Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Merbeings: Orang means “human” & Ikan "fish"

NatureBoff

I found this a fascinating read. The Curious Case Of The Orang Ikan

Merbeings. Whether you believe they are possible are not, it is undeniable that half human/half fish beings are a recurring theme around the world and across cultural divides. There is an interesting case that was reported by Japanese soldiers from the Kei Islands of Indonesia in 1943.

1-s2.0-S0305750X00000395-gr2.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purple Octopus

• NatureBoff

• Mikko-kun

• Jennifer_P

kappa1.jpg

bald chickenhawk/turtle/lizard. Seems legit.

Edited by phantasia
  • Like 1

It's a kappa. And spotted by the japanese no less... haven't you watched any anime?!

I know what it is called. Doesn't make it real.

It's worth remembering that artists' impressions of multiple eyewitness accounts of strange creatures are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The Victorian drawings of animals from the New World and distant lands were almost always far off the mark.

Just because someone reported it doesn't make it real, I could report I saw bigfoot outside my house, and make "evidence" and get media attention. Like these people did I doubt any mermaids exist, and if they do, i'll dye my hair green.

The Victorian drawings of animals from the New World and distant lands were almost always far off the mark.

Umm, what? Victorian era zoological illustrations were of such a high quality that they were only superseded by photography. The Victorian era is basically the second half of the 19th century, you know.