Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why oh why do some Christians?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

I was talking with a long time aquantence today at Starbucks. We have known each other in the capacity of always haveing visited the same coffe shops over the years and basically use them as our offices. He is a good guy, but we were talking about religion today and it came out that I do not believe that the Christian resurrection occurred "in the flesh" as many Christians claim. He was utterly shocked. He simply could not get over it. I tried to explain to him that its not a choice to believe or not. I simply can't for obvious reasons.

How can an otherwise intelligent modern man be so shocked that I cannot beleive in mythology from half a world away? He is not the only one. The funnything is that I have some pretty amazing claims myself, so it's not that I don't believe in spirituality. It irritates me to no end that I am viewed differently and negatively simply because I cannot be Christian.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,151 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Well, I suppose it's because the Resurrection is such an importnat part of Christian theology, it's the clincher for Jesus' claim (or the claims made about him) to be the son of God, I suppose. Of course, thee are all sorts of metaphorical interpretations that you could put on it, but I suppose it is understandable that people would get defensive about it.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Two thousand years of propoganda will not be overturned so easily. When more people think rationally about "resurection", and not simply accept what they have been told, then this belief will eventually fade away, even if it is the core of Christianity. I view this rather as Zhou Enlai, when asked some years back about the effects of the French Revolution, said that it was too soon to say. It could be said that the concurent events of the Enlightenment are still at work and we probably will not see the eventual result in our, or maybe even in our grandchildren's lifetimes. I believe that in the case of the overturn of Christiantiy, time is on our side, we must simply be patient, but not complacent. It took the Christians more than 300 years to gain power, and I think it will not take much less time to reverse this. Though dating from the enlightenment, maybe that time is not so far in the future.

And to be clear to those who do not like what I say, I talk about the power, direct or indirect, held by Christianity, I have no complaint about what individuals believe, or not believe.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri, 23 July 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,577 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Because... you live in the USA.

#5    Truthseeker007

Truthseeker007

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 23 July 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

I was talking with a long time aquantence today at Starbucks. We have known each other in the capacity of always haveing visited the same coffe shops over the years and basically use them as our offices. He is a good guy, but we were talking about religion today and it came out that I do not believe that the Christian resurrection occurred "in the flesh" as many Christians claim. He was utterly shocked. He simply could not get over it. I tried to explain to him that its not a choice to believe or not. I simply can't for obvious reasons.

How can an otherwise intelligent modern man be so shocked that I cannot beleive in mythology from half a world away? He is not the only one. The funnything is that I have some pretty amazing claims myself, so it's not that I don't believe in spirituality. It irritates me to no end that I am viewed differently and negatively simply because I cannot be Christian.

Well because religion is a form of mind control. You went outside of his program and he didn't know how to react.
You were like a gliche in his software. Don't feel bad about not being a Christian. Be glad you are not under
mind control and you ask questions and look for the truth. These people just stick to the same dogma without asking questions.
They just follow along with the religion program.I just think of them as outdated computers that can't open up new programs.
They are infected with the religion virus.

Spiral Symbolism:
Evolution and holistic growth:Letting go, surrender, release
Awareness of the one within the context of the whole
Connectivity and union with deific and cosmic energies

"Connectivity to the Divine" observation

#6    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

I think it's just a prime example of taking the bible and all that literally without questioning. I mean, I dont know whether you should take it literally or not, but I know you can find some good stuff there through metaphoras and such, outside the literal interpretations. I think a lot of people, no matter whether you're religious or not, aren't that comfortable in having their faith on something they thought out themselves or really accepted themselves, rather than on something which someone gave to them. Pack animals when it comes to religion and such. That why they also take a step back if you're not a part of their pack and treat you differently.

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#7    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I haven't experienced what you have experienced, so I'm going to hypothesise that in an area dominated by one belief only it can become expected that everyone you meet holds identical beliefs, and it gets to the point that to believe differently is shocking and unfathomable.  Putting it this way, if you were in a society that taught you that the universe was sneezed out from the nostrils of the Great Green Arkleseizure, then what would happen if for the very first time you meet someone that doesn't believe in the coming of the Great White Hanky?  You'd be shocked, it would be unthinkable.  The coming of the hanky is a known fact, everyone knows it.  Except you.  We don't get you, we don't understand you.

All I can say is that as our societies become more multicultural, and we're confronted with those who are different than we, it becomes easier to accept that not everyone is like us.  We are all individuals, and have to work it out for ourselves.  We become used to the idea that our views are not the only ones out there, and are more accepting of those who are different.

Don't worry, it will happen where you are too, maybe not overnight, but it will happen.

~ Regards,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,346 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Being an out spoken Pagan can get me a lot of shocked looks and has cost me a few friends.  I don't really care, If you can't deal with my religion then you might as will move on, I am not going to change.  If they push me then I can turn it round and point out the flaws in their thinking. That usually ends the conversation.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#9    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Lost Ghost

• 1,330 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm not sure...
all I know there is some Monk recently who died for 3 days
and came back...
could this be the new jesus??

Jesus Monk...
the cool thing about Monks.. they actually have powers..
they can float... move objects with their mind...
and break bricks with bare fists....
just amazing...

Edited by LostSouls7, 23 July 2013 - 06:32 PM.

Scary story about being scratched at 5 AM. Real demon attack story!
https://www.youtube....h?v=_Kzw8RRFsMQ

My collection of true and fiction ghost and ouija stories, horror movie reviews etc.
http://ouijaghosts.blogspot.com/

#10    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostLostSouls7, on 23 July 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I'm not sure...
all I know there is some Monk recently who died for 3 days
and came back...
could this be the new jesus??

Jesus Monk...
the cool thing about Monks.. they actually have powers..
they can float... move objects with their mind...
and break bricks with bare fists....
just amazing...
I think you're about Shaolin monks, not Christian monks

#11    desert palm tree

desert palm tree

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Christianity is in old ages, old ages or dead corpse because lost its purpose and mission. There are no one I think pious wise priests to change or mold new directions as they did for many thousand years. From Phallus worship to female, male and female, then male dominant Judaism, Christianity, Muslim but veiled female gods presence in them.
   http://www.authorama...ancients-1.html
    old testaments replaced by new. . .

#12    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 23 July 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Maybe he was more shocked that he's friends with someone who's so into himself that he starts a thread about his beliefs online......

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 23 July 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Because... you live in the USA.

And the largest religion on the planet is headquartered where exactly?  Oh yeah, Europe.

And not only do they believe in the resurrection, but on a daily basis they believe they can turn a cracker and some wine into blood and flesh.

Edited by Rafterman, 24 July 2013 - 01:40 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#14    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAntilles, on 24 July 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Maybe he was more shocked that he's friends with someone who's so into himself that he starts a thread about his beliefs online......
That would be it there genius ;)

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#15    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 23 July 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

All I can say is that as our societies become more multicultural, and we're confronted with those who are different than we, it becomes easier to accept that not everyone is like us.  We are all individuals, and have to work it out for ourselves.  We become used to the idea that our views are not the only ones out there, and are more accepting of those who are different.

The "multicultural" pipe dream is one of the most dangerous delusions of current Western political correctness.
What is actually happening is that our societies are not getting "multicultural", but gradually bow to pressure from one particular supremacist religion.
At the end of the road is a profoundly monocultural society, where you would have to fear for your life if you actually stepped outside the narrow boundaries alotted to dhimmis.

But keep dreaming.

Edited by Zaphod222, 24 July 2013 - 02:28 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users