Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Bees in danger - it's not just one chemical

bee deaths chemicals studies

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 August 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

Next time I go out into the Northern hills of the island I'll bring you a picture of hives right below a mast. And no CCD. Besides that, in urban areas there are many more mobile communication devices and transceivers.

Try again.

Damn, how did I miss the mobile phone shill money?

I'll have to check that out since I'm already getting the Monsanto, Big Pharma, Fracking, and Illuminati paydays.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#122    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

On a serious note, I'd be interested in folks' take on this article from the Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacit...0471/story.html
There is no bee crisis

Contrary to what you may have heard, there is no “bee-pocalypse.” There is lots of alarmist talk about colony collapse disorder, people are blaming pesticides and talking about hundreds of billions of dollars at risk. But a closer look tells a very different story.

Yes, honeybees are dying in above-average numbers, but the most likely cause is the varroa mite and associated viruses.

Moreover, if you look at the actual numbers, they undermine much of the catastrophic rhetoric. In the United States, where we have good data, beekeepers have adapted to CCD. Colony numbers were higher in 2010 than any year since 1999. The beekeepers are not passive victims.

Instead, they have actively rebuilt their colonies in response to increased mortality from CCD. Although average winter mortality rates have increased from around 15 per cent before 2006 to more than 30 per cent, beekeepers have been able to adapt to these changes at fairly low cost and to maintain colony numbers.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#123    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,831 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostRafterman, on 04 September 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Damn, how did I miss the mobile phone shill money?

I'll have to check that out since I'm already getting the Monsanto, Big Pharma, Fracking, and Illuminati paydays.
Honesty for once :tu:

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#124    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,831 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostRafterman, on 04 September 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

On a serious note, I'd be interested in folks' take on this article from the Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacit...0471/story.html
There is no bee crisis

Contrary to what you may have heard, there is no “bee-pocalypse.” There is lots of alarmist talk about colony collapse disorder, people are blaming pesticides and talking about hundreds of billions of dollars at risk. But a closer look tells a very different story.

Yes, honeybees are dying in above-average numbers, but the most likely cause is the varroa mite and associated viruses.

Moreover, if you look at the actual numbers, they undermine much of the catastrophic rhetoric. In the United States, where we have good data, beekeepers have adapted to CCD. Colony numbers were higher in 2010 than any year since 1999. The beekeepers are not passive victims.

Instead, they have actively rebuilt their colonies in response to increased mortality from CCD. Although average winter mortality rates have increased from around 15 per cent before 2006 to more than 30 per cent, beekeepers have been able to adapt to these changes at fairly low cost and to maintain colony numbers.
Bjorn Lomborg, need I say more.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#125    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

The way to do that is Bjorn Lomborg

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#126    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,229 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 September 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Bjorn Lomborg, need I say more.

Br Cornelius

View Postquestionmark, on 04 September 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

The way to do that is Bjorn Lomborg
At least, his numbers are in "ballpark":

Bee losses for the 2011/2012 winter were 22 percent. This past winter’s losses are slightly higher than the previous 6-year average loss of 30.5 percent.
(link)

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#127    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 06 September 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

At least, his numbers are in "ballpark":
(link)

AS usual I wonder where you get the numbers from, actual peer reviewed studies come to higher numbers, and that only for the winter losses.

But I guess we all eat with our ears, give or take an inch.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#128    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,229 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 06 September 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

AS usual I wonder where you get the numbers from, actual peer reviewed studies come to higher numbers, and that only for the winter losses.

But I guess we all eat with our ears, give or take an inch.
Ok, lets see (from your link)

Our survey quantifies the extent of colony losses in the United States over the winter of 2007–2008.
What number do they put on the table?

As I said, ballpark: in B.Lomborg's "more than 30 per cent", and I linked to USDA ARS webpage (bit outdated (05/06/2013), nevertheless).

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users