Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

After oil's gone, what then?

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#31    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 July 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Not surprising, the first rubber tires were a 95% vegetable product based on a tree sap called caoutchouc.

That makes sense. So the question then is, can algae be processed in enough quantities to maintain the current and future projections of tire needs? Taking into consideration the requirement of algae bio-fuel to replace gasoline.

#32    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,967 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postredhen, on 28 July 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

That makes sense. So the question then is, can algae be processed in enough quantities to maintain the current and future projections of tire needs? Taking into consideration the requirement of algae bio-fuel to replace gasoline.

We have enough marginal lands that can take algae growing tubes. It is less a question of possible but more a question of economics. In this case it would be bad economics for big oil as anybody could grow his own fuel in his backyard.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#33    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 July 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

In this case it would be bad economics for big oil as anybody could grow his own fuel in his backyard.

Again, I realize that there are plenty of alternatives for petrol/gasoline, hell, you can run diesel trucks on cooking oil. My concern is with tires. Can you make tires out of algae in your backyard?

Time's running out and I don't see any replacements for oil, not for fuel, but for everything else.

#34    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,967 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

View Postredhen, on 28 July 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

Again, I realize that there are plenty of alternatives for petrol/gasoline, hell, you can run diesel trucks on cooking oil. My concern is with tires. Can you make tires out of algae in your backyard?

Time's running out and I don't see any replacements for oil, not for fuel, but for everything else.

As you can see from Tiggs post, YES.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#35    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 July 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

As you can see from Tiggs post, YES.

Ok, guess we'll wait and see how this turns out.

#36    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,730 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

I needn't worry about tyres, or tires, too much. i'm sure they'll think of something, and besides, like I said, if there isn't such heavy dependence on motor vehicle traffic, there won't be so much demand for tyres or tires, will there.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#37    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,346 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 July 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Not surprising, the first rubber tires were a 95% vegetable product based on a tree sap called caoutchouc. The other 5% several stabilizers and chimney ash.
You wouldn't get a puncture as they were solid.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#38    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 28 July 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

BioAlgae has none of these issues and helps to capture carbon on power station stacks. in this specific case your judgement is ill judged.

It has the basic issue that you have to put in more energy than you get out of it.
And your "judgement" seems to simply reflect the general PC slogans of our age, which you probably copy right from the Guardian, the NYT, or the Al-BBC, and which are all ill-judged.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#39    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 29 July 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

It has the basic issue that you have to put in more energy than you get out of it.
And your "judgement" seems to simply reflect the general PC slogans of our age, which you probably copy right from the Guardian, the NYT, or the Al-BBC, and which are all ill-judged.
Explain how it requires more energy  inputs than output ?
You are wrong, it represents one of the only promising forms of biofuel out there. Up until now there have been to many technical issues with developing it - but it seems the Spanish have perfected the technique.

It is basic photosythesis with cost effective carbon capture as a realistic option. It is literally the only biofuel I am optimistic about.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#40    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,967 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 29 July 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

You wouldn't get a puncture as they were solid.

Wrong, I am talking about the inflatable tires invented by a Scottish veterinarian/dentist called John Boyd Dunlop in 1887. At that time there was no photochemistry yet.

about me

#41    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 29 July 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Explain how it requires more energy  inputs than output ?
You are wrong, it represents one of the only promising forms of biofuel out there. Up until now there have been to many technical issues with developing it - but it seems the Spanish have perfected the technique.

It only "seems" so to you because you want to believe.
You must have missed the desciption in the article about the effort needed to put in to feed and control the algae and then to process the result.

What the Spanish have perfected is draining EU subsidies for these kind of things.... reminds of these famous Spanish solar plants that used artificial light to shine on the panels so that they could "produce" energy and collect government pork at night.

Anyway, lets see how your algea will survive the coming cuts in Spanish green energy "stimulus" programs:

http://www.humaneven...-green-economy/

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#42    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 29 July 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

It only "seems" so to you because you want to believe.
You must have missed the desciption in the article about the effort needed to put in to feed and control the algae and then to process the result.

What the Spanish have perfected is draining EU subsidies for these kind of things.... reminds of these famous Spanish solar plants that used artificial light to shine on the panels so that they could "produce" energy and collect government pork at night.

Anyway, lets see how your algea will survive the coming cuts in Spanish green energy "stimulus" programs:

http://www.humaneven...-green-economy/
I was asking for proof not your opinion. I am not interested in your opinion since it is so devoid of anything other than OPINION.
Its a difficult process to control - but show me the negative energy balance !!

Can you show me a Spanish solar plant which attempted to use perpetual motion to generate energy. Again, show me the proof not the Rhetoric.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#43    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,967 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 29 July 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

Wrong, I am talking about the inflatable tires invented by a Scottish veterinarian/dentist called John Boyd Dunlop in 1887. At that time there was no photochemistry petrochemistry yet.

Sometimes I hate auto-corrections.

about me

#44    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 29 July 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Can you show me a Spanish solar plant which attempted to use perpetual motion to generate energy. Again, show me the proof not the Rhetoric.
Br Cornelius

Since the Spaniards manage to produce solar energy at night:

http://bishophill.sq...3/its-true.html

You can be sure that they also manage to produce lots of gasoline from their algea tanks (as long as a gas station is nearby).

Generous subsidies make all sorts of miracles possible.

#45    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 29 July 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Since the Spaniards manage to produce solar energy at night:

http://bishophill.sq...3/its-true.html

You can be sure that they also manage to produce lots of gasoline from their algea tanks (as long as a gas station is nearby).

Generous subsidies make all sorts of miracles possible.
Your talking about a fraud conducted by using diesel generators. Not in any way the preposterous notion that they were generating energy by using arc lamps (a physical impossibility). I suggest that that is a failure of regulation and audits - plain and simple fraud. We have laws to deal with frauds and when people are caught they will suffer the full penalty of the law.

So much bile - how do you sleep at night :w00t:

How do you feel about subsidizing coal, oil and Nuclear - are you just as passionate or do you reserve you venom for the greens alone ??

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 29 July 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users