Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Cain & Abel

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,132 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Um, no doubt this has been discussed on several occasions, but what is the (no doubt) convoluted explanation for Cain & Abel - Adam & Eves only children walking into the desert & mysteriously reappearing sometime later with wives. Who 'begat' the women?

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#2    shrooma

shrooma

Doesn't own a beard.

• 3,936 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 25 July 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Um, no doubt this has been discussed on several occasions, but what is the (no doubt) convoluted explanation for Cain & Abel - Adam & Eves only children walking into the desert & mysteriously reappearing sometime later with wives. Who 'begat' the women?
good question INOT, one i've always wondered about, but not wanted to know the answer to, if you know what i mean?
the mental imagery would scar me for life!!

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#3    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

maybe  god took them from their ribs. or women wernt noted not being patriarchs so their were females born but not noted. that then leaves incest, which results in the copying of two sets of flawed genes but i guess if they had just been created time wouldnt of affected and corrupted those genes, there fore producing healthy offspring.
id prefer to assume people were are outside the garden of eden allready

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,183 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

Otter Zell explained it very will here.
http://caw.org/content/?q=node/65

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,586 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

http://www.letusreas...g/Biblexp15.htm

Not sure how accurate this article is though.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#6    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,652 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Well for starters, Cain and Abel where not the only children of Adam and Eve. The Bible mentions specifically a third son, Seth, and non specific referances to various children afterward. In regards to the wives, Able had not yet married when he was killed, at least by the traditions I know of. As for Cain, he was doomed to wander the world and supposedly later came across one of his sisters and you can imagine what happened there.

So to answer your question, the descendant of Adam and Eve where way to damn close.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#7    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,766 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

View Postshrooma, on 25 July 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

good question INOT, one i've always wondered about, but not wanted to know the answer to, if you know what i mean?
the mental imagery would scar me for life!!
you can always lend me some money and i can tell you the answer XD

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,634 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I was under the impression that Adam, Eve and their horde of kiddies were the first humans to have "the spark of the divine" in them, and not the humans left to run free outside of God's Garden, thus they introduced a specific something into the wild human makeup that made them more intune with the divine.

Or ... here's a wild thought. It's a metaphor.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#9    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,669 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Several theories exist, I'll start with the literal approach first before moving to the metaphorical:

1- Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters not mentioned by name, these daughters married Cain and Abel (and Seth, and others also) and had children.  In this scenario the people were still mirrors of the perfection in Eden and therefore the genetic disorders that came later did not affect the early people.

2- One interesting theory is that Genesis 1 is an overview of the entirety of the earth, while Genesis 2 is a description not of the earth as a whole but a small part of that earth (the Garden of Eden).  In chapter 1 God is described as creating humankind (both male and female).  Then in chapter 2 it describes God creating Adam from the dust of the earth, and then creating Eve from part of Adam's side.  It is possible that God created humans and then created Adam and Eve specially to live in the garden.  Thus when they are kicked out, there are already many people out there (hence why Cain feared for his life when he killed his brother, for he laments "whoever finds me will kill me", a legitimately scared response to being exiled and finding refuge with tribal people aside.  This view suffers from a theological flaw, for if there really was a literal Adam and Eve then through them sin entered the world, but if there were already humans aside from Adam and Eve did they also inherit the sin-nature?

3- The metaphorical approach, and the one I would choose as most likely, is that the story of Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel represents one small part of the pre-Abrahamic oral history of the Hebrew people.  The story may reflect an event that did actually happen but has been appropriated by the oral tradition and turned into a narrative about God.  You can read more about that HERE in a discourse I wrote on it about a year ago now.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#10    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Those were not only children of Adam and Eve.
Adam and Eve were "King and queen" of early men, so there were others people aswell.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,226 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

The faster we as a society forget about that silly book, the better off we'll be.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostRafterman, on 26 July 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

The faster we as a society forget about that silly book, the better off we'll be.
As Torah, Quran etc.?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#13    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,776 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Ever check the translations of the names "Cain" and "Abel?"  "Cain" means a craftsman, the original Mr. Smith, someone who makes things with tools.  In the Exodus, the Kenites were the craftsmen, the ones who made things, like the Arc of the Covenant.  Equivalent to the Egyptian Sementyou.

"Abel" is a herdsman or farmer.  Someone who makes his living from the land.

Their story is the story of hunter-gatherers making the transition to a more-settled agricultural style of living.  The smith killed the hunter-gatherer.

Those are eponymous names - names of ideas, not of people.  They are completely symbolic and don't have to make sense in terms of wives and sweethearts and who did the begatting.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#14    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,397 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

My take is that Adam&Eve story was pretty much independent from Cain&Abel story. They were combined together later on.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#15    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,766 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

everything seemed to be combined and tied together later on in the bible, the book is worse than an epic crime novel series switching up all the time

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users