Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Grandma on Feeding Tube Symbolizes Japan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,706 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Bloomberg said:

A quarter of a million bedbound elderly people are kept alive in Japan, often for years, by a feeding tube surgically inserted into their stomach. A few months ago, my 96-year-old grandmother became one of them.

Feeding tubes are so common in Japan that my family wasn’t initially consulted about the procedure, which is effectively irreversible. When my mother walked into Grandma’s room the next morning and saw a tube, she dropped to her knees by the bedside and stayed there for hours, crying.

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to do this to you,” my mom repeated over and over.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

So it's easier to just keep folks alive when they shouldn't than to have "uncomfortable" conversations about aging and death?

Gotta love the Japanese.

Unfortunately, the economic realities of today's world and Japan's demographics will probably bring an end to this practice.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#3    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,998 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Along with possible improved nutrition,  I'd guess it's sometimes done for the convenience of the care givers ?   It takes a lot of time and effort to feed very old people.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#4    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,998 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

.. and by the way,  never stand on the tube while visiting.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#5    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

It sometimes shocks me when I talk to some people I know who would still rather be alive even if they are some vegetable.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,706 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 26 July 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

It sometimes shocks me when I talk to some people I know who would still rather be alive even if they are some vegetable.

That is because most people prefer the unknown evil to the good not yet known.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Social standards evolve.

"m********ion: the primary sexual activity of mankind. In the nineteenth century, it was a disease; in the twentieth, it's a cure."   Thomas Szasz    
Terry Schiavo an obvious example.

In context of Terry Schiavo U.S. President Bush (the younger) said:
"In extraordinary circumstances like this, it wise to always err on the side of life."

George Will
"This is the most litigated right to die case in American history; more than ten years."   
Two ostensible "conservatives' with opposite opinions.

Sadly, the "living will" may be an individual's best legal protection against the humiliation of geriatric infantalism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users