Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged]A Glowing Blue Death Wave Envelops Roundworms

nematode worm glowing blue death roundworms

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,022 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Blue fluorescence spreads through a dying nematode worm, revealing the passage of death through its body over the hour and a half prior to the organism’s complete expiration.

http://blogs.smithso...re-they-expire/

Posted Image

#2    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

facinating!

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    Science Geek

Science Geek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

This is what I am talking about. I love this kind of research; it tries to explain the mystery of life which is fascinating for me. Nice post.

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,560 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Death Happens More Slowly Than Thought

A new study reveals how death in organisms, including humans, spreads like a wave from cell to cell until the whole individual is dead.

The good news is that, in certain cases, scientists may be able to stop the biochemical process that leads to this death wave, reviving the individual.

PHOTOS: Patenting Death

It’s difficult to study such life and death matters on animals. Who would want to volunteer for a study that ended in death? So researchers instead focused their analysis on worms, which surprisingly possess mechanisms that are similar to those that are active in mammals.

The study is published in the latest issue of PLoS Biology.

A remarkable feature of worms is that, as they die, the spread of death through their bodies can easily be seen under magnification. It’s a fluorescent blue light caused by necrosis, or the cell death pathway. This, in turn, is dependent upon calcium signaling.

http://news.discover...cell-130713.htm

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

oh wow, thats amazing

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users