Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Peculiar Sighting in the Mountains

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    fairweatherrider

fairweatherrider

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Well, yesterday my in-laws came over for a short visit and they ended up telling my wife and I about something very odd they saw in the mountain forest near Powell, Wyoming, where they had taken a short trip. They scarcely knew how to describe it, but the picture that he sent today is here for all to see. He is a "photo nut", taking nature pictures by the hundreds when he is not working. He uses very high end cameras, helping to explain the clear image he sent us. I would not know where to begin in ascribing a name to this phenomenon. For the record, he said that after a short time, it was gone. Any ideas?

Attached Files

#2    Jennifer_P

Jennifer_P

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Reminds me of a spider web. But you said it dissapeared`? That's odd.

Edited by Jennifer_P, 23 July 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#3    julia52

julia52

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

very cool pic(please tell me it's real)

if so, to investigate it further, you should ask your uncle how he felt when he saw it; amazement, fear..etc.  obviously some sort of apparation, but from where?  looks like the smoky 'light' was illuminating some sort of creature inside(or maybe that's just me seeing it?)

sometimes, people have talked about seeing this white, smoky like illuminated light, many times in the more remote areas..concepts of portals have been thrown around..you know, it doesn't feel 'bad' to me, whatever it was..maybe he(or you)should go back and look at that area again?  reminds me of a odd 'mist' that has been recently reported in northern idaho..

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postjulia52, on 23 July 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

obviously some sort of apparation,

There's no way you can say that.

To fairweather, can you post the original photograph please.  This one looks like it was pretty severely cropped and enlarged.

Thanks.

Edited by Rafterman, 23 July 2013 - 02:34 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    Jello

Jello

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Reminds me of a water sprinkler my family used to have in our yard.

Links rechts gradeaus du bist im Labyrinth

#6    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

Could this be the winged dragon lizard we have heard so much about?

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#7    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,579 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

What about a dragonfly? Wings in motion?

#8    zrina11

zrina11

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Light travels faster then sound. That's why some people appear brighter before they speak.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

It does look like there is a human face inside. Interesting.

Posted Image

#9    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostMacsMom, on 24 July 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Could this be the winged dragon lizard we have heard so much about?
oh please don't start that again...

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postzrina11, on 24 July 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

It does look like there is a human face inside. Interesting.

It does look like it, doesn't it.  But I think what we're seeing is simply the end of a branch.  If you look below, you can vaguely see the limb coming from the trunk of the tree.

Unfortunately since Fairweather seems to average about 1 post every 14 months, I'm not sure we'll ever know for sure.

Edited by Rafterman, 24 July 2013 - 01:19 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#11    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 24 July 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

oh please don't start that again...

It's just a matter of time...... :whistle:

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I just PM'd Fair Weather and asked him/her to come back and address some of the questions raised in this thread.

#13    fairweatherrider

fairweatherrider

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hello All, the is Fairweather, back to respond:

1. My brother in law is a shrink. He is a "super straight arrow". My wife and I joke about what a square he is; the point being that one thing this is not is a hoax. Period. that leaves either some innocuous natural phenomenon like a spider web, which was my initial reaction (I don't think now that's what it is), or something more strange. His goal in this photo was to capture the field of "Indian Paintbrush" flowers.
2. The photo is cropped for the sake of seeing the image more clearly. Pulling back, all you see is a wider view of the forest.
3. Someone noted that I don't post much, considering this a problem of some kind. Fact is that I don't have much in the way of oddities to report. I do read from this site, but seldom feel compelled to comment. That's just me. I live in a super remote area, which describes much of Wyoming. I would love to have a fascinating personal account to pass along, it has just not happened.
4. My brother in law travels around a lot, taking photos, which is his hobby. This inclines him to see more things that are unusual. He has told me three stories that defy explanation. One is this thread, one involved a fox that had an odd, human-like face and one involves a strange structure that a friend of his saw in the desert south of Green Mtn, here in Wyoming (I did throw this last one unto this site). You travel around like he and his wife do, it increases the odds that you might see something.
5. I notice that many of the threads herein contain replies from critics and skeptics. That's natural, I suppose. I'm sure some of this stuff is hoax material. I will close by reiterating that this pic is not a hoax. Beyond that, it is up to each of us to offer theories. In the end, none of us will be sure.

Attached Files

#14    fairweatherrider

fairweatherrider

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

PS: I will discuss this once more with my brother in law, specifically concerning how he felt when they saw this.

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for coming back and posting the uncropped image.

My personal opinion, it's just a lens flare or some such light anomaly.  If you notice in the original photograph, there is another lens flare to the upper left of the primary one.  Could also be a spider web that was closer to the lens.  I was also thinking that it could be one of those web-like caterpillar nests.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users