Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Are dogs able to see in color ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,331 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postalibongo, on 24 July 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

But that does not explain why she also likes sweet'n'sour chicken, which is also beige, apart from the red peppers. Sweet'n'sour does not smell like curry or bbq.It must be the red colouration that attracts her.

C'mon man. Your dog prefers meat over biscuits or vegetables. It isn't the color and as far as dogs go you have no idea what smells like what to them. They can smell all the ingredients in any food and they can smell them better and separately.

Edited by F3SS, 24 July 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Posted Image

#17    Hobbit Feet

Hobbit Feet

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• Drop me off at Willoughby and take me to Aunt T's!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 23 July 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Our color vision comes from the cones in the eyes.  We have a cone to detect Red light, one for Green light and one for Blue light.  There is a minimum number of these cones required to have "normal" color vision.  Even so, no two people see color the same way.  I have a presentation I use in our "Color Schools" where I work.  I'll try to upload a pdf copy of it as the Powerpoint version is huge.

I was told "cones" are for day vision and "rods" are for night visions.

#18    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,152 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostHobbit Feet, on 24 July 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I was told "cones" are for day vision and "rods" are for night visions.

You don't have colored vision at night, unless you in a lighted area, then you don't have nightvision.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#19    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,035 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

While humans have three types of photoreceptors in their eyes that transmit signals about color to the brain, dogs have two types of photoreceptors. We know that these photoreceptors work to transmit information allowing dogs to perceive differences in color because dogs have told us so. Well, sort of.

Posted Image

How Have Dogs Told Us That They Perceive Color?

To determine whether dogs can see color, researchers taught dogs to pick the odd-colored circle out of a choice of three circles. So if they showed colors that the dogs could not distinguish, they would fail at the task, but if they chose colors that the dogs could tell apart, the dogs would perform consistently well. Of course. the researchers did also consider that the hue or brightness might be a distinguishing cue, so they systematically tried patches of different brightness too.
Dr. Gerold Jacobs, Professor of Psychology at the University of Santa Barbara, who lead much of this color vision research in dogs, is careful to point out that while we cannot determine exactly what the dog perceives the color to be, we think what we see as red, orange, yellow or green appears as different saturations of yellow to a dog, while blue-green, blue and violet appear as different saturations of bluish gray.

Posted Image

What Colors Do Dogs Distinguish Best?

Back to the dilemma of the tennis ball in the tall grass. Yes, if the balls were two-tone blue and yellow, Jonesy might be able to find them a little better. Overall, if we want dogs to distinguish between colors, the best colors to use are blue and yellow. On the other hand, maybe if the ball was just blue or violet or bigger, that would be good enough. I’m too lazy to actually test it out. I’ll just bring extra tennis balls.

Posted Image

Source :  http://drsophiayin.c...-how-do-we-know

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#20    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostSakari, on 24 July 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

While humans have three types of photoreceptors in their eyes that transmit signals about color to the brain, dogs have two types of photoreceptors. We know that these photoreceptors work to transmit information allowing dogs to perceive differences in color because dogs have told us so. Well, sort of.

Posted Image

How Have Dogs Told Us That They Perceive Color?

To determine whether dogs can see color, researchers taught dogs to pick the odd-colored circle out of a choice of three circles. So if they showed colors that the dogs could not distinguish, they would fail at the task, but if they chose colors that the dogs could tell apart, the dogs would perform consistently well. Of course. the researchers did also consider that the hue or brightness might be a distinguishing cue, so they systematically tried patches of different brightness too.
Dr. Gerold Jacobs, Professor of Psychology at the University of Santa Barbara, who lead much of this color vision research in dogs, is careful to point out that while we cannot determine exactly what the dog perceives the color to be, we think what we see as red, orange, yellow or green appears as different saturations of yellow to a dog, while blue-green, blue and violet appear as different saturations of bluish gray.

Posted Image

What Colors Do Dogs Distinguish Best?

Back to the dilemma of the tennis ball in the tall grass. Yes, if the balls were two-tone blue and yellow, Jonesy might be able to find them a little better. Overall, if we want dogs to distinguish between colors, the best colors to use are blue and yellow. On the other hand, maybe if the ball was just blue or violet or bigger, that would be good enough. I’m too lazy to actually test it out. I’ll just bring extra tennis balls.

Posted Image

Source :  http://drsophiayin.c...-how-do-we-know

Thanks for the examples :)

I believe most dogs probably see things that way compared to us the same way birds see colors of ultraviolet light that very few people are able to see. I think some dogs do see more colors vividly but are rare. It's all genetics and usage and there are always some anonomalies in every species whether it's human or dog etc. As for a dog never seeing color like it was portrayed in the past, I never did believe that since I had one dog who obviously knew colors that would be impossible for a color blind animal, all the other  dogs I ever had were never as perceptive as him though.

#21    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostF3SS, on 24 July 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

C'mon man. Your dog prefers meat over biscuits or vegetables. It isn't the color and as far as dogs go you have no idea what smells like what to them. They can smell all the ingredients in any food and they can smell them better and separately.
Okay, explain this. I found an uneaten doner kebab in the back of my car, in a beige pitta bread (inside the plastic carton).My dog went mad for it, even though the plastic carton was beige as well! Do dogs see colours we cannot?

#22    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,152 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

Smell.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#23    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

View Postdanielost, on 26 July 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

Smell.
But we are not talking about smell, we are talking about sight.Do'h. Does nobody understand the OP?

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,152 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

Your question was how your dog could tell where the bowl was on a seat the same color as the bowl.  The answer is your dog could smell the food in the bowl.

#25    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

View Postalibongo, on 24 July 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

But that does not explain why she also likes sweet'n'sour chicken, which is also beige, apart from the red peppers. Sweet'n'sour does not smell like curry or bbq.It must be the red colouration that attracts her.

Oh course she likes sween'n'sour chicken. It smells, tastes and looks an awful lot better than biscuits - would you not as well?. Colour has nothing to do with it. Even if your dog was blind she would still make the same choice. Use your common sense!

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#26    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostTechnocrat, on 26 July 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Oh course she likes sween'n'sour chicken. It smells, tastes and looks an awful lot better than biscuits - would you not as well?. Colour has nothing to do with it. Even if your dog was blind she would still make the same choice. Use your common sense!
Oh yes. I was not taking into account her sense of smell. Her usual diet of biscuits, although healthy, probably is bland, and the human diet she prefers, as well as being more colourful, contains fats and salts and spices and sugars which she probably finds as enticing as we do. So although it is not healthy, she probably thinks it is, or is at least more interesting than her regular diet. I have probably been taken in by the dog food ads, which claim dogs "love" their products.They don't really, they "love" the same sort of crap we love- which is probably the least healthy food.

#27    deslin

deslin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Dogs are also secretive.  I just asked mine if she sees in color...she neither confirmed or denied it.

#28    gOOgLer

gOOgLer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Somethings nature gives more, somethings less to different species.
Different life species have differently focused (different) senses :-)

#29    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostgOOgLer, on 31 July 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Somethings nature gives more, somethings less to different species.
Different life species have differently focused (different) senses :-)

What? :unsure:

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users