Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

UM discipline, how does it work?


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 8,314 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I'd rather laugh than argue.

    Choose your weapon.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

I understand a 'banning' where you're outright 'down the road' for an egregious statement made towards another member.

A few months ago I got into a verbal tussle and received an 'official' warning afterwards from a moderator. Since then I have apologized, in my fashion, to the offended party. :)

Tonight, I just heard about a 'formal' warning that get's you a time out.

My questions;

How does the disciplinary system work? Do two 'official' warnings (or three) garner you a 'formal' warning and you're given a time out?

Is there a 'warning scale'?

Does the level of offence alone determine the punishment? Or is the result just a combination of factors (past behaviour, current behaviour, etc.)?

Do one or more moderators decide or does the administrator alone decide?

/i'm just curious :)


#2    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

    ☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

  • 15,149 posts
  • Joined:11 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:I forgot...

  • ☆彡

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

Many factors go into deciding how and what formal disciplinary action is taken. Each is looked at as a case by case basis including any history leading up to the event.

Edit to add: The moderating team has frequent discussions on all issues affecting the forums

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 23 July 2013 - 01:17 AM.

"You cannot pass," he said. … "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

#3    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 8,314 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I'd rather laugh than argue.

    Choose your weapon.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

Thank you so much for the prompt response. :)

So, there is no 'warning scale' then?


#4    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 17,783 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

*
POPULAR

During my "time out" a while back I looked around for other forums and places to have discussions and it was real eye opener.  The quality of most wasn't remotely as good and the biggest complaint I had was that there was NO discipline.  Foul language and running arguments, etc.  It made me appreciate UM far more, to be honest....

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 7,570 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

A good forum/site has to have a really good chemistry between the posters and staff... That starts (IMO) with set, well established 'discipline'... By that I mean every poster must know what the limits are that they
can not cross... Fortunately for me I've yet to cross that line :) ... If I ever do I will take my "time out" with as much good grace as possible - then return...

I've seen several sites that 'everyone said' were great and 'free'... One afternoon on most of them and I was driven away by the constant personal attacks, profanity and gleeful obscenity that a few chose to
post - thereby driving away many good posters and eventually killing the site..

I've also seen truly great sites that, I've been on for years, suddenly change because the site owners see a chance to upgrade with another carrier/service and it destroys the site as well..  One site in particular
I was a member of had thousands of active members - a big happy family - then the admin made a few changes for the sake of profit  (nothing really wrong with that) to the site, made disparaging remarks about
posters who were not paid members of the "Premium" forum (called them "Garbage Posters") and now it's a virtual ghost town...

UM is - by far - the best site on the internet (IMO)... Mods/admin - please.... PLEASE - do not change...


#6    Beany

Beany

    Government Agent

  • 3,789 posts
  • Joined:26 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:California

  • If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

The moderators do a great job, under what sometimes must be difficult circumstances.


#7    F3SS

F3SS

    FoT

  • Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh

  • Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 23 July 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Many factors go into deciding how and what formal disciplinary action is taken. Each is looked at as a case by case basis including any history leading up to the event.

Edit to add: The moderating team has frequent discussions on all issues affecting the forums

So who gets brought up the most?

Edited by F3SS, 23 July 2013 - 02:50 AM.


#8    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 7,570 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostF3SS, on 23 July 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

So who gets brought up the most?

Probably you now... :D


#9    F3SS

F3SS

    FoT

  • Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh

  • Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostTaun, on 23 July 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:



Probably you now... :D

I don't know about that but as soon as she reads that question no doubt there is somebody that will come to her mind.


#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

One thing I have noticed about UM is that there doesn't seem to be a formalized set of rule.  Of course there are rules -- there is even a tab for them -- but what I mean is they aren't really rules.  They are more on the order of guidelines.  (In fact, I would suggest, in order to differentiate your site a little, that you call them "guidelines."

Also, the whole thing does not seem to be bureaucratized.  By that I mean you don't seem to have (or at least I haven't noticed) a "thirty days suspension for this, ninety days for that, etc., sort-of setup.  I dare say if I ever got such a suspension I would leave forever, and I think most people would, so what would such an arrangement achieve?  Yet so many seem to have such pompous and arrogant arrangements.

Since this topic is now up, may I suggest a few more things.  First, the obscenity list you seem to use is excessive.  There is a difference between an offensive obscenity and an obscenity used as part of colorful and expressive language -- mainly that the former is insulting and the latter has little to do with the person being addressed and more to do with some form of irony.  Now of course what I am asking for is way more than some automated obscenity checker could be expected to handle, so maybe what I want is a second opinion -- by a human being -- before those little stars are substituted.  (On second thought I like those little stars -- asterisks -- they are sometimes even more effective at what I'm after than the original bad word).

I would very much like to see you expand your scope.  You are now "officially" limited to "Unexplained Mysteries," and that causes me trouble when I tell people the forums I participate on -- eyebrows go up.  I don't think you can do much to limit the scope of what people are going to talk about anyway, but that's a different issue.  How about something like, "The Unexplained."  (The word "mystery" has in this context such an unfortunate connotation and will at once turn away many interested in these things but who have a rational approach).

But mainly I would love to see a larger scope -- more about English for one thing.  Also more about travel, food, pets, personal health (a touchy subject that would require special monitoring and appropriate warnings) and surely some sort of personal money and some sort of investment section.

Oh, well, I like it the way it is too.


#11    F3SS

F3SS

    FoT

  • Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh

  • Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

Keep up with the outrageous demands Frank. You're going to find just what this thread is about.
You'd be back though. I've been given vacation time and I came back. They all come back.


#12    shrooma

shrooma

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 3,985 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostF3SS, on 23 July 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:


You'd be back though. I've been given vacation time and I came back. They all come back.
.
you forgot the maniacal laughter on the end of that post Fess!
:-)

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
.
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#13    F3SS

F3SS

    FoT

  • Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh

  • Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:23 AM

MWAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!


#14    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

    A complete moral vacuum

  • Member
  • 30,157 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Garmisch-Partenkirchen

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 July 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

One thing I have noticed about UM is that there doesn't seem to be a formalized set of rule.  Of course there are rules -- there is even a tab for them -- but what I mean is they aren't really rules.  They are more on the order of guidelines.  (In fact, I would suggest, in order to differentiate your site a little, that you call them "guidelines."

Also, the whole thing does not seem to be bureaucratized.  By that I mean you don't seem to have (or at least I haven't noticed) a "thirty days suspension for this, ninety days for that, etc., sort-of setup.  I dare say if I ever got such a suspension I would leave forever, and I think most people would, so what would such an arrangement achieve?  Yet so many seem to have such pompous and arrogant arrangements.

Since this topic is now up, may I suggest a few more things.  First, the obscenity list you seem to use is excessive.  There is a difference between an offensive obscenity and an obscenity used as part of colorful and expressive language -- mainly that the former is insulting and the latter has little to do with the person being addressed and more to do with some form of irony.  Now of course what I am asking for is way more than some automated obscenity checker could be expected to handle, so maybe what I want is a second opinion -- by a human being -- before those little stars are substituted.  (On second thought I like those little stars -- asterisks -- they are sometimes even more effective at what I'm after than the original bad word).

I would very much like to see you expand your scope.  You are now "officially" limited to "Unexplained Mysteries," and that causes me trouble when I tell people the forums I participate on -- eyebrows go up.  I don't think you can do much to limit the scope of what people are going to talk about anyway, but that's a different issue.  How about something like, "The Unexplained."  (The word "mystery" has in this context such an unfortunate connotation and will at once turn away many interested in these things but who have a rational approach).

But mainly I would love to see a larger scope -- more about English for one thing.  Also more about travel, food, pets, personal health (a touchy subject that would require special monitoring and appropriate warnings) and surely some sort of personal money and some sort of investment section.

Oh, well, I like it the way it is too.

I agree with a lot of those points. I think maybe "Unexplained Mysteries" doesn't really give a full idea of the wide range of subejcts covered, and does perhaps give an impression that it's one of those lunatci fringe conspiracy sites. (Not that there isn't plenty of discussion about that here, obviously, but the crucial thing is that its aim isn't to promote those theories, but to allow them to be discussed, and even treated with withering scorn.)

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.


#15    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

    The Entertainer

  • Member
  • 2,784 posts
  • Joined:19 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Imaginaerum

  • ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

View Postand then, on 23 July 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

During my "time out" a while back I looked around for other forums and places to have discussions and it was real eye opener.  The quality of most wasn't remotely as good and the biggest complaint I had was that there was NO discipline.  Foul language and running arguments, etc.  It made me appreciate UM far more, to be honest....


For your sake I hope you didn't plunge into 4chan... lost a lot of good men there. I send their parents cards every year (sniffle).

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users