Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Eric Davis on scientists and UFOs

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,190 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Physicist Dr Eric Davis believes that scientists are becoming more openly involved in UFO investigation.

Guardian Express said:

For years many scientists have avoided discussing their own hypothesis and research surrounding this topic of investigation. However, Dr. Davis is among many scientists who illustrate that this concept is shifting as more scientists are openly discussing UFO investigation.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Good, more science needs to be done on this subject. Maybe get some solid answers for once

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#3    shrooma

shrooma

. . . . Dazed & Confused . . . .

• 3,873 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE-
"There are scientists who are aware of evidence and observational data that is not refutable. It is absolutely corroborated, using forensic
techniques and methodology,"
i wonder which pieces of absolutely irrefutable, forensically corroborated evidence he's speaking of....?
and could he show it to the rest of us.
please.

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,411 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postshrooma, on 22 July 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

QUOTE-
"There are scientists who are aware of evidence and observational data that is not refutable. It is absolutely corroborated, using forensic
techniques and methodology,"
i wonder which pieces of absolutely irrefutable, forensically corroborated evidence he's speaking of....?
and could he show it to the rest of us.
please.

I would like to see this too, but it is answered in the next line of the article...

But they won’t come out and publicize that because they fear it. Not the subject — they fear the backlash from their professional colleagues. The impact on their career might be detrimental and they’d get bad publicity.

Forgive my ignorance of the politics of science but if I was 'aware of evidence and observational data that is not refutable. It is absolutely corroborated, using forensic
techniques and methodology' I would be publicising it asap, after all 'not refutable' is irrefutable isn't it?

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#5    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,815 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

I can think of a couple of instances where *something* was obviously seen and was corroborated by radar. Perhaps this sort of event is what is meant there? The examples I'm thinking of are: The 2000 sighting of the Illinois triangle, the UFO seen by the Japanese airliner over Alaska, and the UFO engaged by the Iranian Airforce back in the late 70s. These all include multiple professional witnesses and radar data.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#6    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,873 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 22 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Forgive my ignorance of the politics of science but if I was 'aware of evidence and observational data that is not refutable. It is absolutely corroborated, using forensic
techniques and methodology' I would be publicising it asap, after all 'not refutable' is irrefutable isn't it?
The above quotation was taken from the book entitled-
"how to successfully use logic to win arguments and influence people"
written by Junior Chubb and available from all good bookstores.

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#7    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,873 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostLilly, on 22 July 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

I can think of a couple of instances where *something* was obviously seen and was corroborated by radar. Perhaps this sort of event is what is meant there? The examples I'm thinking of are: The 2000 sighting of the Illinois triangle, the UFO seen by the Japanese airliner over Alaska, and the UFO engaged by the Iranian Airforce back in the late 70s. These all include multiple professional witnesses and radar data.
i'm only aware of the illinois case out of your examples lilly (who isn't!), and as far as i can remember, the only evidence from it was witness testimony, and a dodgy polaroid that looked like a wobbly shot of street lights.
there were no radar traces whatsoever, despite flying close to a military airfield and the local civilian airfield.
not that i'm doubting the witness testimony, as you say, they saw "something" but it's hardly what i'd call 'forensically corroborated, absolutely irrefutable evidence'.
(scuttles off to the internet to check out the other two cases.....)

Edited by shrooma, 22 July 2013 - 11:28 AM.

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#8    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,958 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 22 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I would like to see this too, but it is answered in the next line of the article...

It's not so much the evidence that mainstream scientists have a problem with, it's the over-reaching interpretations offered by UFOlogy that send the subject off the rails.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#9    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,873 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Again, with the japan airlines Fl. 1628 case, there was only witness testemony from the pilot, no radar trace, and no sighting from a military jet called to investigate
the pilot even attempted to take a photograph, but was 'unsuccessful'.-
http://en.m.wikipedi...t_1628_incident
still nothing to get a scientist calling a press conference for i'm afraid.....

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#10    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,873 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 22 July 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

It's not so much the evidence that mainstream scientists have a problem with, it's the over-reaching interpretations offered by UFOlogy that send the subject off the rails.
the fringeists habit of declaring everything "must be aliens" as opposed to just "UFO=Unidentified" S2F....?

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#11    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,958 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postshrooma, on 22 July 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

the fringeists habit of declaring everything "must be aliens" as opposed to just "UFO=Unidentified" S2F....?

Not just that UFO=Unidentified but the proclamation about 'intelligent control' and 'craft' which imply things that the evidence just doesn't adequately support. Dr. Davis is, I think, making the all too often seen error of working backwards from the conclusion instead of relying on the evidence to lead to the conclusion after any research or investigation.

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#12    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,958 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Postshrooma, on 22 July 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Again, with the japan airlines Fl. 1628 case, there was only witness testemony from the pilot, no radar trace, and no sighting from a military jet called to investigate
the pilot even attempted to take a photograph, but was 'unsuccessful'.-
http://en.m.wikipedi...t_1628_incident
still nothing to get a scientist calling a press conference for i'm afraid.....

One of the more intriguing cases that I've seen is the 1976 Tehran UFO incident which is one of the cases Lilly referred to. There isn't enough data to conclude that it was ET but it certainly is a head scratcher. :tu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Tehran_UFO_incident

#13    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,815 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm not saying any of the well supported cases I mentioned were ET...just that there appears to be evidence indicating there was something out of the ordinary flying around. UFO = Unidentified Flying Object, not Alien Space Craft.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#14    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,873 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 22 July 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

One of the more intriguing cases that I've seen is the 1976 Tehran UFO incident which is one of the cases Lilly referred to. There isn't enough data to conclude that it was ET but it certainly is a head scratcher. :tu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Tehran_UFO_incident
very interesting indeed S2F!
it would also be interesting to learn if the Civil Aviation Authority's security division have released the photo taken of the object in the 2nd reported case yet....?

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,873 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostLilly, on 22 July 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I'm not saying any of the well supported cases I mentioned were ET...just that there appears to be evidence indicating there was something out of the ordinary flying around. UFO = Unidentified Flying Object, not Alien Space Craft.
i'm not sure the first two cases you mentioned had anything i would call ' well supported' Lilly, but the third one you mentioned, the Tehran case was definitely unusual!
probably the best case i've heard of so far, thank you.....
:-)

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users