Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Wompus cat in PA?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Ok, so I was just watching Mountain Monsters, and they are talking about a Creature called The Wompus Beast, and It sounds an awful lot like the same Giant Black Cat creature I use to see in the woods growing up in Central Pennsylvania...

Is it a common creature up here? Has anyone else seen this huge Black Cat creature?

#2    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

Sounds like your classic phantom panther to me. You mostly hear about them in the UK, but there's no shortage of reports in North America either. Just google "black panther sightings" and you'll find reams of them.

#3    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Huh, as a teenager growing up in the sticks I was reclusive and antisocial, so spent a lot of time in the forest and I would literally see this thing sometimes 5 days a week.

It was always moving though. I never got a good look at it, but damn was it fast, and sometimes almost silent...

#4    Vance665

Vance665

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

Where at in PA? I live in Williamsport.

#5    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

We're from a county next to Pleasants County in WV. Hubby and sons and family hunt/ed in Pleasants all the time. We've heard it called the Wampus Kitty, not Beast as per the show!
Can't wait to see where they "hunt" the reptile-human hybrid in Wood County next week (lived there for many years). What a joke... but that is what we expect...a comedy with subtitles.
Because we can't understand them either.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 21 July 2013 - 07:26 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,679 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Wampus_cat

I had never heard of this before. Seems to be a TN, NC, PA thing...

I remember a LONG time ago playing a computer (Commodor 64) game called M.U.L.E., which had a Wampus in it.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Vance665, on 21 July 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Where at in PA? I live in Williamsport.
That was back when I lived in Houtzdale PA...

#8    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

I saw that episode as well and a couple things don't make sense to me from the show. First off, the man's hogs were being taken, yet he did very little in terms of protecting them. Open pens, no lighting and no one with a shotgun watching them. Then the creature gets two hows however the injuries appear to be made by a regular size mountain lion, maybe a little on the large side of regular but nothing shocking to me. The tracks were larger that the wounds would indicate, so I have to wonder about what they thought they had.

......not mention driving around the woods at night in a couple of ATV's with the lights on and them hollering isn't the most stealthy way to make an approach. "YEEEEEE HAAAAAAAW!"

#9    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

I'd like to add, that the Wampus cat, may very well be easily explained as a giant version of a regular Mountain Lion or Cougar. We have giants within our own species and we've seen larger than average specimens of other species throughout time. However, I'd have to say again, the wounds on the pigs on the show looked to be of normal size for a Mountain Lion.

#10    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

The cat took  three 70 pound pigs, having to have jumped over the tall bottom half of a Dutch door, all in a short amount of time while the monster team was searching elsewhere.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 23 July 2013 - 04:55 AM.

#11    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:22 AM

I've an old novel on the settling of the Ohio frontier and found this entry:
"...came home one night and found one of those big black wolves with long dragging tails they called the devil's dogs inside his cabin."
The Trees by Conrad Richter page 248

#12    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

Quittrary, on 23 July 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

The cat took  three 70 pound pigs, having to have jumped over the tall bottom half of a Dutch door, all in a short amount of time while the monster team was searching elsewhere.

And that was hokie in and of itself really. Think about it, three pigs about seventy pounds or so Are taken, and you're a four legged cat like creature. You have Limited time to grab dinner before the hairy redneck hear the pigs squeal and come a running. You can only carry one little piggy at a time because you only have one mouth. That means you have to take a pig, haul it to the spot, kill said pig, go back gor another pig, the rednecks are closing in but you do this three more times. Then.....then you leave all three little dead pigs because the rednecks are upon you. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

#13    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

keninsc, on 23 July 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

And that was hokie in and of itself really. Think about it, three pigs about seventy pounds or so Are taken, and you're a four legged cat like creature. You have Limited time to grab dinner before the hairy redneck hear the pigs squeal and come a running. You can only carry one little piggy at a time because you only have one mouth. That means you have to take a pig, haul it to the spot, kill said pig, go back gor another pig, the rednecks are closing in but you do this three more times. Then.....then you leave all three little dead pigs because the rednecks are upon you. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Maybe there were three wampus cats?
Man, my butt's puckering  just thinking about it... :passifier:

#14    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,381 posts

• Question everything

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

That's assuming of course that it's a cat: http://www.cryptomun...oo-news/wampus/

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#15    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

What do the Cherokee know about it?

Based on the footprints is appeared to be a cat.........but then, I don't know what a werewolf's prints look like.

:blush:

Edited by keninsc, 23 July 2013 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users