Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Will alien life be post-biological ?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 24 August 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

True, but much of this revolves around the assumption that mechanical computing is the equivalent of biological thought.

And capability is not equivalent to capacity, so the predictions about the total computing power of computers may not be applicable when considering artificial intelligence.

Life has sentience, and thinks. Mechanical devices compute. But who decided these two phenomena were either the same, or even so similar as to be considered "cousins"?

I'm afraid it's not really my area of expertise.

As a biologist with some knowledge of the brain's workings, I think computation could be a sort of "cousin" to biological thought. As I say, it's not my area of expertise, but I think it's a reasonable possibility.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#32    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

I think it probable, for the reasons many have cited on this thread. No need to carry food or water, no worries about physical disability, and stuff like that.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#33    Gomar

Gomar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

It is logical to assume intelligent species in this galaxy, or any other, would build machines, probes, ships, AI, robots to explore the universe instead of risking living beings.
Yes, these machines could exist for perhaps thousands of years carrying messages from their builders.
Even at 1/10th SOL if sent 1,000,000 ago atleast 1 probe out of 1000 should have found Earth.

However, consider these questions:
A)Why hasnt the Earth been contacted by any probes or signals?
B)Earth has not been invaded, colonized, conquered, mined, by aliens.
C)Frozen embryos or DNA could be onboard probes or ships woken up upon discovery of a habitable planet.

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostGomar, on 31 August 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

It is logical to assume intelligent species in this galaxy, or any other, would build machines, probes, ships, AI, robots to explore the universe instead of risking living beings.
Yes, these machines could exist for perhaps thousands of years carrying messages from their builders.
Even at 1/10th SOL if sent 1,000,000 ago atleast 1 probe out of 1000 should have found Earth.

C)Frozen embryos or DNA could be onboard probes or ships woken up upon discovery of a habitable planet.
A) How do we know it hasn't? If a probe came into our solar system and hung out for 10,000 years, what fraction of the time life has existed on Earth is that? Even if we assume 2 billion years, then that 10k is 1/20,000 of 1 percent. They could easily have come and gone.

B) Same here. They could have easily come and gone. Gone why? Who knows? But the math says it could have happened easily.

C) See the Pan-Spermia theory, assisted by alien intellegence.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,374 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostGomar, on 31 August 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Yes, makes sense.

Yes, they very well could.

No. I think you underestimate the size of our galaxy. There is an estimated 100-400 billion stars in it and all could potentially have planets. The chance of a probe finding us is, to put it mildly, minuscule.

Why should Earth have been contacted? And how? Radio signal die out pretty fast looking at these scales.

Again, why? E.g., mining is a lot cheaper if done from rocks in space. No need to lift resources out of the gravity well of Earth.

They could indeed.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Edited by badeskov, 01 September 2013 - 11:47 PM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#36    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,836 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

ANd the answer is ! YEs to All . Anything is possible we just have to wait and Keep on Looking Up ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#37    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,111 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

To me it begs the question whether a machine, no matter how intelligent could truly be thought of as alive. I think true AI may be possible with quantum computers modeled on the human brain and perhaps self aware. They could be programmed to replicate themselves, but does this really equate to being "alive"?

#38    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,836 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 02 September 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

To me it begs the question whether a machine, no matter how intelligent could truly be thought of as alive. I think true AI may be possible with quantum computers modeled on the human brain and perhaps self aware. They could be programmed to replicate themselves, but does this really equate to being "alive"?
It wouldnt matter If they Think they are Alive, Specially If there calling the Shots When we meet them? :gun:
They just might be quite a Bit smarter,and Stronger ! And wouldnt even need to Eat us,but maybe control us!

#39    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,355 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 02 September 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

It wouldnt matter If they Think they are Alive, Specially If there calling the Shots When we meet them? :gun:
They just might be quite a Bit smarter,and Stronger ! And wouldnt even need to Eat us,but maybe control us!

Don't be so sure about that. Even we have the tech to build a robot powered by consuming organic matter...

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#40    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,111 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

Yeah I guess it wouldn't matter if you were confronted by one of these machines. I was asking more in a philosophical sense

#41    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,836 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

your quite right spacecowboy342 ! AI machines that could infact be Thousands &Thousands of years in our advance,Could of actually gained the quality`s of Living beings ! We are on the threshold of this tech as we type. Maybe a few hundred years ANd were there ! So ITs going to be intresting to see Where we go and what they do ! :tu: My Mac is aready smarter than me !

#42    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

i agree with those thinking  ...  if it's not biological,  it's not life?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#43    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,111 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

View Postlightly, on 03 September 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

i agree with those thinking  ...  if it's not biological,  it's not life?
Definitely blurs the line though

#44    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,836 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

We shall see I bet sooner than Later ! :tu: JMO

#45    psychicjlee

psychicjlee

Alien Embryo

• Pip