Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 6 votes

Under ground government cities?

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostDKO, on 21 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

There's an underground town in the Outback. Coober Pedy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But underground Government cities, I haven't heard any decent info. Sounds a bit farfetched though. Facilities, sure, but cities?

Can you get that fried onion thingy there that looks like a flower?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostRafterman, on 21 July 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Can you get that fried onion thingy there that looks like a flower?

I'm not too sure. I've never been to Coober Pedy, I think it's pretty much just a mining town though.

Are you talking about a Blooming Onion? I have never heard of them before, just searched it then.

http://en.wikipedia..../Blooming_onion

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#18    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

• "The Truth is out there."

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 21 July 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

But what about the undrground highways stretching for thousands of miles? Even from Washigton to Maine?

"The truth is out there......but are we willing to accept it when we find it?"

#19    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

Is that from the state of Washington, or the District of Columbia?

Do you have any idea of the time, manpower, expertise, and expense involved in such an undertaking?  And the sheer number of people that would have to be involved in such an undertaking would positively guarantee that someone ( a whole bunch of 'someones') would talk about this

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#20    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostColumbo, on 22 July 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

But what about the underground highways stretching for thousands of miles?
i think you kinda answered your own question there Columbo.....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#21    Shush_rules

Shush_rules

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

I frankly don't think that an underground city inhabited by thousands of people is so crazy. There's a sewerage plant which also doubles as a desalination plant in Sydney. It has about 70% of its workers working underground, they employ hundreds of people.
Why is it such a stretch that some other corporation has some underground cities where they've got people working on things. It really doesn't have to be a conspiracy. It could just be your average boring secret instead. Have a bunch of them sign some confidentiality agreements, pay them enough money and there you have it, underground cities.

"There ain't no heroes no villians, ain't no pleasure in killing, just the smoke from the cap peeling a man with no feeling, Tear Drops and Closed Caskets"

#22    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I'm not so sure you could call the "cities" in the sense of 24/7 365 a year occupation/residency.  However, they have the "potential" to do so in a crisis.

Site "R" (sometimes called "The little Pentagon") is deep inside South Mountain.  It's less than an hour from DC via helicopter.  (Actually fairly close to Camp David.)  Supposedly, this is where Rumsfeld went during 9/11.  I knew some contractors that worked there (electricians) and they said it was a virtual city underground and was supposed to be an emergency command center in case of disaster.  They also said...that was all they were allowed to say.

There is also (I think this is the name) Mount Storm here in Virginia.  It is supposedly capable of supporting thousands of Government officials and support staff for indefinite periods of time.  It has underground lakes for water storage, sewage treatment, air purifiers...you name it.  It's another place that no one is really allowed to talk much about other than it's a real place, it's a literal city and it's there in case of disaster/invasion.  It is also a quick trip by chopper from DC.

So...there are places that "could be" cities, but the guards and staff are not what you would call "citizens".  At the end of their shift, my understanding is they take an elevator to the surface...and go home.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 22 July 2013 - 03:12 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#23    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostDKO, on 21 July 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

I'm not too sure. I've never been to Coober Pedy, I think it's pretty much just a mining town though.

Are you talking about a Blooming Onion? I have never heard of them before, just searched it then.

http://en.wikipedia..../Blooming_onion

I thought that's all you guys ate down there - at least that's what the Outback Steakhouse commercials indicate.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#24    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

View Postshrooma, on 22 July 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

i think you kinda answered your own question there Columbo.....

#25    BadChadB33

BadChadB33

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

So that's where the aliens are staying at.

Edited by BadChadB33, 22 July 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#26    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

How so?

#27    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Sorry folks, my iPhone is going wonky.

#28    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,144 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostEnfantTerrible, on 21 July 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

I recall watching a documentary on 9/11 and they brought Dick Cheney somewhere underground that was pretty extensive. Also, apparently the Moscow subway has basically an alternate version, with underground bunkers.
Well, everyone knows that all Governments have shelters and bunkers for use if the Balloon should go up; they've been doing that since WWIi, of course; but as so often seems to be the case, these conspiracy-type theories always go several steps further, and envisage completely unverifiable vast complexes for use when (presumably) the New World Order take over. Personally I blame Cubby Broccoli; no self-respecting would-be ruler of the World is complete without a Secret Underground Lair.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#29    archer95446

archer95446

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

• The picture is of my great great grandparents, on their 60th wedding anniversary!!!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

A few years back, on the Discovery Channel, I saw a program about these  secret "underground cities".  The reporter wasn't allowed to enter the site, but, a military
officer, who wished to remain anynomous, did say that it's a thriving metropolis, complete with up-and-running businesses and stores, neighborhoods, schools, roads,
cars, ect!!!  He had said, a lot of people live down there!!!

I've been keeping an eye out, for a repeat of that show, but, somehow, I really don't think it'll be shown again.  It was quite interesting!!!

#30    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

ah, blurry uncertain videos. always proof positive of whatever it is you want to prove.

more serious, there are huge underground cities out there. they call the mines!

http://io9.com/59118...beneath-detroit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users