Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

human spontaneous combustion

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    whitefox41209

whitefox41209

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

What do you think ... Possible/impossible

Attached Files

• Attached File  sp.jpg   58.56K   87 downloads

#2    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

quite a lot left over there,  Also may wanna tag the topic as caution or summit that's quite a graphic image. Most cases ive heard of not much is left a foot or a hand maybe. That guy looks like he was lynched poor fella.

Edit : sorry dident really answer your question, its possible im a fan of the Wick Effect.

Edited by Vaise, 19 July 2013 - 02:46 AM.

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,353 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

Welcome to the forums, whitefox. :yes:

As you likely know, spontaneous human combustion is documented, but not well understood.

It's rarity and lack of on-site medical witnesses during the event only adds to the speculation over cause.

That it occurs does not seem to be in question, but the "why" and "how" remains.

I've heard some fairly good theories, such as massive alcohol saturation in the body which gets ignited by, say, a cigarette, but most cases I've read about do not seem to have a single "triggering" factor.

#4    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,415 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Klingon disruptor laser ray..!

But seriously, Yes, it has happened before, and will again..

That photo though doesn't fit the classic remains of a human spontaneous combustion victim..  it's more like a necklacing..

#5    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

It's very interesting because the can burn with such heat and intensity so that very little remains, but it's contained enough that flammable things close by dont burn.

Would love an explanation. I'm sure there are a number of contributing factors which are rarely all present.

Lucky otherwise it could be happening all the time.

Posted Image

#6    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Professor's breakthrough on human combustion theory

Written byRachel Allen
Posted Image
Prof Brian J Ford
A Cambridge professor has tackled the issue of spontaneous combustion – using belly pork.
Prof Brian J Ford is a research biologist and author of more than 30 books, most about cell biology and microscopy but he has turned his attention to the mechanisms behind why people ‘explode’.
He said in an article in New Scientist: “One minute they may be relaxing in a chair, the next they erupt into a fireball.
“Jets of blue fire shoot from their bodies like flames from a blowtorch, and within half an hour they are reduced to a pile of ash.
“Typically, the legs remain unscathed sticking out grotesquely from the smoking cinders. Nearby objects – a pile of newspapers on the armrest, for example – are untouched.”
The first record of spontaneous combustion dates back to 1641 when Danish doctor and mathematician Thomas Bartholin described the death of Polonus Vorstius – who drank wine at home in Milan, Italy, one evening in 1470 before bursting into flames.
Since then more reports of spontaneous combustion have been filed and linked to alcoholism – though the link was later disproved.
The most recent case was 76-year-old Michael Faherty who died on December 22, 2010. West Galway coroner Ciaran McLoughlin recorded the cause of death as spontaneous human combustion.
Prof Ford wanted to disprove the alcoholism theory and also something called the ‘wick effect’ suggested by London coroner Gavin Thurston in 1961.
Thurston had described how human fat burns at about 250c, but if melted it will combust on a wick – such as clothes or other material – at room temperatures.
He wrote: “I felt it was time to test the realities, so we marinated pork abdominal tissue in ethanol for a week.
“Even when cloaked in gauze moistened with alcohol, it would not burn.
“Alcohol is not normally present in our tissues, but there is one flammable constituent in the body that can greatly increase in concentration.”
The body creates acetone, which is highly flammable.
He added: “A range of conditions can produce ketosis, in which acetone is formed, including alcoholism, fat-free dieting, diabetes and even teething.
“So we marinated pork tissue in acetone, rather than ethanol.
“This was used to make scale models of humans, which we clothed and set alight.
“They burned to ash within half an hour.
“For the first time a feasible cause of human combustion has been experimentally demonstrated.”
http://www.cambridge...ry-21082012.htm

Edited by alibongo, 20 July 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#7    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,412 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

they coated porkfat in acetone and it burned to ash?!
well, give that man a research grant!
of COURSE it'll ****ing burn, it's ACETONE sherlock! it's nail polish remover, the solvent you use to dissolve fibreglass, and satan p**ses it out.
it's also very highly toxic, and the amount produced by your bodies is miniscule to the extreme, certainly not enough to set you up afluff.
also, low-fat diets dont put your body into ketosis, it's the opposite. high fat, hi protein, low carb, like you'd get on the atkins diet, your body starts to rapidly burn your fat stores putting you into ketosis so you've gotta question this guys findings after making elementary mistakes like that.
who are these "cambridge" guys anyway, never heard of 'em.....
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,387 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Setting the legends and misinformation aside, in all but two documented cases, there has always been an outside combustion source.  And in the case of the two where there wasn't, it just simply wasn't found.  The rest is just the wick effect.

Here is a good review of SHC and what is known about it.  There's much less "woo" there than most think.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4258

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#9    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostRafterman, on 21 July 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Setting the legends and misinformation aside, in all but two documented cases, there has always been an outside combustion source.  And in the case of the two where there wasn't, it just simply wasn't found.  The rest is just the wick effect.

Here is a good review of SHC and what is known about it.  There's much less "woo" there than most think.

" Arnold proposes that a particle that he called a "pyrotron" strikes the victim's body and ignites it from within. His pyrotron is unknown to science, of unknown origin, is undetectable, and has no describable properties, except that it seems to have something to do with kundalini yoga. " This I like.There is so much of this type of  "reasoning" on the Unexplained-Mysteries site.

#10    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,097 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Diabetes and acetone build up plus a spark equals poof.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,923 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I've heard some people claim it's satan attacking people, guess causing mental illness got old.

#12    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostRafterman, on 21 July 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Absolutely, and all the victims were heavy drinkers and smokers.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#13    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostAggie, on 27 July 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Absolutely, and all the victims were heavy drinkers and smokers.
Well they were all smokers in the end! :w00t:

(sorry but I couldn't help myself)

Posted Image

#14    Misanthropic

Misanthropic

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

View PostTimonthy, on 28 July 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Well they were all smokers in the end! :w00t:

(sorry but I couldn't help myself)

Oh burn!
Couldn't help it either.

The lyrics from: Mudvayne - Forget To Remember said:

feeling undone - what have i become?
when i turned my back on you i turned my back on myself and became this machine

#15    Misanthropic

Misanthropic

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

View PostMisterSuperGod, on 04 March 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Oh burn!
Couldn't help it either.

Well, that's spontaneous combustion ash on my face huh? This thread is mad old.

The lyrics from: Mudvayne - Forget To Remember said:

feeling undone - what have i become?
when i turned my back on you i turned my back on myself and became this machine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users