quote ?

No, Mr Saru. I had to come to the forum to see if there was a reply. But I just received a "like" notification to a recent post I made.

I'm using a Google Chrome browser and Win7 OS, if that's any help. Also, by recommendation, I disabled a bunch of background programs on my comp, a while back, to make it go faster. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,147 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm thinking the "and I'm not already following" aspect of the quote notification feature might be the issue here, if you are already following a thread when someone quotes you then you won't receive a notification about the quote. In this thread for instance you are following the thread so you didn't receive a notification when I quoted you.

Try unfollowing this thread ( button at the top right ) and then I'll quote you again and see if you receive a notification for it.

#5    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostSaru, on 18 July 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

I'm thinking the "and I'm not already following" aspect of the quote notification feature might be the issue here, if you are already following a thread when someone quotes you then you won't receive a notification about the quote. In this thread for instance you are following the thread so you didn't receive a notification when I quoted you.

Try unfollowing this thread ( button at the top right ) and then I'll quote you again and see if you receive a notification for it.

Sounds very promising. Okay, I've unfollowed it.

#6    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Postd e v i c e, on 18 July 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Sounds very promising. Okay, I've unfollowed it.

I'll see if I can quote myself and get a notification.

#7    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,147 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

View Postd e v i c e, on 18 July 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

I'll see if I can quote myself and get a notification.

I'm not sure that will work, but here's a quote from me to see if it triggers a notice.

#8    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostSaru, on 18 July 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

I'm not sure that will work, but here's a quote from me to see if it triggers a notice.

It worked Mr Saru. I received your notification. Thanks. :)

So, I just need to unfollow any topics I post on, if I want to receive a notification that I've been quoted. Okay, not a prob.

Thank you again!

Peace be with you.

#9    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,147 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

No problem, it's good that we got to the bottom of it. :)

#10    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,796 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I never receive notifications for this. Never even knew this feature was implemented. I have only received notifications for PMs and likes

#11    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,147 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 18 July 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

I never receive notifications for this. Never even knew this feature was implemented. I have only received notifications for PMs and likes

You do not have "Notify me when someone quotes my posts (and I'm not already following)" enabled on your notification settings.

#12    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

And, I just realized something else, I needed to check the box that says "Notification method to use for replies to followed topics". If that isn't checked, then you simply wont be notified.

So, it's a case of checking both "Notification method to use for replies to followed topics" and "Notify me when someone quotes my posts [and I'm not already following]" if you want to be notified when someone quotes any post you make, Mr Saru.

So, thank you.

#13    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,796 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostSaru, on 18 July 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

You do not have "Notify me when someone quotes my posts (and I'm not already following)" enabled on your notification settings.

Ok thanks Saru. Ill check them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users