Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Will alien life be post-biological ?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16    Ugly1

Ugly1

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostParsec, on 30 July 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Welcome to Motoko Kusanagi (or Alita)'s world!

Anyway, I think it depends on the technology you would use.
If you just upload a copy of your mental scheme, it would be like a double. So you should still be you, and your robotic self a robotic copy, acting on its own. Like a clone, but mechanic.
If you'd project your thoughts in the machine, it would be like you wrote "a puppet with a puppeteer" (like Bruce Willis's "Surrogates").
If instead you'd upload your consciousness, your real self, I think it would be like a body transfer, so you'd become the machine, and your biologic body an empty shell.
Well, since for now this is all sci-fi, I think that all the possibilities and the answers are correct :lol:

Thinking back on the movie surrogates of how they made the population of non robots seem completely destroyed in the sense of physical wellness. I think it would be a major problem for live thought projection into a machine to make it complete tasks. There would be no point in having a surrogate do tasks for you full time as you would become frail, possibly obese, bed sores and any other long list of problems from lack of mobility. However for temporary assistance I do think that a surrogate system could be very beneficial. Imagine people in high impact jobs such as a construction worker or professional wrestler could simply send their mechanical body double in to absorb the wear and tear of the job.

Now that I've actually thought about this it does not sound far fetched at all for me to imagine that companies will be providing this in the future to some of their workers, for a cost of course. They can promote these machines as making an extremely dangerous job about as dangerous as watching T.V. while still giving the employee the "choice" in using or not using the machine. Keep in mind these will cost you money to operate (Deduct from you pay). Now that employee that chooses not to use the machine will be faced with the problem that they will not be able to keep up with the pace that the person that chooses to use the machine will be going. Now if you have a job where you are shoveling, climbing, lifting, etc and you are required to take a break every 15 minutes or so to rest, while there is someone else who could do the job without taking breaks for the entire 10 hour shift. I think you would be worried about job security. Due to this alone although you had a "Choice" to use the machine or not, there would never really be a choice in the matter. This would be a great way to make further profits off of your workforce while making your job safety record impeccable as far as job site injuries.

I feel like I am pitching a million dollar idea to an investor or helping a board of directors determine the best way to further expand profit making from their workforce. I'm available for hire. PM me. :tsu:

On another note. WTH am I talking about?

#17    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,332 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

Now I wonder if those aliens can turn into a Peterbilt 18-wheeler or a Chevy Camaro....

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#18    kapow53

kapow53

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

• Kapow

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

No doubt about it

#19    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,425 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

Thermo Boost On ! THey Will Freeze us ,slice us Dice us And Dine on us ! It Could Happen ! :alien: :no:
Nah ! Were full of really bad taste !

This is a Work in Progress!

#20    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,332 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

I honestly don't care if they are either organic or mechanical. What I care about is their attitude on us and other creatures of the Earth. I have no problem with greeting real life Autobots.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#21    brainiac

brainiac

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Of course what we are seeing on the sky are alien probes an alien drones.

#22    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,514 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Postbrainiac, on 30 July 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Of course what we are seeing on the sky are alien probes an alien drones.
or misidentified natural phenomena, terrestrial aircraft, chinese lanterns etc.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#23    gOOgLer

gOOgLer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

"If we ever encounter extraterrestrial intelligence, I believe it is overwhelmingly likely to be post-biological in nature."
Perhaps the same post/non-biological intelligence exists on Earth today. Perhaps non biological intelligence is older than biological one,...

#24    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,514 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 30 July 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

What I care about is their attitude on us and other creatures of the Earth. I have no problem with greeting real life Autobots.
but the flipside of that coin Ron, is of course, The Decepticons.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#25    darkwhiz

darkwhiz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

From the point of view people 50 years ago thinks that our live is that of a Sci-fi Book.
But From our point of view people 50 ahead of our time is that of a sci-fi movies.
Alien may just be a point of view from the future, Some planet travels at different time
than ours.

#26    Atagal

Atagal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

First, pfff.

#27    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I agree, but I'd add that artificial life is not limited to robots and probes. Artificial life could include sophisticated nanotechnology(like Stargate SG-1's Replicators) or artificial genetic codes(similar to the newly created XNA). They may be biological while at the same time a product of an artificial process, like some kind of vat-grown space explorer. After all there's no risk to the creator species to send such creatures to other stars.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#28    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,338 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

If an alien sentience is mechanical (or non-biological) then the question should be asked if it is, in fact, life? While our [human] definition of life may not be universal, indeed it is disputed even amongst ourselves, it does stipulate by default a biological organism - hence the term Biology for the study of living organisms.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#29    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

I think it likely that a great deal of extraterrestrial intelligence will be post-biological; or, perhaps not entirely post-biological (biotechnology is a viable field). A post-singularitan, technology-synthesized alien civilization is not impossible.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#30    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,338 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostArbitran, on 24 August 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

I think it likely that a great deal of extraterrestrial intelligence will be post-biological; or, perhaps not entirely post-biological (biotechnology is a viable field). A post-singularitan, technology-synthesized alien civilization is not impossible.

True, but much of this revolves around the assumption that mechanical computing is the equivalent of biological thought.

And capability is not equivalent to capacity, so the predictions about the total computing power of computers may not be applicable when considering artificial intelligence.

Life has sentience, and thinks. Mechanical devices compute. But who decided these two phenomena were either the same, or even so similar as to be considered "cousins"?

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users