Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Problem with Werewolves

werewolves nick redfern

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,988 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Just the other night, I did a radio show which briefly touched upon my research and writing in the field of werewolves. One of the things I noted to the host is that despite the fact that most people think werewolves are born out of nothing more than fantasy, folklore, legend, and movie-scripts, the reality is that reports of dog-headed humanoids, and creatures that sound just like the classic imagery of werewolves, absolutely abound, and have done so for centuries.

http://mysteriousuni...ith-werewolves/

Posted Image

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Utter and complete hogwash.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#3    grc

grc

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• Out of my mind, back in five minutes.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

This subject is like the Loch Ness Monster, many reports, almost no pictures and the ones that are out there are fake. So until we get some real pics or videos with one of them I will consider them just a myth.

"Bigfoot is blurry!" -Mitch Hedberg

#4    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 29 July 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Just the other night, I did a radio show which briefly touched upon my research and writing in the field of werewolves. One of the things I noted to the host is that despite the fact that most people think werewolves are born out of nothing more than fantasy, folklore, legend, and movie-scripts, the reality is that reports of dog-headed humanoids, and creatures that sound just like the classic imagery of werewolves, absolutely abound, and have done so for centuries.

http://mysteriousuni...ith-werewolves/

There are a host of creatures who share the distinction of cropping up in mythologies the world over. They are simply common archetypes, and their existence proves nothing other than the fact that humans admired certain animals and wished they possessed some of their abilities.

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostDystOpt, on 29 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

There are a host of creatures who share the distinction of cropping up in mythologies the world over. They are simply common archetypes, and their existence proves nothing other than the fact that humans admired certain animals and wished they possessed some of their abilities.

Or were terrified of them because they tended to eat them on occasion.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

#6    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Let's not forget that this type of stuff is how Nick Redfern puts food on his table

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#7    Dougward5

Dougward5

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• " silver bullets ain't cheap"
    www.realwerewolfhunters.com

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

My take on this is that werewolves as shapeshifters probably do not exist. I do however suspect that the southern Skunk ape ( like in the Clanton ,Alabama sighting) is one and the same as Loup Garou .  There are a lot of things out in the woods and swamps that hide really well. ..hell the State wildlife folks down here say that no big cats are in these woods.  Every local knows different.
As for werewolves I will let you know for sure when we find one...

#8    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

I still find it amazing how many people have found they can make a living doing this sort of thing. There's obviously something wrong with me that I can't do it as well.

#9    Dougward5

Dougward5

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• " silver bullets ain't cheap"
    www.realwerewolfhunters.com

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

@Keninsc  From what I have been told  the hard part is  getting the nerve to print the business cards....

#10    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostDougward5, on 30 July 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

My take on this is that werewolves as shapeshifters probably do not exist. I do however suspect that the southern Skunk ape ( like in the Clanton ,Alabama sighting) is one and the same as Loup Garou .  There are a lot of things out in the woods and swamps that hide really well. ..hell the State wildlife folks down here say that no big cats are in these woods.  Every local knows different.

That's where the idea proposed by several leading cryptozoologists (including Loren Coleman and Mark A. Hall) comes in: that the loup garou of Louisiana, certain skunk apes, and the occasional Midwest reports of "kangaroos" (and perhaps the Michigan Dogman) are all one creature, some sort of baboon-like primate. This hypothetical creature is often referred to as a "devil monkey" and would seem to inhabit most of North America, with a good number of sightings seeming to take place along the Mississippi Basin in the south and midwest. Devil monkeys have the characteristic doglike face of the loup garou and Dogman, as well as a leaping gait that leads some witnesses to mistake them for kangaroos. Some reports also paint them as being occasional vicious predators, which would certainly fit with the hypothesis that they're some sort of baboon.

View PostDystOpt, on 29 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

See, that's a good theory, up to a point. For werewolves, it works very well, men transforming into animals is the kind of thing that every culture could come up with. But then you start looking more closely at things, and every now and then you'll come across several myths from wildly different groups around the world that share uncannily specific details. For example, in the mythology of the British Isles, unwary travellers would often be led astray by the wee folk, or fairies. In the Slavic countries, crossing paths with the lesovik could leave one hopelessly lost. And in the Philippines, the tikbalang plays tricks on people walking in the forest, endlessly returning them to the same place, or confusing them until they lose their way. So what's the connection? Getting lost is of course human nature, and being taken by the fairies (or lesovik, or tikbalang) would make for a convenient excuse for doing so.

But the tikbalang, the wee folk and the lesovik can all be repelled by wearing one or more items of clothing inside out.

Edited by Ravinoff, 30 July 2013 - 03:26 AM.

#11    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

And my great grandmother insisted that putting your shoes under the foot of your bed with one facing out and one facing in would cure nightmares.

Trying to make sense of folk knowledge that was passed down through a largely oral tradition is an exercise in futility. First, you would have to be in that time and place to understand any practical application of wearing articles of clothing inside out might have, but it's not difficult to surmise that telling children a cautionary tale about following strange noises and lights in a dark forest is something that all cultures around the world could come up with on their own.

#12    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

So basically, the OP article contends werewolves are simply an undiscovered zoologically sound species of wolf that walks upright at times, as well as on all fours. (Shame on you paranormalists!)
And shapeshifting "Hollywood" werewolf reports make up a very small percentage of sightings. (Shame on you skeptics!)

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#13    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,267 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostRafterman, on 29 July 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Utter and complete hogwash.
Correction, complete and utter dogwash.....   :lol:

Posted Image

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostDougward5, on 30 July 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

No, they're clearly misidentified Bigfoot.

Would those be the same locals like those last week from Louisiana that swore up and down that they had a black panther in their back yard, but yet when game and fish showed up and compared the image to a full sized panther silhouette, it became clear that what they saw was a big housecat.

#15    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Clearly, the people from Fish and Game were involved in a cover up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users