Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists stop light for 60 seconds

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

A team of researchers has succeeded in finding a way to stop light in its tracks for a full minute.

New Scientist said:

To break the minute barrier, George Heinze and colleagues at the University of Darmstadt, Germany, fired a control laser at an opaque crystal, sending its atoms into a quantum superposition of two states.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

What does it tell us and how can we use it?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#3    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Great!
We can finally start building real lightsabers!

#4    6181143919

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• What a terrible monster I am.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Don't quote me on this, but at the infamous Area 51, they [apparently] already tried and succeeded in building a lightsaber like device but found no use for it. But is it true? I dunno!

#5    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Postthe L, on 26 July 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

What does it tell us and how can we use it?

The question: obvious to everyone

The answer: apparently beyond you. What we can use this for is beyond the dreams of the majority of the masses. What if I said it could give us warp travel, or unlimited energy in 50 years' time? Would you start educating yourself so you could contribute to the works so we could have those things sooner? If the answer is 'no way, I just want to enjoy the results for free', then why bother asking the question? Plain curiosity, which, once answered, is satisfied, the interest subsided, the will to contribute, if ever existed, lost completely, the whole matter settled in your ever-want-to-be-busy mind, which simply says: "next"? Or what?

Best piece of truth I have found so far: http://llresearch.or...of_one_pdf.aspx
A truly free society: https://sites.google...t-economy-today
The true history of our planet: http://www.floating-...rth_history.htm
Dialogues with The Absolute: unveiledsecretsandmessagesoflight.blogspot (dot) co (dot) uk/2011/08/eon-11aug2010.html
A wealth of metaphysical readings with a surprisingly high ratio of truth content: soulwise (dot) net/index-00.htm

#6    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

View Post6181143919, on 26 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Don't quote me on this, but at the infamous Area 51, they [apparently] already tried and succeeded in building a lightsaber like device but found no use for it. But is it true? I dunno!

Well, I'd find a use or two for it

View PostRolci, on 26 July 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

The answer: apparently beyond you. What we can use this for is beyond the dreams of the majority of the masses. What if I said it could give us warp travel, or unlimited energy in 50 years' time? Would you start educating yourself so you could contribute to the works so we could have those things sooner? If the answer is 'no way, I just want to enjoy the results for free', then why bother asking the question? Plain curiosity, which, once answered, is satisfied, the interest subsided, the will to contribute, if ever existed, lost completely, the whole matter settled in your ever-want-to-be-busy mind, which simply says: "next"? Or what?

Wow, did you wake up with the wrong foot today?

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

So you , same as I, dont have clue?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#8    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Interesting to be sure, but it takes a lot of energy to capture the light (LASERS, magnetic fields). Unless they find a very exotic use for the technology, the cost may outweigh the benefit, at least presently.

#9    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,316 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Sorry to burst whatever condescending bubble you're in, but you are way out-of-line.

There was NOTHING wrong with his(the L) comment, but a whole lot with your's.

Edited by pallidin, 26 July 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#10    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostParsec, on 26 July 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Great!
We can finally start building real lightsabers!

That's exactly what I just thought. :tu:

#11    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

All that time and money when I stopped light myself by flicking the switch to off

#12    DemonicCupcake

DemonicCupcake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

• "Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?"

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Why are there never videos of these astonishing feats?????

#13    Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

So they trapped light inside an opaque crystal? How is this different then turning a light on in a room with no windows and saying "I trapped light in a room".

I mean, how can you read the inside of an opaque crystal? How can you "see" past the outside to know there is still light in there? Wouldn't light leave just as fast as you turning off the control laser? I mean obviously you can't get more light in once the control is off..

Looks like they are't really stopping it, just slowing it to the point of it taking a minute to leave the crystal. That is pretty sweet.

Slo-mo for real.

#14    Realm

Realm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

Soon, I can turn the light off and beat it to bed.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#15    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

The old quantum superposition trick eh. Why didn't I think of that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users