Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Japan warns UK not to leave Europe

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,418 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

The Times said:

THE Japanese government has waded into the debate over Britain’s relationship with Europe, issuing an extraordinary warning against leaving the EU.

The Tokyo government has hinted that 130,000 British jobs could be at stake if the UK pulls out of the union.

A memo submitted to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office warns that Japanese companies invest in the UK because they see it as a gateway to European markets.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

OMG, this is Abe again, sticking the other foot in his mouth. Even among the merry-go-round of clueless Japanese PMs, this guy is an embarrassment.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,548 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sound like blackmail to me.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

If there is one thing that will backfire on foreign governments warning the UK population not to leave the EU, is that very fact of being told so by foreign governments. I am afraid, right or wrong, that "Johnny Foreigner" is still eyed with suspicion when they try to tell the Brits to do something....

#5    ExoPaul

ExoPaul

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

And how great is the Japanese economy at the moment? Not very..... they are in a worse situation than several European countries and are not a great trade partner for exporting to. If anything they NEED the UK to export to and as such it is THEM that are worried and thinking it is a bad idea we pull out of the EU!

The fact of the matter is that if we do pull out of the EU we can trade under our own terms, and undercut most of Europe, offering much better deals for the likes of many countries such as China and the Far East and the rising S.American economies that are looking to the UK for import/export but are tied to selling and importing with the EU too, than we can under this "Fair Trade" rubbish that only benefits the countries that man-handle Brussels so they get the best deals.

As a certain UKIP leader said many times and was laughed at...... "Mercedes, Porsche and BMW are not going to suddenly stop selling cars to the UK just because we are no longer within the EU!". Funny that the Con/Lab/Libs all laughed at the quote and told him he talked rubbish, and then when UKIP wiped the floor with them at local elections, several Conservative MP's were in the press the week after making the exact same quote about car manufacturers will still continue to trade with us if we left the EU.

At the end of the day, this rubbish talk about the EU being an important trade partner is just that, rubbish. Ask any bank whether they would do business with someone heavily in debt and they will laugh you out the bank. Ask any retailer if he will be willing to let someone take out credit with a black-listed credit report and no money in their wallet and he will laugh you out the store.... and yet we are to believe the UK somehow thinks the EU (who is made up of many bankrupt, poor credit countries who cannot even pay their own bills without bailouts, using a currency always on the brink of collapse) is a really good partner to be trading with and we should ignore the money rich Middle East, China and rising S America to stick to selling to countries who can't pay us for the goods! The truth is that if we leave, we can still buy goods from the EU but we can ignore EU fair trade laws and pay much cheaper for goods, while at the same time we can sell our goods for cheaper and more mass volume to the EU and many, many other better off economies! But the EU knows we are in a strong position if we pull out and will do ANYTHING to keep us in, because without us, there is nobody to keep bailing out the little poor countries, propping up their dying currency and doing all the hard work of bringing in import/export/financial business into the EU through our doors! If we leave and close the doors..... who will take up the strain and be willing to do so much for so many for so little thanks? Nobody...... and then the EU will collapse!

#6    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

The EU was a sensible project as long as they had the limited goal of promoting free trade and cooperation among nation states (like they did when they still called it the EEC). But since then, the megalomaniacs have taken over in Brussels, and the recent push to create an undemocratic, oversized, overregulated monstrous super-state, with a common currency that does not work (Maastricht), a constitution than nobody voted for (Barcelona), open borders (Scheveningen) and uncontrolled and omnipotent agency that can reach into national budgets (the EMS), they simply have overshot the goal.

It is like the overpaid and uncontrolled parasites in Brussels want to re-create the Sovjet Union!

It is total insanity. Nigel Farange pretty much nails it in his comments about it.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#7    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostExoPaul, on 21 July 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

And how great is the Japanese economy at the moment? Not very..... they are in a worse situation than several European countries and are not a great trade partner for exporting to. If anything they NEED the UK to export to and as such it is THEM that are worried and thinking it is a bad idea we pull out of the EU!

The fact of the matter is that if we do pull out of the EU we can trade under our own terms, and undercut most of Europe, offering much better deals for the likes of many countries such as China and the Far East and the rising S.American economies that are looking to the UK for import/export but are tied to selling and importing with the EU too, than we can under this "Fair Trade" rubbish that only benefits the countries that man-handle Brussels so they get the best deals.

As a certain UKIP leader said many times and was laughed at...... "Mercedes, Porsche and BMW are not going to suddenly stop selling cars to the UK just because we are no longer within the EU!". Funny that the Con/Lab/Libs all laughed at the quote and told him he talked rubbish, and then when UKIP wiped the floor with them at local elections, several Conservative MP's were in the press the week after making the exact same quote about car manufacturers will still continue to trade with us if we left the EU.

At the end of the day, this rubbish talk about the EU being an important trade partner is just that, rubbish. Ask any bank whether they would do business with someone heavily in debt and they will laugh you out the bank. Ask any retailer if he will be willing to let someone take out credit with a black-listed credit report and no money in their wallet and he will laugh you out the store.... and yet we are to believe the UK somehow thinks the EU (who is made up of many bankrupt, poor credit countries who cannot even pay their own bills without bailouts, using a currency always on the brink of collapse) is a really good partner to be trading with and we should ignore the money rich Middle East, China and rising S America to stick to selling to countries who can't pay us for the goods! The truth is that if we leave, we can still buy goods from the EU but we can ignore EU fair trade laws and pay much cheaper for goods, while at the same time we can sell our goods for cheaper and more mass volume to the EU and many, many other better off economies! But the EU knows we are in a strong position if we pull out and will do ANYTHING to keep us in, because without us, there is nobody to keep bailing out the little poor countries, propping up their dying currency and doing all the hard work of bringing in import/export/financial business into the EU through our doors! If we leave and close the doors..... who will take up the strain and be willing to do so much for so many for so little thanks? Nobody...... and then the EU will collapse!

A few basic mis-conceptions in your post.

The UK will not be able to sell anything to the EU if it is produced within the EU at a higher cost because they (the EU) will simply increase the Tarrifs on such goods to ensure that trading is maintained on a level playing field, and to protect EU production.

The UK has NOT propped up the Euro, essentially it has been Germany, and the Euro has remained remarkably resilient against Sterling and the Dollar. The Euro crisis is well and truly over because it is also supported by the Fed and China, and will not be disappearing anytime soon. Structural problems remain of course because there is not a Common Fiscal Policy amongst Euro nations.

I actually  totally support UK withdrawal from the EU because it does not suit the Industrial, Economic, and Financial mindset of the UK.

#8    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,683 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

90% of the British economy does not trade with the EU. and as for losing jobs, we had no problem losing 150,000 British jobs and ruining our fishing towns/communities and fishing fleets thanks to being EU members. and in doing so affectively handed over our fishing grounds of which 80% of the fish in europe is caught in UK waters.

so i say to Japan, if you want to leave, go, we have far more to lose if we remain EU members. lets not kid ourselves these global businesses are built on shifting sands. no loyalty,

the British government should start helping the true economy of the UK, the small to medium companies who employ the majority of the work force and contribute more to their local economies than these big multinationals who seek tax loopholes and have tax havens. and here im not talking about some tax haven in the Caribbean. no, - look no further than Luxembourg in the EU. one example: Amazon.co.uk. £10Billion pound profit. in the UK and over 9 years they have paid just £3 million in tax in the UK.

because the UK Amazon operation avoids tax as the ownership of the main Amazon.co.uk business was transferred to a Luxembourg company in 2006. The UK business is now owned by Amazon EU Sarl and the UK operation is classed only as an "order fulfilment" business. All payments for books, DVDs and other goods go directly to Luxembourg. The UK business is simply a delivery organisation.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#9    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Another fallacy from ExoPaul is that pulling out of the EU will reduce Britian's manufacturing cost base. In order to export to its main market, the EU, the British will have to comply with every single EU regulation relating to those exported products. They will have absolutely no say in any future legislation which they will have to comply with in turn. The result is that they will be slowly squeezed out of European markets as they fall further and further out of step with the European legislative framework.

That will be a result for the Little Britainers.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#10    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 21 July 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

90% of the British economy does not trade with the EU. and as for losing jobs, we had no problem losing 150,000 British jobs and ruining our fishing towns/communities and fishing fleets thanks to being EU members. and in doing so affectively handed over our fishing grounds of which 80% of the fish in europe is caught in UK waters.

so i say to Japan, if you want to leave, go, we have far more to lose if we remain EU members. lets not kid ourselves these global businesses are built on shifting sands. no loyalty,

the British government should start helping the true economy of the UK, the small to medium companies who employ the majority of the work force and contribute more to their local economies than these big multinationals who seek tax loopholes and have tax havens. and here im not talking about some tax haven in the Caribbean. no, - look no further than Luxembourg in the EU. one example: Amazon.co.uk. £10Billion pound profit. in the UK and over 9 years they have paid just £3 million in tax in the UK.

because the UK Amazon operation avoids tax as the ownership of the main Amazon.co.uk business was transferred to a Luxembourg company in 2006. The UK business is now owned by Amazon EU Sarl and the UK operation is classed only as an "order fulfilment" business. All payments for books, DVDs and other goods go directly to Luxembourg. The UK business is simply a delivery organisation.
Those companies located to the UK because they were assisted, by the lax regulations, to offshore their profits away from Britain and Europe. How is a Government who has built the recent economy on encouraging tax avoidance, going to change to make those companies pay their way ?
The British Government has not supported small to medium enterprises for about 30years at this stage.

Pulling out of our main export market and then losing the small bit of revenue the large inward investors produce will all but sink the British economy.

Screwy logic strikes again.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 21 July 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#11    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

As you can see, the EU is no longer britain's main export market-
http://www.telegraph...ger-the-EU.html
a position it will probably never be in again either.
as Exopaul quite rightly said, we're ditching the crippled EU and going back to our traditional export markets of the colonies, with the USA, latin america, and the far east too.
our days of being beholden to brussels are being put rapidly behind us.

Edited by shrooma, 21 July 2013 - 08:28 PM.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#12    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Postshrooma, on 21 July 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

As you can see, the EU is no longer britain's main export market-
http://www.telegraph...ger-the-EU.html
a position it will probably never be in again either.
as Exopaul quite rightly said, we're ditching the crippled EU and going back to our traditional export markets of the colonies, with the USA, latin america, and the far east too.
our days of being beholden to brussels are being put rapidly behind us.
Quite a deceptive interpretation of the survey (what would you expect from the Telegraph) - it clearly shows that the EU still accounts for our biggest single trade zone at just under half of all exports (49%). That's a huge amount of potential decline.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#13    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

And once again quite a deceptive sidestep from you to be able to focus objectively where the subject of the EU is concerned Br.
maybe this report from the Daily Mail would be more palatable?

http://www.dailymail...-EU-inside.html
or are they just being biased too....?
if you notice the poll from "little britain's" business leaders, you'll note that the largest percentage of them want to remain in the EU, but to renegotiate a looser agreement, which would probably be a good idea, as no matter which way you look at it, the rest of the world, from the USA to the far east, are s**tting themselves about "little britain" leaving the EU.
also, while the EU remains our biggest SINGLE market, exports to these countries are actually falling, so developing other markets seems prudent, as the 'potential decline' you mention isn't so much 'potential' as 'actually happening'.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#14    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

They are ****ting themselves because they will lose money since they are heavily invested in Britain as their gateway to the EU. If they lose money - then the UK loses money since it will lose another tranch of revenue generating industry and jobs.
The UK's current economic position is built on inward investment and its low tax gateway to the EU status. If it goes it alone it will lose revenue which will force it to increase taxes on the industries which remain further driving inward investment away.

A loser Federation of states is not the way the wind is blowing and no amount of Telegraph or Mail wishful thinking is going to change that fact.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#15    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,548 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 21 July 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

They will have absolutely no say in any future legislation which they will have to comply with in turn.
I seem to recall incidents of Britain trying to have a say in policy and being told "don't try and bully us Britain" by the EU.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users