Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

The Hum, a Worldwide Acoustic Mystery,

the hum acoustic mystery

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,722 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

It creeps in slowly in the dark of night, and once inside, it almost never goes away.

It's known as the Hum, a steady, droning sound that's heard in places as disparate as Taos, N.M.; Bristol, England; and Largs, Scotland.

But what causes the Hum, and why it only affects a small percentage of the population in certain areas, remain a mystery, despite a number of scientific investigations.

http://www.livescien...y-taos-hum.html

Posted Image

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day. Are we any closer to knowing what causes this phenomenon?

"Don't let your dreams be dreams"

- Shia LaBeouf

#3    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• 1,612 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

The more i study the paranormal the more convinced I become that there is alot going on underneath our feet that the citizenry have no knowledge of.

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#4    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,463 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

We have a similar issue in Seattle. it's called the "West Seattle Hum" People have been hearing it for years and it's LOUD. Some believe it's coming from the concrete plant and the giant hoppers they use for mixing, but it remains unclear if that really is the source. They aren't sure it's the plant because the noise is being heard clearly by people several miles away from the plant... too far away to be realistically coming from the plant. The other problem is that the concrete plant has been there for decades doing their thing, and the Hum is random and can sometimes go away for a couple of years at a time, then return for a few weeks, then fall silent again.

Apparently the concrete plant did install silencers on their hoppers, but the noise is still being heard randomly.

There's also a theory that it could be midshipman fish which have a very strange mating call. Some scientists think it's possible the call is being amplified by the hulls of the cargo ships docked in the nearby port. I think that's fairly far fetched, but apparently they're looking into that.

http://www.kplu.org/...t-seattle-night

Edited by MissMelsWell, 28 July 2013 - 05:53 PM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,833 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

hmmmm

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    MyInnerShadow

MyInnerShadow

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• This too shall pass.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

I live in Bristol where this is has been quite often reported.  I don't think I've ever heard it myself, but I know a few who say they have, and that it has sometimes driven them half-mad when they're trying to sleep.  I have no idea what to make of it though, the only thing I hear at night (apart from the local owls hooting), is the low, distant sound of the city's traffic, but apparently this is something quite different from that.

#7    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,646 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 28 July 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

hmmmm

Does Monica Lewinski figure in this somehow?

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#8    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 4,467 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

I still think its the ices, these sounds only started being heard when the ices started breaking up in the artics. The earth can make wried sounds in vibration when it makes big changes.

Edited by docyabut2, 29 July 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#9    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

Heart FM in London played the noise a few hours ago and asked listeners to tell them if they heard it....lots said yes but most people heard nothing, only silence.

I didn't listen to it myself, somebody told me about it and I was wondering if anybody here did.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#10    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

So this is like mosquito tones? Only certain people have the physical ability to perceive them?

#11    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,303 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

If that's a bigfoot mating hum, we'll never find the source.

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,448 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Sound travels through water (oceans)  and rock  Much more easily than through air .  I would expect the source might be  Mechanical  (highways?, earth movement,  Ice movement?, machines?)  But since people seem to be inferring that it is a higher frequency hummmm ?   Maybe the cause is Electrical ?  (some sort of resonances created by man made electrical activities?)

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm more interested in why only some people can hear it. In case you aren't familiar, mosquito tones are tones that are at a frequency just outside the range of the average adult. Children and teenagers can hear them as clear as day. Kids were using mosquito tones on their phones so they could get text message alerts in class without the teacher knowing.

#14    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Our son used to be able to tell if the TV was still on, when no one else could hear it. "Don't you hear that?" "Hear what?"
It would drive him crazy.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#15    MrBene

MrBene

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

• A regular guy

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Reminds of what's going on in Taos city.

Edited by MrBene, 02 August 2013 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users