Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

King David's Palace Uncovered

shaarayim king davids palace biblical goliath

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Archaeologists in Jerusalem claim to have uncovered two large buildings fit for a king -- Biblical King David, that is.

But not all historians agree; one group even argues that King David was no king at all.

Over the past year, archaeologists have excavated a site that they believe to be the fortified Judean city of Shaarayim, where David smote Goliath as described in the Bible.

http://www.foxnews.c...g-david-palace/

Posted Image

#2    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm going to keep watching this. Hopefully it is not just a scheme to make money.

Looking at the picture, it is hard to believe this was just discovered, as the ruins are plain to see on the hill. It is remarkable that they were not cleared off centuries ago.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,791 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 21 July 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I'm going to keep watching this. Hopefully it is not just a scheme to make money.

Looking at the picture, it is hard to believe this was just discovered, as the ruins are plain to see on the hill. It is remarkable that they were not cleared off centuries ago.

Sorry, but the palace on the temple mount was discovered quite a while ago... I tend to believe that if you want to find the legendary temples and palaces J'lem is the wrong place to look for them. J'lem was a two cow capital until ~700 BC while Samaria was quite a potentate residence. Digging there will lead to better results.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

oh wow this is really cool if its legit

#5    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Looking forward to hearing more about this!

#6    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

indeed please post updates in the future if you can find them stills :) very very good post!

#7    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 5,404 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 21 July 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

Sorry, but the palace on the temple mount was discovered quite a while ago... I tend to believe that if you want to find the legendary temples and palaces J'lem is the wrong place to look for them. J'lem was a two cow capital until ~700 BC while Samaria was quite a potentate residence. Digging there will lead to better results.

What on earth is a two cow capital?

Edited by docyabut2, 24 July 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#8    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,139 posts

• Oops.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 24 July 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

What on earth is a two cow capital?
Means it was a poor, unimportant area.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,312 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

In reality, if David was indeed historically linked with Jerusalem, he may have been more of a warlord who was successful in uniting numerous tribes in the highlands of Judah. Jerusalem as a city predates the Hebrews, so David may have taken up residence there after having driven out the resident Canaanites.

Questionmark is correct and his statement is corroborated by long decades of archaeological evidence: until the Assyrian conquests of the early eighth century BCE, the true power in what's now Israel was the Northern Kingdom of Samaria. Jerusalem itself, in the south, was likely a backwater village until that point in time.

As far as that goes, the media likes to paint a pretty picture for the sake of readership: these structures they've been excavating might just as easily have been Canaanite in origin.

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,791 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 24 July 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

As far as that goes, the media likes to paint a pretty picture for the sake of readership: these structures they've been excavating might just as easily have been Canaanite in origin.

Well, from what I see the whole thing is not so impressive, a stable and a larger hut. Hardly a palace. The Ponderosa Ranch house was bigger.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,912 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 July 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Well, from what I see the whole thing is not so impressive, a stable and a larger hut. Hardly a palace. The Ponderosa Ranch house was bigger.

LOL

With a Big Hoss tied-up in the stable.

#12    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,571 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 July 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

We tend to think of "palaces" like Versaille or Buckingham or even Cinderella's castle at Disneyland... In reality this was set in the Bronze age (early Bronze age most likely) and an Impressive building
back then was more along the lines of one that had solid walls, not just daub and wattle - or mud...

Here is a pic of the Royal Palace at Ur from (very roughly) the same period of history (perhaps a bit earlier in time but not technology):

Posted Image

As you can see it's just a blocky, mud-brick building that was probably roofed over with palm fronds and danged dim inside... Not too impressive by modern standards but probably
quite the place back then...

Edited by Taun, 19 August 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,791 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostTaun, on 19 August 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

We tend to think of "palaces" like Versaille or Buckingham or even Cinderella's castle at Disneyland... In reality this was set in the Bronze age (early Bronze age most likely) and an Impressive building
back then was more along the lines of one that had solid walls, not just daub and wattle - or mud...

Here is a pic of the Royal Palace at Ur from (very roughly) the same period of history (perhaps a bit earlier in time but not technology):

Posted Image

As you can see it's just a blocky, mud-brick building that was probably roofed over with palm fronds and danged dim inside... Not too impressive by modern standards but probably
quite the place back then...

Take 1/8 of that and you will have the J'lem "palace", including stable of course.

about me

#14    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,571 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 19 August 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Take 1/8 of that and you will have the J'lem "palace", including stable of course.

Most of those rooms were for scribes and storage... The Sumerians were fanatics about having lots of scribes...

#15    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

This is pretty cool. Bears watching.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users