Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

The Conjuring

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,845 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

Just wondering if anyone here has seen or plans to see this movie.  I just read a few dozen tweets about it and I can say I'll not be watching it FOR SURE!  I believe in demon possession and I think movies that explore such issues (like the EXORCIST) can be invitations to such possession.
So what do you think?  Will you be watching this movie?

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#2    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

Yes...with a five pointed circled star underneath me for protection and a case of holy water. Then after watching the movie, I will exorcise myself and rebuke me...just in case.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

As a believer ,it totally creeped me out . I've never seen a movie rated R for scariness before.
Some parts are quite hair raising . The demon was quite powerful .
I know they dramatized it a bit,but some of the background on Lorraine and Ed Warren ,was quite interesting.

I read a lot about this case .
I find the seriously evil cases of demonic possession always involve kids .
The Exorcist,A haunting in CT ,Amityville. It reaffirms my belief that demons are cowards who always attack the weak ,especially kids .

One of the daughters has written a trilogy of books about the incidents they all experienced . I'm curious to read it now.

I don't believe watching such a movie can lead ro possession however .That would mean 1000s of people can be affected by seeing a movie.
If that were the case,the exorcist would have caused a wave of possessions world wide .

There was one part where Ed describes the progression of possession .
I've never heard it put this was before .

Infestation ,oppression ,possession .
I realized I had gotten to oppression before I decided to fight back.
Knowing how they work is a tool that gives you power.

It also showed how they latch on to your body ,literally .
I have known that for years .

Miss me?

#4    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• 1,401 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

I dont know if demons are more coward than lazy, kids are just more open to influences.

That said, I'm definetely gonna watch it once I get my hands on it. No protection either, because I have innate protection of resistant mind. Has made believing in things harder for me, but also I believe it works as a barrier against those things. It's good to test whether my beliefs are true or not.  And the movie itself sounds awfully interesting, especially after reading Simbi's take on it.

I'll be gone.

#5    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'm not worried about demon possession, but this is one movie, in a long long time, whose trailer has me wondering if it might actually be creepy.
I think I'll go see it. Alone.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#6    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

View Postand then, on 21 July 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

Just wondering if anyone here has seen or plans to see this movie.  I just read a few dozen tweets about it and I can say I'll not be watching it FOR SURE!  I believe in demon possession and I think movies that explore such issues (like the EXORCIST) can be invitations to such possession.

I won´t be watching it because I am generally not interested in Hollywood productions where they try to scare you with stupid props and sound effects.

Demon possession? I am not superstitious, so am I am immune to that crap. Basically, you are talking about self-hypnosis, so if you are a believer, then yes, you can create all sorts of problems for yourself.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#7    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I love horror films, though after just now looking at the trailer, which is very good, I begin to suspect that as so much was shown in the trailer, then you already saw all the good bits. I hope not though.

#8    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Loved the trailer

I loved James Wans - Saw, so this should be good..

EDIT - I don't believe in demon possessions, but I will watch it because I read the good reviews on IMDB..See here - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1457767/

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 21 July 2013 - 12:04 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#9    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,969 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have never been able to understand why so many humans somehow enjoy having the **** scared out of them?

I love movies, but I don't like to be frightened.  Give me music and dancing anyday, but not the blood & guts and scary stuff. :cry:

#10    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

People actually believe that watching a scary movie about demonic possession can cause a demonic possession? Isnt that like believing that cameras steal peoples souls?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#11    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• 1,401 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostStellar, on 21 July 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

People actually believe that watching a scary movie about demonic possession can cause a demonic possession? Isnt that like believing that cameras steal peoples souls?

Haven't you noticed the decline of appreciating subjectivity?

I'll be gone.

#12    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,907 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostStellar, on 21 July 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Come, come now, man! That's just incredibly ridiculous. But it does steal a very small piece of you every time your picture is taken, so it's a good idea to get both the negative and picture from the photographer as soon as possible. Can't have pieces of yourself hanging on peoples walls or placed in their wallets. If so, they would own and have a piece of you.

Feel free to thank me for enlightening you about this. ;)

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

I look at demon possession as nothing more than make believe, but darn it, they can make the odd good horror flick from the same ideas...And have done  lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#14    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'll probably watch it when it hits Netflix.

One of the nice side effects of being an Atheist, is that Demon possession doesn't hold much water for me either...

Not that I won't be suitably creeped out while watching!!!

Edited by supervike, 21 July 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#15    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

From wiki;

"They go to the nearest Catholic Church to organize an exorcism." What, like rounding up a posse?

It takes approval from a Bishop to authorize an exorcism. Anyways, I'm sure it will be a scary blockbuster judging from Ed and Lorraine's involvement with the Amityville Horror.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users