Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How Scientists Search for Habitable Planets

exoplanets habitable zone goldilocks zone kepler nasa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,457 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

In the Zone: How Scientists Search for Habitable Planets

www.nasa.gov said:

There is only one planet we know of, so far, that is drenched with life. That planet is Earth, as you may have guessed, and it has all the right conditions for critters to thrive on its surface. Do other planets beyond our solar system, called exoplanets, also host life forms?

Astronomers still don't know the answer, but they search for potentially habitable planets using a handful of criteria. Ideally, they want to find planets just like Earth, since we know without a doubt that life took root here. The hunt is on for planets about the size of Earth that orbit at just the right distance from their star – in a region termed the habitable zone.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

I would say based on the sheer number of galaxies there are in the one known universe, the odds favor finding more intelligent life out there. Its just a matter of time. Put me in the camp of people who think we have, and are being visited too, fwiw.

Also tagged with exoplanets, habitable zone, goldilocks zone, kepler, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users