Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Trouble w/the "BigFeet"?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Sadly, you make valid point.

However, I like a challenge. And what greater challenge than bring home hard and conclusive proof such creature truly exists?

Oh, and edit add, we still have rockets that blow up on the pad or long before they make it to space. So, even that isn't what you'd call an "exact science".

Edited by keninsc, 25 July 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#32    Timmeh

Timmeh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 25 July 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

That's why Ill probably never go looking for the yaway not sure how to spell that.
I think the word you are looking for is Yowie :)

#33    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Yes, that's it. Thank you.

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,286 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

I think if shooting a guy in bigfoot outfit would land you in prison or not, would depend on the situation, like Ken said. If the guy is walkind down a sidewalk in your local downtown, then clearly that is a crime and you're going to go to prison. But, if the guy wearing the suit is a half hour up a log road and scaring random hikers, then I see any charges being dismissed as most likely.

It is like if you "pretend" to rob a gas station with a rubber gun... "for fun", you might just as well expect to be killed by the clerk.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,362 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 29 July 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

I think if shooting a guy in bigfoot outfit would land you in prison or not, would depend on the situation, like Ken said. If the guy is walkind down a sidewalk in your local downtown, then clearly that is a crime and you're going to go to prison. But, if the guy wearing the suit is a half hour up a log road and scaring random hikers, then I see any charges being dismissed as most likely.

It is like if you "pretend" to rob a gas station with a rubber gun... "for fun", you might just as well expect to be killed by the clerk.

I am going to disagree with that.

If a person were up a public road ( I know you said log road, but hikers are there ) and put on a guerilla suit, and scared hikers, that would not give them the right to shoot and kill him or her.

Now, if you are talking someone hiding behind a tree and jumping out in peoples faces hooting and hollering, then sure, that may be fine to shoot and kill. It would also depend on the laws in that State for carrying weapons. In Nevada, while bowhunting, no guns of any kind can be on your person. Same with hiking, unless you have a concealed weapons permit.

Now, if a person is not close to hikers, and is trying to fool them, or even scare them, they can not just shoot at them. If it were hunting season, and the hiker had the proper permits, they could get away with mis identification. But, you can not just shoot things across a meadow, or in the trees, just because it scared you.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#36    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

I am not saying there can't ever exist a perfect self-defense situation between an armed person and another one in suit.

But, other than a perfect scenario, Idk? I still see charges being filed for shooting a guy scaring people. In fact, I hope there would be!

For me, I wouldn't want to risk financial losses (civil suit), loose the right to own a firearm,  a criminal record, etc  let alone have to  live with having shot someone...

I don't know of any hoaxers who have physically attacked someone and I could not shoot at one for less than a physical attack. And hearing a gun shot or two would scare off  most any hoaxer without having to injure or kill anyone.

I would assume most hoaxers  would not charge someone with a gun.

(A human attack would differ from a beast attack, I would think, but that is yet another issue to weigh-in in deciding to kill your attacker)

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#37    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,286 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostSakari, on 29 July 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

I am going to disagree with that.

If a person were up a public road ( I know you said log road, but hikers are there ) and put on a guerilla suit, and scared hikers, that would not give them the right to shoot and kill him or her.

Now, if you are talking someone hiding behind a tree and jumping out in peoples faces hooting and hollering, then sure, that may be fine to shoot and kill. It would also depend on the laws in that State for carrying weapons. In Nevada, while bowhunting, no guns of any kind can be on your person. Same with hiking, unless you have a concealed weapons permit.

Now, if a person is not close to hikers, and is trying to fool them, or even scare them, they can not just shoot at them. If it were hunting season, and the hiker had the proper permits, they could get away with mis identification. But, you can not just shoot things across a meadow, or in the trees, just because it scared you.

I didn't actually say that people had a "right" to shoot bigfoot, or a guy in a suit. I said that it would be very likely that such charges would be dismissed, depending on the situation.

Unless the suit is so bad, that it there is no doubt it is fake, I think that there's a very good chance of walking away from such a shooting.

Perhaps a guy wearing a suit would think better of trying to scare people if he dodged a bullet or two. After all if he is beyond 50 yards, it is likely he's not going to be hit by a regular pistol. And anyone with a rifle is likely hunting and has a scope and could hopefully identify a suit.

Edited by DieChecker, 29 July 2013 - 05:11 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#38    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,392 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Is it legal to hunt anything, even if it doesn't have a season?   If there were a zebra, polar bear or kangaroo walking about in the woods, could you legally shoot it?  
Most hunters know that they need a tag in order to shoot most larger animals.   Or it needs to be in season.  
I understand a person could always claim misidentification, but wouldn't they still hold some liability?

#39    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,362 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostMyles, on 29 July 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Is it legal to hunt anything, even if it doesn't have a season?   If there were a zebra, polar bear or kangaroo walking about in the woods, could you legally shoot it?  
Most hunters know that they need a tag in order to shoot most larger animals.   Or it needs to be in season.  
I understand a person could always claim misidentification, but wouldn't they still hold some liability?

You can not just go out and shoot things. Yes,it is illegal to " hunt " anything. That is called poaching, even if it does not have a season. Bald Eagles do not have a season.

Now, in some States you can shoot Crows year round, no tags needed, and no bag limit. Others, bag limits, others, not at all.

Any large Mammal as you describe, something from another Continent walking in the woods, I do not know about that. But, that would be a moral thing for sure. No hunter I know would pull the trigger, they would figure it is escaped from the Zoo and call State Fish and Game.

Misidentification can be used to shoot people, it is a easy way to get rid of someone. Hence the joke " want to go hunting some time " ( if you heard it )....But to do that, you better have the proper tag for whatever you are hunting.

Now, anything living in the US has a law attached to it. So, you can not just go out and shoot animals. Even feril Pigs. When animals like this need to be " downsized " or are hurting farmers crops ( Elk, Deer, Bear, etc. ) as long as the populations are healthy, a " deprevation hunt " takes place. You would need to apply for tags on this, and only so many would be given out. And hunting seasons are in place also. For these it could be a week, or just 2 days.

I would like to add, a friend of mines Dad is ( was ) a hunting guide i Alaska. They went out hunting Moose. A grizzly bear came into camp, charged Bill, and the Bear was shot. Now, they would have been in trouble if a person in the party had not had a bear tag, even thought they shot it to protect Bill. The guys was not hunting bear for another 2 weeks. He had to fill that tag.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#40    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostSakari, on 29 July 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

You can not just go out and shoot things. Yes,it is illegal to " hunt " anything. That is called poaching, even if it does not have a season. Bald Eagles do not have a season.

Now, in some States you can shoot Crows year round, no tags needed, and no bag limit. Others, bag limits, others, not at all.

Any large Mammal as you describe, something from another Continent walking in the woods, I do not know about that. But, that would be a moral thing for sure. No hunter I know would pull the trigger, they would figure it is escaped from the Zoo and call State Fish and Game.

Misidentification can be used to shoot people, it is a easy way to get rid of someone. Hence the joke " want to go hunting some time " ( if you heard it )....But to do that, you better have the proper tag for whatever you are hunting.

Now, anything living in the US has a law attached to it. So, you can not just go out and shoot animals. Even feril Pigs. When animals like this need to be " downsized " or are hurting farmers crops ( Elk, Deer, Bear, etc. ) as long as the populations are healthy, a " deprevation hunt " takes place. You would need to apply for tags on this, and only so many would be given out. And hunting seasons are in place also. For these it could be a week, or just 2 days.

I would like to add, a friend of mines Dad is ( was ) a hunting guide i Alaska. They went out hunting Moose. A grizzly bear came into camp, charged Bill, and the Bear was shot. Now, they would have been in trouble if a person in the party had not had a bear tag, even thought they shot it to protect Bill. The guys was not hunting bear for another 2 weeks. He had to fill that tag.

Discovery had a special not too long ago about the man who shot what essentially was a mutant bear. Kind of a grizzly/polar bear hybrid. Now, the man had a polar bear tag. He thought he was shooting a polar bear. After all, he's in Alaska. The bear is white. Must be a polar bear. Unfortunately, it wasn't a polar bear, and fish and game tried to hit him with a significant fine for poaching a one-of-a-kind creature. Or that's my admittedly misty recollection of the facts.

I was surprised to find out that I can shoot deer year round in Alabama if they are a nuisance. Deer in 'bama are just big rats with antlers and will ruin a garden. Unfortunately, I cannot harvest any of the meat from such a kill or I'm poaching. Since I consider that wasteful and deplorable, I can't shoot the b******* even if they destroy 5 rows of peas in a single night.

*sigh*

#41    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostDystOpt, on 29 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Discovery had a special not too long ago about the man who shot what essentially was a mutant bear. Kind of a grizzly/polar bear hybrid. Now, the man had a polar bear tag. He thought he was shooting a polar bear. After all, he's in Alaska. The bear is white. Must be a polar bear. Unfortunately, it wasn't a polar bear, and fish and game tried to hit him with a significant fine for poaching a one-of-a-kind creature. Or that's my admittedly misty recollection of the facts.

I was surprised to find out that I can shoot deer year round in Alabama if they are a nuisance. Deer in 'bama are just big rats with antlers and will ruin a garden. Unfortunately, I cannot harvest any of the meat from such a kill or I'm poaching. Since I consider that wasteful and deplorable, I can't shoot the b******* even if they destroy 5 rows of peas in a single night.

*sigh*

The bear was indeed a grizzly/polar bear hybrid, they are called pizzly/prizzly/grolar bears and maybe a few variant names.  This type of hybridization is rare, I believe there are only three confirmed cases in the wild and maybe a handful in captivity.  I think with one of the wild cases it was determined one of the parents was a hybrid as well, a pizzly mating with a grizzly I believe.  The hunter you refer to could have been fined and jailed if it was decided the bear was a grizzly versus a polar bear.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#42    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostMyles, on 29 July 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Myles, there are posted seasons on many of the creatures you named and some are considered to be "endangered" and hunting them is punishable by law. However, while the debate is still open on their existence, they are not recognized as real and therefore not covered by any hunting laws. With the possible exception of Oregon(?), they have a law that is open to some serious interpretation and may or may not include cryptid creatures. Now your biggest problem would be walking around in say Virginia during deer hunting season and being stopped by a State Game Warden and trying to explain to him that you're not actually hunting deer but rather hunt Bigfoot.....without any hunting license of deer tags in your possession. While I'm not expert I can assure you they are not going to buy into the Bigfoot stuff. Tickets, fines and seizure of your gear, vehicles and guns and ammo are sure to follow, and yes, even jail time or the infamous "community service" thing.

#43    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostDystOpt, on 29 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

*sigh*

Dude, in Alabama you can purchase what's called a "Nuisance License" You have top be a landowner and you can't keep anything from the carcass.  Which is terribly wasteful, but you can protect your garden. I had to invest in a chainlink fence in Georgia, six foot high then had to have razor wire adde top and bottom to prevent deer and hawgs.

#44    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,392 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 29 July 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Myles, there are posted seasons on many of the creatures you named and some are considered to be "endangered" and hunting them is punishable by law. However, while the debate is still open on their existence, they are not recognized as real and therefore not covered by any hunting laws. With the possible exception of Oregon(?), they have a law that is open to some serious interpretation and may or may not include cryptid creatures. Now your biggest problem would be walking around in say Virginia during deer hunting season and being stopped by a State Game Warden and trying to explain to him that you're not actually hunting deer but rather hunt Bigfoot.....without any hunting license of deer tags in your possession. While I'm not expert I can assure you they are not going to buy into the Bigfoot stuff. Tickets, fines and seizure of your gear, vehicles and guns and ammo are sure to follow, and yes, even jail time or the infamous "community service" thing.
Good points.
I only used zebra/polar bear and kangaroo as wild examples of something you wouldn't expect to come across in the woods while in the states.   Is it legal to shoot a bigfoot if you come across it?    How about a roo?
I don't think I'd shoot anything like that without knowing first.   Unless I had planned to embellish the story and claim it attacked me.....or was going to.

#45    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 29 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Dude, in Alabama you can purchase what's called a "Nuisance License" You have top be a landowner and you can't keep anything from the carcass.  Which is terribly wasteful, but you can protect your garden. I had to invest in a chainlink fence in Georgia, six foot high then had to have razor wire adde top and bottom to prevent deer and hawgs.

Yeah, I know about the nuisance license. I'm just not going to kill anything I can't eat, and digging a hole to bury several deer carcasses doesn't appeal to me in the 98+ degree heat of July.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users