Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Patients should pay us, say doctors

doctors patients fee appointment nhs

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,455 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostMikko-kun, on 26 July 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Ah, that's good then. Here you actually go to see a doctor for that small stuff because you need to prove you're sick. In other words, show your face at the doctor and pick up the paper. Though some workplaces give more leniency in this.

That has always been one of my pet peeves. If something like the flu is going around even doctors don't want to see you if you have the classic symptoms  It isn't usually life threatening and will blow over in a few days...but I don't want someone coming to work, while they are contagious and giving it to everyone else. There have been times when it was so bad even the schools close for a few days because about 50% were infected.

#17    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostMichelle, on 26 July 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

That has always been one of my pet peeves. If something like the flu is going around even doctors don't want to see you if you have the classic symptoms  It isn't usually life threatening and will blow over in a few days...but I don't want someone coming to work, while they are contagious and giving it to everyone else. There have been times when it was so bad even the schools close for a few days because about 50% were infected.

We can bring in the papers later too, I think it's recommended or a must here if you have something contagious, though those things are more seasonal here. You catch it anyhow or dont catch it, unless it's a thing like bird flu. But I guess you got a tad bit different set of germs down there.

I'll be gone.

#18    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,304 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Still there is this misconception that healthcare is free in the UK.  It isn't we pay for it via taxes and national insurance.

Hence why we have some of the highest fuel prices etc.

Posted Image

#19    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,303 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

I took my wife who is a disabled pensioner, to the Dentist,it was a 1 hour session and she was charged £270 ($405). Doctors get paid more than Dentists,so if they start charging there is gonna be a lot of sick people around in future.
Just imagine a visit ,the Doc charges you for a half hour, £135($202) and gives you a packet of pain killers worth £1($1.52),its a rip off.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#20    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

View Postskookum, on 26 July 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Still there is this misconception that healthcare is free in the UK.  It isn't we pay for it via taxes and national insurance.

Hence why we have some of the highest fuel prices etc.

Yeah exactly!  It isn't free, the people who pay their taxes already pay.  So for the average working person they would have to pay twice (yet the people who don't work would get it for free).  This country is getting well screwed up :(

#21    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,543 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

I Ireland we operate a similar system where unless you are on a medical card (means tested free healthcare) you pay a flat €25.00 fee per visit to the GP. Its not so bad and I can see the point the GP's are making. However in the climate of creeping privatization this seems like the start of a very slippery slope which will lead to the same place the dentists are currently at where it has become all but impossible to get NHS treatment.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#22    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

In the UK we pay the doctor's salaries with our taxes, and their salaries are excellent.
I don't mind paying £25 to see my doctor, if they stop taking my National Insurance contributions, cause I will not pay them twice.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#23    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,099 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 26 July 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

I don't know if that's improved since I left, but if you needed an appointment in the UK, it would be nothing short of a miracle to see your GP within 48 hours. I can guarantee getting in the same day here.
I think it depends on the practice and how many Dr's they have. In the one I go to it is possible sometimes to get a same day appointment if it can't wait. They have an 'on duty' Dr for that purpose. Otherwise the next day is the earliest.

Our practice also has an online registration system so we can book our own appointments, request repeat prescriptions etc. online. It's extremely handy.

Posted Image

#24    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postkannin, on 25 July 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

me neither my friend, i never knew either, i must have been blinded by there sports cars or 7 bedroom houses in the burbs, those poor doctors.........pompous f---s
At least in the U.S. doctors are not hurting financially no matter what type of medicine they practice, so I don't see any reason why they should be complaining, even if it is a useless appointment for the patient that patient is still paying so what do they care

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#25    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 26 July 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

At least in the U.S. doctors are not hurting financially no matter what type of medicine they practice, so I don't see any reason why they should be complaining, even if it is a useless appointment for the patient that patient is still paying so what do they care
exactly i dont charge people to walk through my computer repair shop doors and trust me i get stupid apointments

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#26    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,252 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

and yet the vast majority of these doctors received their training free of charge, paid for by the tax payer. its like the flu and any other vaccination for that matter, doctors get paid £7.20 for everyone they do. the more and more i learn about the NHS the more i realise its a cash cow for many. maybe one day we'll get a government who'll get to grips with the system and take it back to its core meaning.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#27    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

im canadian im spoiled in this situation

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#28    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,026 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostMikko-kun, on 26 July 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Ah, that's good then. Here you actually go to see a doctor for that small stuff because you need to prove you're sick. In other words, show your face at the doctor and pick up the paper. Though some workplaces give more leniency in this.
There was some talk here in Australia of having the sick leave certificates available from pharmacists.  I like the idea, if you have a cold or flu, it's pretty obvious anyway and personally I have a much better relationship with my pharmacist than my GP who writes an unintelligible script which I then hand over to the pharmacist who actually EXPLAINS to me what it does and it's possible side effects - he has put me off a script or two as the verdict on the products effectiveness is inconclusive and the side effects not worth the risk compared to how sick I have felt at the time.

I rarely bother with the GP anymore unless I need it for work, As long as I don't need antibiotics or other prescription meds and I'm just trying nip a bad tummy or fever in the bud, a pharmacist will discuss my symptons and dish up what I need to get me back on track.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

Also tagged with doctors, patients, fee, appointment, nhs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users