Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Men-only golf clubs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

• Prime Minister leads chorus of disapproval at ban on women members
  • Senior ministers boycotting championship in protest at out-dated rules
  • Nick Clegg slams 'inexplicable' and 'anachronistic' ruling
  • Culture Secretary Maria Miller steps up pressure on sexism in sport
  • She demands action by the BBC over John Inverdale's comments that tennis star Bartoli was 'not a looker'
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,203 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

Only if "women only" clubs allow men.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 19 July 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

like what?

#4    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,929 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

let the market decide... odds are it will work out

Vote Libertarian... vote for freedom!

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#5    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 19 July 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

There shouldn't be any gender only clubs today but what about women's only golf days? Every club I played at have a women's day where men can't tee off until they are finished.

Posted Image

#6    Arbenol

Arbenol

Poltergeist

• 2,253 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postxsas, on 19 July 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

There shouldn't be any gender only clubs today but what about women's only golf days? Every club I played at have a women's day where men can't tee off until they are finished.

What about the Women's Institute?

#7    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

The night before the competition started I watched an interview where the club mentioned that at the moment it was a men only club but this would be reviewed after the open was finished.

He seemed to hint that, the ruling was too old fashioned in today's society, but I find most golf clubs old fashioned with there ridiculous dated rules.

Posted Image

#8    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

i can point you in the direction of a million & one women's only hairdressers, schools, salons, gyms, taxi firms, insurance companies, swimming pools and the like, but you don't see many women getting their undies in a bundle over their hypocritical sexism do you....?
why isn't the culture secretary kicking some ass about them then hmm...?
still labouring under some misplaced victim mentality is she?
or just too busy demanding sports commentators be strung from every lamp post?
why don't women just tell us to go **** ourselves and build their own golf courses? you wouldn't hear us men complain as we drove them there and then slipped off down to the river for a spot of fishing.
some people seem to have a pathological need to jump on every bandwagon that comes lumbering past.

Edited by shrooma, 19 July 2013 - 09:25 AM.

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#9    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Personally speaking, it is a Private Club, therefore they can make their own rules (as long as they are not racist)  and I see nothing wrong with this.

As for the comments attributed to John Inverdale, this is the full transcript of what he said:

Earlier this month Inverdale, who is thought to be paid about £600,000 a year, said of Miss Bartoli during coverage of the Wimbledon women’s final: ‘I just wonder if her dad did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14 maybe: “Listen, you are never going to be, you know, a looker.
‘“You are never going to be somebody like a [Maria] Sharapova, you’re never going to be 5 feet 11, you’re never going to be somebody with long legs, so you have to compensate for that. You are going to have to be the most dogged, determined fighter that anyone has ever seen on the tennis court if you are going to make it.” And she kind of is.’

Where is the problem with saying that you cannot rely on "Looks" to get somewhere (which would be the shallowest outcome for most acclaimed "beauties") but to show that you can achieve greatness based solely on your talent?

Edited by keithisco, 19 July 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#10    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

View Postshrooma, on 19 July 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

i can point you in the direction of a million & one women's only hairdressers, schools, salons, gyms, taxi firms, insurance companies, swimming pools and the like, but you don't see many women getting their undies in a bundle over their hypocritical sexism do you....?
why isn't the culture secretary kicking some ass about them then hmm...?
still labouring under some misplaced victim mentality is she?
or just too busy demanding sports commentators be strung from every lamp post?
why don't women just tell us to go **** ourselves and build their own golf courses? you wouldn't hear us men complain as we drove them there and then slipped off down to the river for a spot of fishing.
some people seem to have a pathological need to jump on every bandwagon that comes lumbering past.

I was told I couldn't take my daughter to the local swimming classes because it "Mothers and toddlers". I was actually told to leave?

Posted Image

#11    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Postxsas, on 19 July 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

I was told I couldn't take my daughter to the local swimming classes because it "Mothers and toddlers". I was actually told to leave?

For you to be told this by a Publicly Owned Asset is wrong. Where are the Father and Toddler classes?In fact why is there segregation at all? Segregate half of the pool (leaving the "Deep End" for public use ) to allow the toddlers to learn in a calm environment, but why not fathers and Toddlers.  Your council sems to be entirely sexist (or should I say Feminist)

#12    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 19 July 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

For you to be told this by a Publicly Owned Asset is wrong. Where are the Father and Toddler classes?In fact why is there segregation at all? Segregate half of the pool (leaving the "Deep End" for public use ) to allow the toddlers to learn in a calm environment, but why not fathers and Toddlers.  Your council sems to be entirely sexist (or should I say Feminist)

My council are not only sexist, they are actually rearranging social workers working hours around at the moment so they can visit, individuals that are fasting for Andaman... 8 to 5 has now been changed so they can cater for those fasting.

After all it is Bradford?

Posted Image

#13    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postxsas, on 19 July 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

do they have a "fathers & toddlers" day i wonder?
and if not, then why isn't the culture secretary sending round the death squads?
most women couldn't give the ar$e of a rat whether it was segregated or mixed bathing, in fact, most of them would've looked favourably on you for wanting to take your daughter in the first place, instead of watching the football at the pub.
people like maria miller give women a bad name. always whining on about how women are downtrodden & victimised, when nothing could be further from the truth!
do we men start coiling up the noose when we see Diamond UK ads? or get dragged around Mango (could there BE a more sexist name for a clothes store?!) on saturday afternoon?
no. we don't.
i mean, let's face it, what have we got left eh?
golf clubs (that have ladies days),
and the gents toilet in pubs.
not much really is it?
but do you see us crying into our lambrini about it?
somebody should show Mzzzz miller the REAL meaning of "sexual equality"
and slap her.

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#14    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

(ps- i hope your daughter wasn't too disappointed by her first-hand experience of the ugly role sexism plays in our society?
equal rights?! WE should be so lucky!!)

Edited by shrooma, 19 July 2013 - 04:19 PM.

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#15    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,689 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Political correctness to the dumbest of its potential :td:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users